Class B, C, D

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I thought I had this figured out but then I confused myself again. As long as you stay within the GVWR of your vehicle, B carries 2 pallets, C carries 3 and D carries 4 plus (depending on box size). So what class does a Penske cube van fall into? And what class does 25,990 fall into?

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I thought I had this figured out but then I confused myself again. As long as you stay within the GVWR of your vehicle, B carries 2 pallets, C carries 3 and D carries 4 plus (depending on box size). So what class does a Penske cube van fall into? And what class does 25,990 fall into?

As far as I know or at fedcc is

B=Cargo Van
C=14' Box
D=20' Box

So a straight truck at under 26,000 could be a C or D depending on the box length. Like the crew chief trucks that are old penske/ryder trucks are under 26,001 trucks and fedex cc labels them typically as DS units from what I have seen when passing them on the road.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What size Penske cube are you looking at?? The older units are 10,000 gvw and are considered a "B".. The new units are 12,300 gvw, and are considered a "C" by some carriers..But then there are carriers that consider them a "Super B" and yet other carriers call them, a "small straight"..

And forget the number of skids...my truck is a 10,000 lb gvw, as a 14 ft load floor and i have had 6 48x48x35 bids in here...and if my carrier classified it, it would be a "B"...

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Seems like the equipment rate depends on the carrier. What class are Sprinters in? I see a lot of comments about Sprinter rates. Thank you for the replies.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the most part class ratings vary by carrier not truck. Ours calls them what they are. Cargo van, sprinter, straight. Truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
A Sprinter again is classified differently by different carriers..personally, id tell you to quit trying to figure it out..Find a carrier you think you want to lease to, then work within their system to decide what unit works best for you..But in general, a Sprinter is classified within the CV segment...again depending on the carrier..

As for "Sprinter rate", for the most part that is only going to be mentioned by carriers that payes by the mile. and then only for a load that will NOT fit in a CV...AND, not all loads a Sprinter hauls will be paid at a "sprinter" rate..if they get a load that will fit in a CV, they are going to get paid a CV rate...just because you have a sprinter does not mean you will always get a rate higher then a CV...

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
There are so many variables in this business it is almost impossible to make a rational decision. I'm trying to research this as a possibility in the future. I could buy a CV easy enough but I don't think I would be happy living out of it. Next option for me is under 26000 but then I have to log which limits my loads running solo. How much income can I generate? Saw a Fuso with a 24' box, 36" sleeper, air ride, auto, exhaust brake, looked dock high with a 2500 lb tuck away lift gate. No idea of the curb weight but it only had 215 hp. Most of the research I've done shows majority of loads are 6000 lbs or less. Guessing this Fuso could haul 9000 lbs?

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There are so many variables in this business it is almost impossible to make a rational decision. I'm trying to research this as a possibility in the future.

As you mentioned above, you are confusing yourself. You are doing this by blending categories and assuming that one answer applies across the board. Spec'ing a truck is a process of making trade-offs. It gets easier when you realize that the categories change depending on what you are looking at when you consider them.

Examples:

You are thinking about a C-unit. "C-unit" changes depending on the carrier you are considering. So before you lock yourself into the notion of a C-unit, you need to lock onto a carrier. Then you'll know if B or C applies.

But the real thing you are thinking about is a truck that does not trigger the hours of service rules (log books). So you abandon the B, C and D designations as a primary consideration and let those chips fall where they may.

But why are you making no-log-books a primary consideration? You gave the reason. It is because you are ASSUMING that you can haul more loads if you do not have to log. But have you really thought that through? Physical limits still apply. You cannot drive safe when tired. Is there so much van freight to be found out there that someone who does not log could run 24/7 if not for the physical limitation? I don't think so.

Maybe you can make more money by logging and hauling more weight in a straight truck.

Is it the money that is driving your assumption about not logging? Or is it the fact that you don't have, don't want, or can't get a Class B CDL?

Straight trucks cost more than vans .... but wait, that may not be true either. You may very well be able to find a good used straight cheaper than you can find a new van; at least when you think beyond price and consider future useful life.

It can get confusing very quickly if you don't get specific about your categories, and even more quickly if you start thinking about the kind of truck you want before you identify your other priorities and expose your assumptions.

To clear things up, don't begin by thinking about trucks or CDL types or log books. Begin by thinking about yourself. Ask, "What kind of expediter do I want to be, and why do I want to be that?" Or, to put it another way, ask, "Why do I want to be an expediter, what am I trying to accomplish really?"

Once you know the answers to those questions, it will become easier to sort through the rest.

Notice that there are many business models to choose from. There are some expediters who define success in terms of what they don't want. They go out on the road because they don't want to be home with the wife. They drive a van because they don't want to log. They structure their business to break even or lose money because they don't want to pay taxes.

There are other expediters for whom the primary consideration is keeping busy. They don't want to sit. They want to roll. And they'll do so at almost any price, as long as they stay busy. Profitability is a secondary concern.

Some people want to be expediters because they hate their present job or (un)employment situation, and they feel better when they dwell on the expedite dream. They know nothing about the business except that it feels good to think about it, and for that reason alone, they want to be expediters.

There are others that have an annual gross revenue goal in mind. Still others have a net-worth-at-retirement goal in mind. And there are many more.

It's not about what other people are doing. It's about what you want. Get clear about that and the rest will fall into place.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like everyone else said....Pick your target carrier, then pick your truck size, ask that carrier the specific rules and pay structure for that vehicle....every carrier has different rules...some carriers have mileage limitations for CV/sprinters for solos.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
What I'm trying to figure out is if I can clear $40,000 - 45,000 a year expediting as a solo O/O. I only mentioned logs as possibly being restrictive to the financial operation of a solo driver business if I have a loading dock eating away at my 14 hour clock. I have a class A CDL with Hazmat and started driving T/T 10/98. I used to drive 1000 - 1200 miles a day 2 or 3 times a month. I've been known to make field modifications to my logbook. I've been a company driver and O/O. I ran over 150,000 miles a year the first 5 years I drove. I started as a company driver with a major carrier in 2008 and it was the first time I ever ran and logged legal. Ran less miles and made more money.

I was merely asking what class a 10,000 GVWR Penske would fall into. I was already talked out of that idea in another thread.

Right now my idea is under 26,000 GVWR (no IFTA), at least a 22' box 98" wide with roll up door, dock high, tuck away lift gate, dollie legs, at least 240 hp, 48" - 60" bunk, air ride, exhaust brake, cruise, maybe 6 speed auto. Been on percentage twice, first was really bad and second was pretty good so I think a carrier that pays percentage.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
The money you make by running longer hours by not logging, you will spend on crystalmeth to stay wake anyway.

Having said that, if i had to drive solo, i would not want to log either, i used to drive a tractor soloand the 14 hour is arbitrarh an retarded it was the biggest pia i had logging as a solo.

Any how, look at a Hino 338 with a manual tranny and a 30 inch sleeper, 14 foot box, that ought to bring you to a non cdl c unit that wont be a pos. Other people hate hinos, but we have 770k on ours, only uses 1gallon oil in 15k miles. Baring catastrophe, i think this is a 1.2 mil. Mile truck before overhall.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using EO Forums

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The money you make by running longer hours by not logging, you will spend on crystalmeth to stay wake anyway.

Having said that, if i had to drive solo, i would not want to log either, i used to drive a tractor soloand the 14 hour is arbitrarh an retarded it was the biggest pia i had logging as a solo.

Any how, look at a Hino 338 with a manual tranny and a 30 inch sleeper, 14 foot box, that ought to bring you to a non logging c unit that wont be a pos. Other people hate hinos, but we have 770k on ours, only uses 1gallon oil in 15k miles. Baring catastrophe, i think this is a 1.2 mil. Mile truck before overhall.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using EO Forums
non-logging c unit? You'll have to prove that one to me before I believe it.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the hino without a box is 10000 pounds at least. Your info is misleading and in accurate to drivers needing legit info.