Big Truck Company jobs?

Jasmine

New Recruit
Driver
Hi there, so I'm preferably looking for a company job with a 22' or larger straight truck with a sleeper cab. Any companies out there?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi there, so I'm preferably looking for a company job with a 22' or larger straight truck with a sleeper cab. Any companies out there?
There are several tl and ltl companies that have employee drivers, but not so much in expedite where most are owner/operators.

Jasmine

New Recruit
Driver
Really? I've been trying to look up stuff about these trucks for awhile now and all I've seen are expediter.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Really? I've been trying to look up stuff about these trucks for awhile now and all I've seen are expediter.
Ah, you did say straight truck! My bad.

Your best bet is to drive for a fleet owner.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most positions in Expedite are going to be on a 1099 basis if you dont own your own truck. I only know of 3 fleet owners who have drivers they pay as employees on a 1040 basis.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In other words, in expediting, you'll be an independent contractor running your own small business, instead of an employee.

It's important that you adjust your mindset accordingly.

Jasmine

New Recruit
Driver
If the pay is worth it then that is fine. I'm mostly wanting to get away from the fuel and maintenance expenses.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Even if you drive for a fleet owner, you're still likely to have the fuel expenses. Standard split is 60/40 with the 60 going to the driver and the driver paying fuel and tolls. Fleet owners well know that drivers will idle 24/7 and deadhead all over Hell's half acre of it's on someone else's dime.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can try Expeditor Services. They are a 60/40 split team. You pay nothing. They pay all fuel and tolls.

Jasmine

New Recruit
Driver
Btw, don't know if I mentioned that I am currently a lease driver of a full size freight shaker.
So has anyone tried running hotshot boards when they either have to dead head long distances or else will be seeing for a few days?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Btw, don't know if I mentioned that I am currently a lease driver of a full size freight shaker.
So has anyone tried running hotshot boards when they either have to dead head long distances or else will be seeing for a few days?

If you drive a big rig and you think you sit too much, driving a straight truck will cause you to sit 2 to 3 times more.

Jasmine

New Recruit
Driver
That's pretty much all I needed to know right there.
How do you guys make money if your sitting so much!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Without a doubt, the biggest obstacle in expediting that truck drivers coming from general trucking face is the sitting. Many can't handle it and are gone within a month or two. They believe the notion that "if your wheels ain't turnin' you ain't earnin'" and to a large degree that's true in general trucking. But in expediting, it's not about the miles, it's about the revenue. In general trucking, a team might have to run 5000 or 6000 miles a week in order to make the same revenue that 3000 miles in a team straight truck will get you in expediting. Plus, most straight trucks are gonna get 10-12 MPG, which adds up to serious money on 150,000 miles a year.

One advantage to the sitting is you can get out and do stuff when not on a load. Instead of running yourself ragged, you can take in the sights, like visiting the Grand Canyon instead of just driving by it, or going to the:cactus:Sonora Desert in Arizona, or the:whale:catfish ponds in Mississippi. Or, and this is a biggie, you can go on a dewy, mossy:walking:hike at Multnomah Falls! (I crack myself up)

Basically, you make a lot more per mile, so you make the same or more money on considerably less miles.

Jasmine

New Recruit
Driver
Hey, I've been to Multnomah falls, very beautiful! Hmmmm, so much to think on. Making that more per mile must not be at custom critical. They start at $1.25 loaded miles.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
IMG_0530a.jpg

Making that more per mile must not be at custom critical. They start at $1.25 loaded miles.
Well, that's in addition to the $0.75 per deadhead mile, and plus FSC. If you're driving for a fleet owner and are getting the 40%, that's $0.50 per mile, which is on the high end of general trucking. If you're getting the 60%, that's $0.75 per mile plus the FSC. FedEx may still have the sexy name, but their days of being the expedite carrier to driver for is over. There are many that pay better and treat their contractors like actual people.

Be that as it may, how much do you get paid currently?