Cargo Van Comdata Fees: Any way to avoid them?

Wolfhouse

New Recruit
Driver
Back when I first started, I remember reading somewhere (cant recall exact thread) that suggested buying a super cheap item at Walmart since that was one of the only places that didn't charge the fee. Turns out untrue.

I tried doing a search and couldn't find any recent thread on specifically this topic. However, I did come across a decades-old post about direct deposits straight from the Comdata account to your bank acct with no fees. Is this true/still possible?

Is there any other known way to avoid paying these fees to get your cash (I'd only ever withdraw cash so I could deposit into my bank acct, never directly for purchases/gas)?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you buy something with the card at Walmart, there's a fee, but there's no additional fee for requesting cash back at the time of the purchase.

I haven't used a Comdata card since I left Panther, but when I did, I simply did a phone transfer from the card to my bank. There wasn't a fee for doing that. Then I'd just use my bank debit card for transactions.

Reactions: xmudman

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seems that each company has its own policy about Comdata usage fees. Some want to make an extra buck for giving you the opportunity to get cash advances, some want to make more than a buck, and some, the few, have no fees at all, except the fees applied by Comdata.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
My Panther Comdata acct charges 1.50 to transfer funds via automated phone call to my bank, and a 1.50 to use it at the fuel pump plus another 1.00 if you add an item like a bottle of Howes. Something else to be aware of, when my wife's acct was canceled due to inactivity, we were never informed and the funds went to Panther, who never informed us they had it for like 3 or 4 years. Boy was that fun trying to track down. If you sign up as a same household team, they required 2 Comdata accts with a minimum $250 balance to open, at least they did 12 yrs ago, so don't forget to get your funds back. Comdata Customer service couldn't tell me what happened to the acct or when, I told them I'm going to report them to the banking commision and the lady just laughed LOL. Took about 5 phone calls to Panther to finally gain our money back.

Reactions: xmudman and Turtle

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When will US banking come into the 90's? I remember in a brief stint with Key Bank in 2003, an "internet payment" printed a check at the cutomer bank, which was then physically collected by a person and mailed out. Made for fun and games in collections.

I guess if they insist on Comdata you're stuck. Direct deposit has been fee-less for decades here, and we regularly email money to each other for free. Personally due to my bank choice I haven't paid a dime in fees since 1998

Ask to be paid in bitcoin :)

Reactions: RoadTime

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you use WAWA or Sheetz , they don't charge on there ATM's for any with draws

Reactions: xmudman