class B cdl [ training ]

Bama1

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
well, its one step forward two steps back. looking to get class B cdl training called a private school in my area all they offered was class A cdl at a cost of $6000 called a community college ( bevill state ) also only class A. but at my advanced age (56) the recruiter there says I probably qualified for a aarp scholarship a $3000 saving my only cost would be written /med/ road/ tests. and the courses is 4 to 6 weeks long. there got to be an easier way. I mean where do school bus drivers and all the straights you see around town get theirs. any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated !

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got my class B license through a Craigslist ad. A local driver charged me $450 to walk me through everything I needed to know to pass the inspection, put me through the driving drills, and literally took me through the route that I would be tested on. Then let me use the truck for the test.

That's where I would start, Craigslist.

Reactions: Bama1 and RoadTime

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can try looking into school bus driver trainer to get a class b. Maybe look for school bus driver jobs and ask if they offer training

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Bama1

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can try looking into school bus driver trainer to get a class b. Maybe look for school bus driver jobs and ask if they offer training

For the most part, school districts and private school bus companies self train, ie: they train their employees upon hire.

Reactions: TeamHutch

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Schools busses in general do not have air brakes, is that correct?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Schools busses in general do not have air brakes, is that correct?

It's split out there. Mine didn't have air brakes. Many places don't want to deal with the added endorsement, especially with high turn over, also gives drivers another out to leave and drive other things. Gotta keep people down