Coffee Makers and how often do you replace them??

are12

Expert Expediter
I was just wondering, how often does everyone have to replace your coffee maker? And how often do you use it??

The reason I ask, we just had to replace our coffee maker on March 25 since our other one quit working. Once again we bought a Mr Coffee.

Jim woke up this morning and went to start the coffee and nothing happened, our coffee maker quit working again!

We make coffee about 3 times a day (I am a huge coffee drinker), every day. Our last coffee maker lasted about a year but we were not using it every day, we just started that at the beginning of this year, so is it coincidence, a low voltage issue, or just our luck??

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I have never had good luck with Mr. Coffee coffee makers. I'm like you, I drink coffee constantly and when I was at home, the coffee pot was on most of the day.
We have a cheapo, less than 20.00, Proctor Silex in the truck. It's lasted 3 years so far and still going strong. (probably just jinxed myself):eek:

A trick I do, to keep from having to clean it so often, is I use 2 filters. One in the bottom, put in the coffee, and slide another one on top. Now I don't have the residue up where the water drips down on the grounds.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After about 80 brew cycles Mr. Coffee recommends using their cleaner or vinegar to restore it.

I use the vinegar myself it works fine. Just run about 3 cups thru as a regular cycle. Let cool, and repeat. Then run plain watter for a couple cycles.

are12

Expert Expediter
Pelicn,

Do you use your coffee maker all the time on the truck?? Even when the truck is moving??

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just a reminder, don't leave it plugged in to the inverter. The electronics in the coffee maker doesn't like the fake sine wave... and they don't last long.

are12

Expert Expediter
Just a reminder, don't leave it plugged in to the inverter. The electronics in the coffee maker doesn't like the fake sine wave... and they don't last long.

I only leave it plugged in long enough to brew the coffee.

We are just wondering if the fake sine wave is what is killing our coffee makers so fast.:confused:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We bought an under-counter that we could use rolling down the road, but it died. We decided that it was way too expensive to replace. I have brewed coffee in the cheapo one while rolling down the road, but, I don't fill it completely, and I watch it while it's brewing. I wouldn't do it otherwise.

I had a Bunn for years at home, the thing I didn't like about it was it was only 8 cups, it kept the water hot, so it brewed very fast and that caused you to use more coffee so that it wasn't weak. Otherwise, the Bunn is very durable, at least it didn't die.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I finally gave the good coffee pots up and went with the ten dollar model and the silly thing will not break! I plug it in make my coffee and unplug it.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I'm like you, we drink coffee all day. Our Mr Coffee just would not last in the truck so I decided to try something different. I bought a Black & Decker. It makes 10/12 cups (but I usually only make about 8 cups at the time). It has a clock so I can set it to have the coffee ready when we wake up in the morning. There is nothing like the smell of fresh brewing coffee first thing in the morning. Well, okay, diesel is the next best wonderful smell in the morning! Ha!

Our B & D coffeemaker has lasted over a year so far.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The only Bunn coffee makers I have seen are the little ones. Do they come in a 10 cup and where would I get one??

I've seen the 10 cup at Walmart. We had one at my last job.
It brews really quick since it keeps the water in the reservoir hot. We never turned off the reservoir heat just the pot heat.
still going after three years. The only drawback is that you have to wait for the pot to brew before pouring a cup but it is really quick. Also, don't close the reservoir lid until pot is in place it comes out immediately

Funny the walmart website doesn't show it
this is the one we had
TotalVac.Com - Bunn GRXB 10 Cup Coffee Brewer - Black

Check amazon.com may be cheaper
Not sure you want to spend $100 for a coffee maker but these are built to last they have one with a stainless carafe also

are12

Expert Expediter
Thanks, all, for the information. I guess it is time to go to Walmart to replace my coffee maker. I am certainly lost without it!!

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
our cusinart from bed bath and beyond,has lasted a year and a half,works great,22.95,stainless steel pot,4 cupper but who wants to drink coffee that is more then 20 min. old :)? just set it in the sink to make while moving. has worked fine in both trucks and previous one we got at meijers in MI, is no longer made, it was 13.95 4 cuper it lasted 1year. Previous to that bought on at t/s, ended up buying pilot ( :( ) OR worse on the road. Good Luck !

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
We have a Mr Coffee that has a stainless decanter ( it will keep your coffee hot for awhile after brewing) It is an undercounter that we have mounted in one of our cabinets. The style we
have the coffee runs right into the container ( it doesn't spill
out like some pots.. it has a little hole in top that fits right under the where the coffee holder is..if that makes sense)

Anyway we can make coffee rolling down the road without it spilling into the cabinet..
We got some coffee pods and throw them in there and there is no mess to clean up...just throw the pods away..you don't have to stop for the coffee to make.

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Regarding the lifespan of Mr. Coffee makers: We brew at least 2 pots of coffee a day. We went through a Mr Coffee about every 6 months. They would just stop working. We moved up from the cheapy models to the fancier ones ($40-50) but they still conked out within about 6 months or so. We are not drivers, and the coffeemakers in question were plugged into a regular 110 outlet in our home. So I don't think it is because of your inverter.

We also had a ton of trouble with the pause 'n' serve feature... would back up and get grounds and water all over if the pot was not seated 'just so'. This was not as frequent with some models, but happened multiple times with EVERY MC we owned. One model if we did not hold the pot in place until it was halfway full, the pot would slip out of position... big pain.

We finally invested in a Cuisinart from BB&B that retailed for $100 (we used a 20% off coupon). It has a 12 cup insulated stainless carafe, so the coffee does not continue to cook on a hot plate. It does not keep the coffee piping hot once it is about half empty, but other than that it is great. For truck use, our model probably would not work, as it is very tall, but there are probably shorter models.

We figured if we could get a year out of it, we were ahead of the game. 3.5 years later, it is still going strong, and we have only had the problem with the grounds once, and that was because the filter collapsed, not because of poor design.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
I was just wondering, how often does everyone have to replace your coffee maker? And how often do you use it??

The reason I ask, we just had to replace our coffee maker on March 25 since our other one quit working. Once again we bought a Mr Coffee.

Jim woke up this morning and went to start the coffee and nothing happened, our coffee maker quit working again!

We make coffee about 3 times a day (I am a huge coffee drinker), every day. Our last coffee maker lasted about a year but we were not using it every day, we just started that at the beginning of this year, so is it coincidence, a low voltage issue, or just our luck??

Could be your electric in your truck. We had the same problem when we got into this truck. So far have gone through 2 CB's, 3 laptop cords (at 130.00 each, ouch), 2 coffee makers, and a toaster and a few other little electrical items (like my electrical toothbrush) that I am probably forgetting. We finally figured out it was an electrical issue with the truck and bought some surge protectors. The truck also had to have some electrical wiring work done on it as all the running lights went out as well and the drivers headlight was shorting in and out. Anywho, nothing has 'quit' working since we started using the surge protectors so don't know if that solved the issue or the electric repairs solved it or if it was just a huge coincidence. :eek:

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
Dollar store (the yellow sign) Sunbeam $10.00. Lasts about 2 years. 2 pots a day. Surge protector. Communiy Coffee from Lousiana - Dark Roast - best I've had. Wish Morning Treat out of Dallas was still around :(