Commercial Vans Survey

C

cperelgutseq

Hey all,*

I'm currently doing some research for Mercedes-Benz Canada on what folks look for when purchasing commercial vans. Instead of sending a set of questions out to a mailing list as is usually done, I thought I'd come ask folks in this community for their opinion on the matter. You guys are much more knowledgeable on this subject matter than most folks, so it seems appropriate that I start here.*

It's just a set of 7 or 8 questions and you'll also have an opportunity to participate in an exclusive advisory panel with Mercedes-Benz, to provide your valuable input.

Here's a link:*https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WBCYHF9

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Took the survey, straightforward, quick and easy. Didn't sign up to participate in the advisory board, tho.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
The only things I'd like to see changed in the sprinter.

Wider! Many of us sleep sideways in our vans. Very hard to do in a sprinter due to width.

Bring back the 5 cylinder. The MPG is much better.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Please take a moment and fill their survey out - Thanks! Anything we can do to help manufacturers understand our industry - the better we'll all be.

Please identify yourself as an Expediter! :eek:

Thanks!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yep. Where it asks how you use it, rather than check "Delivery Service", put "Expedite Freight Delivery" or something like that in the "Other" field. :)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Yep. Where it asks how you use it, rather than check "Delivery Service", put "Expedite Freight Delivery" or something like that in the "Other" field. :)

The manufacturers need to understand that we are using these vehicles for long haul use with idle time.

Note that you are OTHER: EXPEDITER! :cool:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Lawrence, as I have asked Ford and GM both why they don't do more, they have been clear that the costs to them to custom build a vehicle for us would not make a bit of sense because the market is so small and maybe less than 1% of their entire sales, they could not recoup the costs needed to build something that is legally safe for us to use. I have been asked several times before about rates, processes and so on and one thing that I have pointed out is the fact that with the rates that we are seeing with van loads, vans are held on to past their depreciation cycle so sales won't be that great.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I also took the survey, my biggest aggravation with the Sprinter is the fact the 3500 (9900 pound rating), places the dual tires "inboard" making the distance between the wheel wells unacceptable for most standard pallet freight as standard is 48x40 inches.

Another thing is the availibility of parts, such as a U joint ... "oh no, sir, you have to purchase an ENTIRE driveline, there are no U Joints available ... $1500.00", things like this make the Sprinter undesireable.

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
Lawrence, as I have asked Ford and GM both why they don't do more, they have been clear that the costs to them to custom build a vehicle for us would not make a bit of sense because the market is so small and maybe less than 1% of their entire sales, they could not recoup the costs needed to build something that is legally safe for us to use. I have been asked several times before about rates, processes and so on and one thing that I have pointed out is the fact that with the rates that we are seeing with van loads, vans are held on to past their depreciation cycle so sales won't be that great.

I have considered the conversion such as they use for "Handi Vans", with the raised roof. I think it would work just fine?

Something like this?

http://www.mobilitytransportation.com/images/gallery/MTSTV/Ext ADA, 24 inch top.JPG

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 32

60MPH

Expert Expediter

Great response Greg, could not of said it better myself. Those that run for no money do not have the money to by a new unit every 3 years. Maybe some of you drivers/owners (ALL SIZE UNITS) should think of that next time before accepting substandard rates.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I have considered the conversion such as they use for "Handi Vans", with the raised roof. I think it would work just fine?

Something like this?

http://www.mobilitytransportation.com/images/gallery/MTSTV/Ext%20ADA,%2024%20inch%20top.JPG

I ran the heck out of this..

nationalparks031-1.jpg

Belonged to a cricket farmer (kid you not!) in PA before I bought it. He said the bubble top was rather cheap, 1000 bucks I think it was. However, to raise the doors up was 1800 more. I wish they had done that to mine. All the space on top was great for keeping my crap and standing up, but didn't do much for tall loads.

Last edited by a moderator:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I'd make it 54" wide inside (narrower overall) for highway fuel economy, and at least 16' long cargo area, 10,000 GVW with ONLY 4 WHEELS and 54" between the wheelwells, even if it meant flares at the back wheels. Number one would be an all aluminum body for increased weight capacity with a close 2nd is having it built 100% in the USA!

I think it is SUPER STUPID to build a 9,900 GVW Sprinter that has 6 wheels and only 40" between the wheelwells and is 6" short of carrying 4 48" skids! German Engineering??? Duh!!! Give me good old American common sense!

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Lawrence, as I have asked Ford and GM both why they don't do more, they have been clear that the costs to them to custom build a vehicle for us would not make a bit of sense because the market is so small and maybe less than 1% of their entire sales, they could not recoup the costs needed to build something that is legally safe for us to use.

Greg,

Next time you talk to them please emphasize that it isn't a custom built vehicle that we're looking for. We are looking for a big empty shell that more than expediters will be happy to move into.
The survey was painless. My application was: over-the-road expedited freight transport.

eb

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
the sprinter in a good van when it is running right, but the other problems are, is it is hard to find a mechanic that knows how to work on them, and another downfall is the parts for these are very expensive and almost always have to be ordered somewhere, the next van i will buy will be a gm or ford, and i am relly thinking about a gas engine instead of diesel

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I'd make it 54" wide inside (narrower overall) for highway fuel economy, and at least 16' long cargo area, 10,000 GVW with ONLY 4 WHEELS and 54" between the wheelwells, even if it meant flares at the back wheels. Number one would be an all aluminum body for increased weight capacity with a close 2nd is having it built 100% in the USA!

I think it is SUPER STUPID to build a 9,900 GVW Sprinter that has 6 wheels and only 40" between the wheelwells and is 6" short of carrying 4 48" skids! German Engineering??? Duh!!! Give me good old American common sense!

Skids are smaller in Europe.. I suspect load ratings and numbers of tires have something to do with the design of the truck as well. They are narrower overall because of the roads they have to drive them down in the cities over there.

I hope that Benz is reaching out to us, asking us what we'd like to see in the van so they can adjust the way it's built. I do however expect them to keep building them out of steel. Aluminum while nice, would make a 50,000 dollar truck north of 60,000 by the time it's done.

(turtle.. sorry about the image size, I'll keep um small from now on)

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
the sprinter in a good van when it is running right, but the other problems are, is it is hard to find a mechanic that knows how to work on them, and another downfall is the parts for these are very expensive and almost always have to be ordered somewhere, the next van i will buy will be a gm or ford, and i am relly thinking about a gas engine instead of diesel

I hear ya. I was all diesel back in 04-05 when I bought the beast I posted earlier (it was a stroker) Now.. with the changes they made to diesels they are getting with in 10-20% of the MPG of gas vans.

factor in maintenance costs and it's a wash.

I have not looked at the sprinters much because they have been out of my comfort range price wise, but there is a gas version of them no?

If you think the sprinter is hard to get parts for try driving the french built Mack...

Oh ya... that was fun... (and short lived)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did the survey last night. As a former Sprinter owner, the only way I consider another is when parts availability/repairability gets much better than it is now. I can't afford to break down in some small town and find there isn't a place within forty miles where the mechanic will even look at it-- and that's in Illinois, near a college town.

This Chevy I'm driving now is old-- it's a '98-- but parts aren't all that hard to come by and the price of repair is dramatically lower. If I break down in Tuscola again, there's a mechanic within walking distance of the expressway who can do the job, and I could be underway again within hours, depending of course on what broke.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Skids are smaller in Europe.. I suspect load ratings and numbers of tires have something to do with the design of the truck as well. They are narrower overall because of the roads they have to drive them down in the cities over there.

I hope that Benz is reaching out to us, asking us what we'd like to see in the van so they can adjust the way it's built. I do however expect them to keep building them out of steel. Aluminum while nice, would make a 50,000 dollar truck north of 60,000 by the time it's done.

I'm sure that they have their reasons but they are asking us to tell them what we think, presumably because they want to build something that works better for us. If not, they should be taking their survey back in Europe and just ignor the North American opinion, just like they obviously did with the first 2 generations of Sprinters!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Thinking about the timing of this survey, and the fact the Ford Transit is coming to North America in 2013, its obvious why now.

The Ford Transit is a true world platform, with numerous efficient engines, heights, length, payload, and body configurations. Learning about the Transit has convinced me that Benz had better pay attention or Ford is going to eat their lunch in North America starting next year.