Christmas trumps war

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are so many people who are opposed to the traditional meaning of Christmas and yet it is one of the most powerful things in existence. Here's an interesting true story about how it was even more powerful than war.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/truce.asp

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Great point, every school kid should know the story, not just we were fighting to free France.

Different time, Different attitude, Different war.

This was also a war where when an aviator was killed in action and fell behind enemy lines, the enemy gave them a military funeral as if they were their own comrades in arms.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I love that story. I had heard it for years, but didn't know if it was true. They had it on the History channel Christmas Eve. They actually had the daughter of one of the British Soldiers, and the son of one of the Germans lay a wreath. Man was it moving. Not ashamed to admit I was a bit teared up.

At the same time, the reality laid heavy on me that we're now fighting men who have different beliefs than us, so such a thing would probably never happen.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." Luke 2: 7

[/font]

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Life was much simpler when Christians were at war with Christians.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>Life was much simpler when Christians were at war with
>Christians.

Ya know I can't think of one war where that ever happened except maybe the Civil War.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"Ya know I can't think of one war where that ever happened except maybe the Civil War."

What civil war? The Spanish civil war?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The American "civil" war was not a civil war, not even close.

Just an FYI, it has been given the title for some reason but it was actually a war between the states. Not the comedic version of the war between the states, but actually a war between the states for secession.

In a 'civil war' there is a attempt to change the entire government, for example the soviets taking over Russia was a civil war, the Vietnam was technically a civil war, China's change from a sort of a dictatorship to a communist country was a civil war and so on.

The Germans were not beaten in WW1, the government faced either to change policies or have a civil war. This quiet civil war or better put "German Revolution" was the undoing of the country and the end result was Hitler.

Austria-Hungary was facing an even bigger problem, they were containing diverse population and they were growing discontent with a lack of independence and their solution was to dissolve Austria-Hungary before any civil war took place. Proving multiculturalism does not work