"comfort level" of straight truck vs van?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Hi im possibly looking to make the jump from van to straight.

Im not totally sure how to ask this, but for me driving the van was relatively stress free, never had to worry about being 80k# around 2k# cars and trucks, if i would be able to make my next turn without it being super tight and hard to make, never had to worry about parking. however when i drove TTs i was on edge for most of my driving just from how big of a vehicle it is.

For those that have been in all of these how would you describe your ability to just relax and have a nice drive in a straight truck vs the ease of a van & vs the hugeness of a TT?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I drove tractors before, vans from 2005 on and straight since may 2016.

For the first month I was a bit on the edge, you know, new world...but now I am just as relaxed as driving my van. Of course, I have to be a bit more careful, but it became second nature.

Doing 2 runs in the first month to Boston, through NYC fixed my fears. Lol.
Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a relaxed driving experience with any type of expediting, that said, if you've driven TT, I believe you will adapt to a straight fairly quickly. You do need to get accustomed to maneuvering a 40 ft. piece of equipment that doesn't 'bend' and also be very aware of your height. I've never encountered a parking issue in my straight, if it's full out back then I park up front. Adhering to HOS regulations may be a bigger adjustment than anything else.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
You do need to get accustomed to maneuvering a 40 ft. piece of equipment that doesn't 'bend' and also be very aware of your height.
This is a concern of mine. Its not going to be a problem 99% of the time but when i get those tight right turns in heavy traffic. I guess its just one of those things you have to do a few good times to understand. Are there ever turns (right mainly) that you ever encountered where swinging wide/ going into the oncoming lane wasnt enough to make a turn?

I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a relaxed driving experience with any type of expediting
You're right. Not stress free i mean even in a van you are always paying attention to what traffic is doing and you got your time frame to make the delivery on your mind and :censoredsign: like that, i guess im just looking to drive something where im not scared most of the time, every day in the TT was like oh my god here we go again.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You do need to get accustomed to maneuvering a 40 ft. piece of equipment that doesn't 'bend' and also be very aware of your height.
This is a concern of mine. Its not going to be a problem 99% of the time but when i get those tight right turns in heavy traffic. I guess its just one of those things you have to do a few good times to understand. Are there ever turns (right mainly) that you ever encountered where swinging wide/ going into the oncoming lane wasnt enough to make a turn?.

Sure, it happens on occasion. A yank on the air horn normally rectifies this situation

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Awesome as much as i like vanning i think the straight is going to be the way to go. Too much unknown with vans....

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator

Lol i bet. Ive never been through NYC how much worse is it than like chicago?

It's not only the traffic, which there is plenty of at any time of the day, but narrow lanes, tunnels, bad roads, impatient people cutting in front of you, and I am sure there are a few more.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

Lol i bet. Ive never been through NYC how much worse is it than like chicago?

It's not only the traffic, which there is plenty of at any time of the day, but narrow lanes, tunnels, bad roads, impatient people cutting in front of you, and I am sure there are a few more.
So basically chicago with tunnels lol

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure, it happens on occasion. A yank on the air horn normally rectifies this situation

But for the most part, in terms of road size and truck size are you able to handle most turns with ease?

Reason if I go to a straight I'm going with a Volvo hear they steer nice and easy. Also I think my approach will be is to just pretend you are driving a large RV and not driving a 53, happy with a class b :) Being aware of height clearance signs should help and also you can get a garmin dezl. 20ft box might be all I'll need, kinda nervous myself but my first runs will probably be going out West. Currently driving a 14 ft extended Sprinter I did the math and it will be only another 12-14 ft behind including 61" sleeper and depending on 20 or 22 ft box. Gotta get familiar with the width and comfortable with the mirrors, that will be the first step!

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is a concern of mine. Its not going to be a problem 99% of the time but when i get those tight right turns in heavy traffic. I guess its just one of those things you have to do a few good times to understand. Are there ever turns (right mainly) that you ever encountered where swinging wide/ going into the oncoming lane wasnt enough to make a turn?.

Str8trk on a side note who stretched your frame for you or did you buy your truck like that?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've driven them all and each time I stepped down in size. IMO the van is much easier to drive, easier to park, easier to clean, easier just about all the way around. If you are in a stand up height van it is especially easier since you can stand up to put on your pants. Also, when you are not under load the "sleeper" of a van is a good bit larger than in a straight. If I were to ever consider going back out again it would be in a stand up height van.

Reactions: Supa M and Slim

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've driven them all and each time I stepped down in size. IMO the van is much easier to drive, easier to park, easier to clean, easier just about all the way around. If you are in a stand up height van it is especially easier since you can stand up to put on your pants. Also, when you are not under load the "sleeper" of a van is a good bit larger than in a straight. If I were to ever consider going back out again it would be in a stand up height van.

I'd rather be moving with a load at a decent rate then to be able to stand up and put on pants. ;) From my observation you can stand up in most sleepers depending on height.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, that is true. I should have clarified as compared to the Chevrolet G and Ford E series vans. And money, coming in and going out both, is a whole different story and discussion. I was just commenting on comfort levels of both driving and "sleepering" in van vs. straight.

alexmj616

Rookie Expediter
Driver
I drove tractors before, vans from 2005 on and straight since may 2016.

For the first month I was a bit on the edge, you know, new world...but now I am just as relaxed as driving my van. Of course, I have to be a bit more careful, but it became second nature.

Even NYC in a sprinter I'd stressful enough...I'm very new to this, on my 2nd week out and my 1st and 3rd runs BOTH went to Long Island....hated it

Reactions: brokcanadian