Chevy Express E Track installation question

Steve1

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Hello!

I am new to this and I need an advice from experienced people here.

I am going to haul some pallets in GM Express 3500 and want to install E track to the floor. My worry is that floor is thin and in case of hard braking\accident the pallets can rip off the etrack. Is there any way to make it more secure? May be add another sheet of metal from underneath?

Any help really appreciated!

Ideally should look similar to this floor. But how secure it will be and how to reinforce is the concern for me.
IMG_5212-Large.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't tell you about hardening the floor but for the e-track I'll suggest you add 3 rows. Take your 48" plywood and cut so you have two 12" width and one 24" width. Put the 24" width down the very center of the floor and then a row of e-track on either side and then the 12" widths to finish the floor. You'll have to trim a bit around the wheelwells. That will let you secure more things, some that would be too narrow to secure with the e-track only on the far sides of the plywood. I usually strapped everything in an X pattern across the freight.

I also had a couple of beam sockets. I'd put them in where I wanted the freight to stop and put a block of 2x12 cut to fit so the skid/freight was blocked from moving forward. That was the e-track slot immediately next to the skid. Then my strap went in the next slot so it also pulled the 2x12 firmly against the freight. Extended Wood Beam Socket : E Track Straps : Lodi Metals, Inc

I also had straps custom made by Lodi Metals. One pair was 18' long. That was to go up 4' on the front, 8' across the top and down 4' on the back with enough slack to also cover the added inches for the X strapping and getting them set. I had another set 8' long for when I had smaller freight. Both sets were made with the ratchet about 5 inches from the end so the strap could secure even very small things too. They were made by Lodi Metals and were much heavier duty webbing than the junk straps sold at truckstops.

Attachments

• van floor.jpg
    van floor.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 12

Steve1

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Thank you very much for sharing the info, I am going to learn it for a while and decide what to do. I am more concerned that the floor itself may not be strong enough to hold the e track.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never had any problem. I used 3/4" plywood. I hauled up to and one time due to shipper error over the weight capacity of my G3500. In a catastrophic accident who knows what might happen. In general use it was fine. Good luck.

Reactions: blackpup and Steve1

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I rarely use my floor E-Track. I mostly use the floor D-Hooks, and I also have E-Track that is attached down the sides.
I had the E-Track down the sides on my last two vans. I use it all the time.E-Track.png

Reactions: blackpup and Steve1

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure if you're still wondering but I've had e-track in my van for years. Just screwed right into the floor, with plywood on either side so the pallets don't skid on the e-track itself. Occasionally I may have one self tapper that gets loose which I just add a slightly larger one. But I've never had an issue with pallets shifting or moving whenever I've strapped them down.

Steve1

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
If anyone is still interested in this thread, I have hired a good welder and welded metal sheets underneath the floor, where screwed the D hooks afterwards. The sheets are welded to the frame. Thank you for your help, gents.

Sorry for the pics quality and it is not the final look, but you got the idea.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8