Class 8 drivers, some info please

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are in a class 8 truck would you please post specs such as yr/make/model, engine, trans, gearing, #axles and whether lift or dual, gross & empty weight, and very importantly mpg. Thank you.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It depends on how it is used. If new, I would go for a 350 to 400 hp, 10 speed autoshift. Probably 3.5 rears. If new and depending on the chassis, additional axle after a year to avoid FET tax. Sleeper and box size may alter that configuration alittle. Would need to do a water test for best results.
On a side note; a nameless dealer at MATS was trying to sell a 2002 Columbia with 400,000 plus miles for $120,000 Salesman said a new one was $180,000
Granted, the truck had a reefer, insulated box, and a liftgate.
What idiot would buy that?
I quess I am hoping someone does so I can find it on the auction block for pennies on the dollar.
Davekc
owner
20 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I really wanted to go to MATS but wasn't close enough to make it. I heard about the Columbia with 100" Bentz sleeper that was supposed to be there. I hope they aren't talking $180k on that as it's on my suspects list. I'm thinking new and was thinking of something in the 400/430 range, preferrably one that can be rated the lower power level to help my fuel economy but could be turned up if desired. I was thinking of a 10spd autoshift or automatic and around 3.36 gears. I'm just hoping to hear from some about what they are running now on a class 8 platform. Lastly, what is the water test you mentioned? Thanks.

Leo
truck 4958

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The truck I am referring to was a 2002 black columbia with a reefer.
It was not the truck Jeff Jones and Bentz put together. Their displays were of new trucks. They were in that price range of $120,000 plus.
A water test is used to determine weight ratio in positioning of axles and the box. They are usually pretty accurate.
Davekc
owner
20 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I expected around the $120-125 range for a new Columbia with the Bentz sleeper. That's not outrageous but even with the extras you mentioned an '02 with 400k is insane at that number.. unless it comes with a chaffeur and for after the run a masseuse. I've got to get to Bentz for warranty on this unit and plan to visit Stoops while I'm up there. Just need to find a load going that way.

Leo
truck 4958

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The trucks that Jeff Jones had up at MATS were prototypes. Not sure if any changes will be made. Nice trucks though.
They were priced within an acceptable range.
The 2002 with 400,000 miles was a complete joke. And he said a new one was $180,000. There isn't a company out there with a rate high enough to justify the expense. You would need close to $3.00 per mile and running everyday to make it worth while.
The old Roberts days are gone.
One would never get their money back in expediting making that large of investment compared to what todays rates and expenses are. There are too many other places to put your money and not have to drive everyday for the same return.
Davekc
owner
20 years

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I don't know if anything is gone as far as hard working high revenue trucks. Most of the peeople in my circle at FedEx had revenue well above 180,000.00 last year. I know of a few in the 230,000.00 range. How much money do you need to justify a truck over 225,000.00? Come on now, there is still great opportunities for those willing to work hard and be professional. I am proud of the work ethic that my friends have displayed. I also applaud all those who reached and surpassed there goals last year.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When doing the math, and using that $180,000 new truck figure, it becomes a frightning number when you calculate the addition insurance (usually 3.5 or 4% on comp) sales and FET tax, and interest paid on the loan. Assuming 20 percent down on 5 years, I can't make those numbers work on anything under $200,000 with todays rates. And of course, if operating and fuel costs continue to climb, that cuts the return even more.
Not quite sure why anyone would take on this kind of risk?
Davekc
owner
20 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>The trucks that Jeff Jones had up at MATS were prototypes.
>Not sure if any changes will be made. Nice trucks though.
>They were priced within an acceptable range.
>Davekc
>owner
>20 years

How many did they have ready? I heard they were going to do a 100" with a toilet. Was that one of them?

Leo
truck 4958

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The ones at the MATS show had no toilet or showers.
Jeff said they will be available mid august in the 130" and 150" sleeper models.
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a neat truck allright. A few months ago I saw the same model in Benton Harbor. It was all black and had gold Panther logos. To say it was sharp looking is a major understatement. If it weren't for the heat factor in the summertime I'd do a black truck next time.

Leo
truck 4958

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I just sold my class 8. Had a 2000 Freightliner Classic XL132. 500HP Series 60 Detroit,10 speed Rockwell,Can't remember the gear ratio, but it turned about 1500 rpm @ 75mph. Tandem axle. Weighed in at about 25k empty. Gvwr 52K. With the long hood it definetly was not the most aerodynamic truck. Depending on how much you put your foot in it would get from 7.5 to 8.25 mpg Was not very friendly when it came to fuel economy. But was a real work horse of a truck. Had over 800,000 on the odometer when I sold it. And was still going strong from fuel stop to fuel stop. LOL