Color spectrums for long night runs

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guys you know that crappy light that they give you in a factory van? It's not worth a :censoredsign:. Remember when you go through a tunnel through south Carolina and it feels like daylight even when it's 3:00 am? Guys, put in this light and you will have easier runs through the night. I've grown a lot of tomatoes indoors so I know a little bit about lights. What you see in this post is a t-5 fixture with a 6500k bulb. That yellowish light you see in most vans makes you SLEEPY!!. Get a 6500 kelvin light which emulates DAYLIGHT. That yellowish light you see on Street lights were installed by idiots. Put in 6500k and see the difference. We are not that different than plants.. trust me. If you want more info just ask and I will answer.

Last edited:

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just trust me. Stop fhkin around with these 2700k lights. Just get some gorilla self stick tape and bam done .. you night runs will be so much easier

Reactions: billg27

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe because I'm not into dope, I don't quite understand how a flouresent light helps you drive a cargo van better at night.

o_O

Reactions: ntimevan

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sure not gonna drive with a light on inside the van and my 20 dollar led strips work fine in the back when I'm stopped. Thanks for sharing but I don't plan on growing anything in my van.

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's all based on the color temperature. All rise react differently based on the kelvin number. All of the street lamps outside should be 6500 Kelvin not 2700 Kelvin HPS like they all right now

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sure not gonna drive with a light on inside the van and my 20 dollar led strips work fine in the back when I'm stopped. Thanks for sharing but I don't plan on growing anything in my van.

Hey man why don't you throw a tomato plant in your passenger seat

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ahhh... i see ... a new carrier on EO ....

Doobie Brothers Expediting ...

hauling freight from a Pond near you
Laugh it up I'm just passing on what I have seen with my experience. Drive all night with a yellow night then drive all night with a blue light and you will see the difference. No one here has driven with their light on? How many miles are you guys running? This is for people running 4000 miles or more and don't want to fall asleep at the wheel.

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like to make $$. I know it's a lot of miles.. but I thought some of you guys dealt with this. I take 15 minute naps to make these type of weekly runs. I am not saying I do this every week but when I do it can be difficult so I do everything in my power to have an edge and not doze off..

I've literally never looked this up it was just my own intuition but any nay sayers here you go you just made me look it up.

Non-Visual Effects of Light on Melatonin, Alertness and Cognitive Performance: Can Blue-Enriched Light Keep Us Alert?

Our results on nocturnal melatonin decrease after light at 6500K thus go in line with the now established non-visual effects of light on the circadian system. However, while previous studies focused on monochromatic light exposure, we could demonstrate that even with light at 6500K from commercially available compact fluorescent lamps melatonin is suppressed by nearly 40% in comparison to traditional light lamps (3000K). Many studies have shown that exposure to white polychromatic light during night-time increases alertness [34], [35], [36], [37]. The dose-response relationship between light alerting effects and its irradiance is such that half of the maximum alerting response to bright light at 9100 lux can be obtained with room light of approximately 100 lux [36]. In contrast, our study revealed that light at 6500K from compact fluorescent lamps at low intensity (approximately 40 lux) was most effective after approximately 90 minutes of exposure. Although this luminance level is rather low to elicit such alerting effects, it is likely that the higher amount of blue component in the action spectra of light at 6500K may suffice to elicit these alerting effects. This finding adds up to the high specificity for light in the short wavelength range, and shows that the non-image forming visual system seems to crucially depend on light exposure at particular wavelengths.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Listen the 4000 miles includes pick up, deadhead, and delivery miles. I don't advise anyone to take on these kind of miles unless they have experience. I was under the impression that you guys have weeks like this from time to time. If I have a direct load 1200 miles from point a to point b and there is another 1200 mile run immediately available after delivery, my carrier will not even ask me they just give me the pick up address to keep the wheels turning rolling. The first week I was in this business I was seeing men in suits who turned out to be highway signs.. I have a system now and can take on these high mileage weeks. If I can gross over $5000 why not I wanna stack these dollars we're all chasing. I'm just passing on some information no one else would tell you unless they understood light spectrums. We gotta stick together :)

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
All the lights you see on the highways are the wrong color. They are 2700k high pressure sodium bulbs that give off the same color as the fall time which induce flowering and in a humans case sleep. Truckers would be better off if all the night lights were switched to 6500k which emulates and tricks your brain to think it is day time. Cmon someone has to find this interesting. I'm not some hippy.

Reactions: brokcanadian

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well i am sure the D OT and Federal Motor Vehicle dept. has done their own studys on night time driving and light effects ...
Myself .. i have driven over 1.6 million miles out here in 13 1/2 years ... i have never driven with dome lights on or extra blue lights on ... and honestly when its raining at night and i am meeting alot of oncomming traffic i wear a pair of Yellow tinted glasses to reduce glare ... so everyone is different and knows what works for them ...

PS... i ... like many on EO have little to No Respect for Admitted Drug Users and dislike sharing the Highways with people of that sort ...

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well i am sure the D OT and Federal Motor Vehicle dept. has done their own studys on night time driving and light effects ...
Myself .. i have driven over 1.6 million miles out here in 13 1/2 years ... i have never driven with dome lights on or extra blue lights on ... and honestly when its raining at night and i am meeting alot of oncomming traffic i wear a pair of Yellow tinted glasses to reduce glare ... so everyone is different and knows what works for them ...

PS... i ... like many on EO have little to No Respect for Admitted Drug Users and dislike sharing the Highways with people of that sort ...

Ok :/ I take my driving very seriously. Understandable you would think this way but I've lost my wife years ago to a car crash so driving safe and keeping a straight line is very personal for me. More than you can imagine. I hope you could understand this.

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not trying to make this an argument about weed this isn't the 1920s reefer madness. What I do when I am at home on the weekends is up to me.. if you like to enjoy a drink from time to time like most people, you have no room to talk about this. You would be very happy to share the road with a lad like me. Every truck that passes me I hug the opposing line to give him room. Every truck that needs to switch lanes I give him/her the brights flash to signal the okay. I pride myself in safe driving. I have a belief that all DMVs need to revamp their driving tests because almost all crashes can be prevented. Sorry man but you have no right to put me in the very category of people that I watch for every time I hit the roads. I know what's it's like to crash first hand. I don't need to give you any details and have someone feel sorry for me just know I take my job very seriously.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not trying to make this an argument about weed this isn't the 1920s reefer madness. What I do when I am at home on the weekends is up to me.. if you like to enjoy a drink from time to time like most people, you have no room to talk about this. You would be very happy to share the road with a lad like me. Every truck that passes me I hug the opposing line to give him room. Every truck that needs to switch lanes I give him/her the brights flash to signal the okay. I pride myself in safe driving. I have a belief that all DMVs need to revamp their driving tests because almost all crashes can be prevented. Sorry man but you have no right to put me in the very category of people that I watch for every time I hit the roads. I know what's it's like to crash first hand. I don't need to give you any details and have someone feel sorry for me just know I take my job very seriously.
Are you saying your carrier doesn't do random drug tests?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I try to make it dark as possible as was taught in truck driving school. I believe the reason given was to reduce eye fatigue. Here is some other info why I don't like up the night.

0d8131fa7c0a4ad6470441d9588cb8d2.jpg

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To emulate my hero Moot...I installed LED headlights that are in the 6000 to 6500k range. After a slight downward adjustment on the low beams I can report that they do make for a more pleasing drive and really light up the reflective paint on the pavement even in rain. The high beams are very nice and can now see a lot more deer and other critters.

All this did not require a single ounce of duct tape...or weed. Hopefully the OP's rolling grow op emulator draws attention from the po po so they can give him one of those special new roadside tests....and he can find another career.

Reactions: Moot and ntimevan