Chia Seeds

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I first read about the benefits of Chia seeds when I read the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall several years ago. I did a little more research on Chia seeds and usually have a container of them in my refrigerator. The Chia seeds are added to smoothies usually and a few times I have made Chia seed pudding which is interesting...

Before going home I ordered organic white Chia seeds from nut.com which I think will be a little more pleasant to look at then the dark seeds. I will try making the pudding once again with these seeds.

Chia each year is becoming more and more popular and this week I saw a Chia drink for sale at an Albertsons. I am sure in a short period of time we will see Chia added to a lot of our health foods.

Chia is high in fiber that helps to keep you filling fuller. The great thing about Chia is they do not have to be ground to be added to foods and they do not go bad. The seed becomes gelatinous when wet and personally I do not care for the texture which is why I have a hard time adding Chia to a plain drink.

I add a teaspoon to my smoothies or some healthy Hippeas Waffle Mix I purchase from Charlene Oesterling

Chia Pudding

3/4 cup Chia Seeds
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
dash of sea salt
Stevia and Vanilla extract to taste

Calories 280, Fat 17.5 Protein 9.5 Carbs 18.5

To spice this up add cinnamon or nutmeg to taste.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

chia-pet.jpg

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Another helpful hint.

Add popcorn to your pancakes so they can flip themselves.