Code P20E9 problem

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Three times now my check engine light has come on, and my reader pulls this code .Reluctant Pressure too High. I have a 2017 MB Sprinter with 51000 miles. Truck is scheduled for Friday, and they are perplexed on the issue. Telling me that they haven't come across this before, and advised me to only buy DEF from the container, and not the pump. Then told me to run it all the way down until it's nearly empty.

My question is, has anyone had this issue(code), or know of anyone that has, or heard of it before? It's been very frustrating getting out on the road, and then having to head home to the shop. Three times since I bought it brand new in early January. And to think, I wanted to so bad get a Ford transit to avoid the DEF nightmares, but passed because of everyone telling me to stick with the MB Sprinter.

HELP!!

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Sorry you are having these difficulties.
At least problems with my Chevy are easier to diagnose, for instance, the transmission that I am having replaced while on the road.
Hope you get that van sorted out.

Stay safe
KG

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's under warranty still, but I'm losing money running home to put it in the shop. The last time it happened was about 3 weeks ago, and I was pretty much empty in Detroit, and then had to take it to the shop instead of getting something good out of Detroit. Now I'm getting empty up by chicago, and once again I have to leave a good loading area to put it back in the shop. Ahhh, the life of an expediter. Ha ha

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My issue with that, is if they keep the van then I will be stuck in Chicago. The first time it went to the shop, they had to order a part and they had it for 3 days.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My issue with that, is if they keep the van then I will be stuck in Chicago. The first time it went to the shop, they had to order a part and they had it for 3 days.
I agree with Rags, I think you might be making this more complicated & costly.

Part of the benefit of being under warranty is the ability to bring it any authorized dealer. It's a benefit you already paid for! So you don't need to incur the expense & downtime of bringing it home.

They might need to order a part ... they might not.
They might need to keep it in the shop while the part is in transit ... or, if you mention to them what you do for a living, they might be able to keep it running so you stay in your vehicle.

Plus you get to have someone else take a look at your issue. You might find a really great, knowledgeable tech right where you are.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
P20e9 Description

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors reductant pressure as the system primes for injection. The Aftertreatment DEF pump has internal diagnostics which evaluate whether the DEF pump is able to meet its demand. If the pump reports insufficient performance for more than a threshold time then the P20E8 code is set.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with the different mechanics looking at it. If nothing else have them tell the unit, that the pump has been changed and have it retrained.

Reactions: Grizzly

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Three times now my check engine light has come on, and my reader pulls this code .Reluctant Pressure too High. I have a 2017 MB Sprinter with 51000 miles. Truck is scheduled for Friday, and they are perplexed on the issue. Telling me that they haven't come across this before, and advised me to only buy DEF from the container, and not the pump. Then told me to run it all the way down until it's nearly empty.

My question is, has anyone had this issue(code), or know of anyone that has, or heard of it before? It's been very frustrating getting out on the road, and then having to head home to the shop. Three times since I bought it brand new in early January. And to think, I wanted to so bad get a Ford transit to avoid the DEF nightmares, but passed because of everyone telling me to stick with the MB Sprinter.

HELP!!
1. Well first off you should have posted this in the truck fourm, lol.

2. Where did you buy the van?

3. I always recommend MB Of Fort Mitchell and since your from Cincinnati it's a GREAT place to go!

4. If you have you read my post on these Sprinters you would have known to use the MB or Peak DEF fluid.

5. Do you idle the van for long period of time?

6. Do you have a Espar and a rooftop a.c.?

You and I got our vans around the same time. Mines got 40K on it and no problems as of yet. I run pure diesel and run Peak DEF fluid. What gets me is people buy Sprinters and think they can run these things like a Ford or Dodge. You can't do that! Sprinters are a luxury cargo van and MB believes in service and maintenance. Keep us informed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Grizzly