Considering Jumping In/ Advise would be helpful

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi All,

I'm considering getting into the business....I'm 50 years young and in good health ...been driving part-time for a number of years but never got my CDL(I know that was not to smart) (mostly stright trucks under 25999#.

Have discussed the situation extensively with my wife and will actually want her to join me in about 8-12 months (she has her CDL/Air...former School Bus Driver for years).

For now I'm needing to get on the road (probably 1/1/2004)...to make $$$$...Things have caused out savings to dwindle to near 0 and making "good" money is my ultimate goal...

Would appreciate any discussions we could get going on what "real" money I could make...things like: you pay fuel vs they pay fuel, the fuel tax, the deadhead % of total weekly miles and will they pay...I've read a lot .....
I have to work for someone right now...but I'm business smart and understand that having a few trucks in my stall could be my ultimate $$$ maker..

Help me get started...you know the old saying "Knowledge is POWER"...

Thanks,

tazman (Frank):)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Considering Jumping In/ Advise would be helpfu

I hate to tell you this but this is not a good time of the year to be jumping in.Unless you have the financial resources to ride it out untill business picks up in the spring.Apr thru Oct are the best months.I the meantime explore the archives here at EO.There is a world of info here I wish I had avail when I started in Oct of '88.
To get your feet wet you might want to drive for a owner.If you do try to check out their refrences (as they will yours).Then tell them what your plans are regarding any future purshases of equipment,so there will be no hard feelings when you make the change.It is excellent your spouce wants to co-drive.Husband wife teams seem to fair best in this business.BEST OF LUCK.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter

IF THE NAMES WERE CHANGED THE STORY WOULD BE THE SAME...or some such lyric, take the leap ! What ive found out is that this expediting thing is relatively in its infancy ,historically speaking of course. your going to have a tuff time if you dont have a cdl ,least amount of endorsments needed BUT and its a biggee is ya want to get the Hazmat endorsement how your going to do that without at least a class b is well im not sure.A school will cost 3800,about, if your not going to run witht a "co that pays to learn" If you got toys to sell DO IT,if your serious about makin it,(*most knowledge youll have to learn by yourself. SOME Folks hate to divuldge certain info ,kinda like blabbing about the fishin hole that can fill your limit in three hrs. Not sayin thats bad but we all gotta eat ya know?*) unless your a Rockefeler, have wads of cash laying around . Its taken me 3 months and two false starts, just to sort thru the BS from recruiters and truck salesman ,after sellin it all ive got 800 bux left second largest "investment was" insurance,absolutely outrageous! dont let this discourage you tho because the best investment is one you make in yourself! FINALLY will be startin real quick like,with the help from these good folks here...THANKS GUYS AN GALS... learn all you can, use your searchengine, googles, especially,youd be amazed at what you may find thier! Ive even found posts ive made from two years ago REMEMBER nothin is PRIVATE nowadays especially if you do the net thing (off topic but tbss)...Sorry i cant help much but i wanted to point out something...Now this is if your kinda finacially ok ,this time of year IS GREAT to learn the ropes cause you got the time and your dispatcher wont be screamin at you 24-7 ya know ? Be certain you dont mind gettin out of bed at 3 am and drivin to hellanback, in iniclement weather...remember also that there may be a few thousand folks who are depending on that thing your hauling for thier livlihood as its all needed "yesterday",whether its 2000 lb generator, a frozen kidney,or a 25 cent computer chip, thats why you get paid a premium (compared to 28 cts a mile,in reality after costs you wont be maikin whole lot more)...you can be thier hero or thier hangman...if you dont thrive on a bit of stress then DONT BOTHER...just the truth my friend...another thing is you wont get rich ,by a long shot, but you should never be bored either ( for the life of me where the heck do people get the idea that thiers "real money" to be made in this biz? )... One reason i absolutely love trucking is that you never know whats around the corner yet alone what tommorrow will bring ! IF you live for a challenge and have a thing so rare nowadays called "character" then just go for it ! Well that was a lot of sidetrackin , sorry...best to ya! Most important is that you gotta love the road !!!!!!!!!!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Thank You Whiterabbit!!!!!! :7 :7 :7 Made be back up and re-think things.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter

Thank you Tea ! if it wasnt for you and all else whove kept this site up an runnin ,i honestly dont know where id be at this juncture ! It was you guys that gave me the hope that there truly is a "way if theres a will" . Litterally youve saved my hide and selfrespect
...i went thru some times for the past two years whom i wouldnt wish on "most" anybody ( i can think of a few ;),LOL )...but dug my heels in and when i looked into my kids eyes and when they said "you can do it dad, screw them " (no one here) i saw something ...well if "kids" can have that kind of faith whom am i ? sort of a "out of the mouth of babes" thing , ya know? **** TAZ, YOU and with the support of your "better" half can do it to , theres certainly room for plenty more...Seeing that your wife already has her Qualifyin credentials, cept the hazmat no biggee tho simple test but dont take it for granted for sure,! She might want to ck into a assumed name biz thing from your county , its a simple form and i believe she could qualify you for the cdl thing especially if your "only" considering a cargo van least amount of outgo im thinking, then you can move on up . When you talk to recruiters go with yur gut feelings some are just script readers and some really have the companys and your best interests at heart...watch out for the dirt bags there are plenty,if they talk about bein able to get away from your wife or girlfreind its a huge redflag cause if the co. will let these guys get away with these kind of shenanigans and recruiting practices just think about what they think of a " nobody ". My hats of to Conways recruiter,( no im not workin for them ) but you got to have a c unit at this time, im thinkin, they , Conway along with Panther,c units and up, have lists of owners looking for operators willin to do a 60-40 split , but your responsible for fuel and tolls , my son in laws uncle an aunt work with Panther and have nothin but good things to say about Panther, and i did have a good repore with their recruiter,Dave Smith,good patient fellow . Id really like to warn you about another but cant afford a slander suit AT THIS TIME,itll be obvious quickly if you talk to em , unless they read this but if its the truth then its not slanderous is it? ,fair warning ! LOL... Oh yeh dont mention your wife right off the bat , for obvious reasons , mention you can do the team driving thing tho and youll travel to whereever for the orientation etc. and wont mind bein out for days, an bunches of doors will open if they hire newbies that is...as a team you CAN make some really decent coin, ( forgot you can do the team thing , my bad ) when things are hoppin,70 to 90 gross possibly! and nowadys what with wages and all, as they are, its most excellent bread and i think the tides finally turning so the dough will be rising, (oh brother)...so in retrospect GO FOR IT ! you wont know untill you try and its all good experience cause one thing will play off of another, thats one thing i have learned in MY 50 yrs! and learned it i have ! ;)..., oh yeh you might want to keep the cb off if your wifes with ya , sad but true, i just dont get it the way some so called " drivers " talk, trash and stuff ,some of the trashtalk ,are, in reality, nondrivers talkin from a baseunit who are insecure bout thier manhood ,color etc. but then they surely arent " Knights Of The Road " cheeeez off topic agin ! Welp many blessings , da WR :)