Clutch / Tranny / Noise

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
(Posting in general for more exposure)

We have a 2006 Freightliner Columbia with the Mercedes MBE 4000 and Eaton Ultra Shift transmission. 450,000 miles on it.

Replaced clutch last week and last night we heard a strange noise that is difficult to describe but will try: It's almost as if two pieces of metal are rubbing. There's no pattern to when it occurs and it doesn't seem to be worse now than when we first heard it. It can happen whether the truck is in gear or just idling. When we're moving, it's only noticeable when we're in 2nd or 3rd gear.

It reminds me of a mustang I had (years ago) only to find out the flywheel was cracked.

Any thoughts before we take it to a shop? And on that note, any shop recommendations in the Albany, NY area besides Freightliner?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm sorry I have nothing to offer on the tranny question, but I can say that posting the same thing on 2 forums is not a good idea - the replies get split and people get confused. The truck forum is the best bet, because it isn't wider exposure you want, it's expertise - and those who possess it will gravitate to the truck forum.
Hope you get it figured out. :)