Chef Dennis weekly meals

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Hey, ChefDennis, you haven't shared your amazing meals with us lately. It is time! We have winter coming and we need ideas!

My husband and I are passing through Memphis so we plan to go by Corky's and get some bar-b-que to take with us (one of your great ideas- never pass up good barbque) but it is time for you to share some of your amazing meals with us. Don't you think?

So, what are you eating this week?

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you want to make sure to not pass up good BBQ then be sure to stop on the southwest side of Louisville on 31W about a mile or so north of 841 at Mark's Feed Store BBQ. About 2 miles from there is Mike Linnig's Fish Restaurant that's some of the best fish anywhere too.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Being from memphis I can say this, Corky's is crap bbq compared to tops. Stop off I-40 at exit 12 or 14 (Sycamore View) and have Top's. Rated best BBQ in memphis and they give you plenty for the money. It is right by the Bass Pro Shops.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am not a huge BBQ fan but after going to Corky's with India and Frank and having the dry rub ribs I might have changed my mind. Those ribs were awesome!

I agree though it is time for Chef Dennis to give us some inspiration here!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being from memphis I can say this, Corky's is crap bbq compared to tops. Stop off I-40 at exit 12 or 14 (Sycamore View) and have Top's. Rated best BBQ in memphis and they give you plenty for the money. It is right by the Bass Pro Shops.

I went to the Tops in Olive Branch...was not impressed with the pulled pork..and cole slaw was factory made it seemed...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I'm in Olive Branch I eat at the Tops and it's not bad BBQ but it won't compete with Mark's.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Tops is very good. I do like Corky's ribs, though. Neely's BBQ is pretty awesome, too. A bad BBQ place really wouldn't survive very long in Memphis.

One of my favorite places to eat in Memphis is still Huey's.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
You cant beat the experience, and history, at The Rendezvous. Some of their servers have been working there for several decades. Started as a ham and cheese place in the alley for downtown workers and he realized the coal chute would be perfect for letting smoke out of he smoked meat.

Corky's on Poplar, the original one, is the best to go to for the full experience, though the one on Germantown Rd out Cordova way is the one they use when they want to throw an outdoor party for dignitaries, etc.

Some of the best BBQ joints in Memphis are the gas station conversions and small mom n pop places, but my top spot for dry rub and in-house dining is still the Rendezvous. Got to try it at least once just to check it out.

Dang - now I have a hankering for good Memphis BBQ and am sitting north of Detroit...

Charles Vergos' Rendezvous :: World Famous Barbecue in Memphis, TN

This is a place for bbq....if your not on a budget...lol. Downtown Memphis.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Hey, thanks Ragman. I know Famous Dave's well and used to go to their place in Fargo (about as far as one can get from genuine BBQ). I tried to find The Boneyard in Sterling Hts but it seems to have morphed into The Pub or something. I ended up at an Applebee's, but not for ribs. Ha!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Ive eaten at Rendezvous once. It was good bbq. Reservations would be a good idea...may be required? Im told that the server positions are pretty valuable. If one chooses to leave, Im told the position is actually saleable. Best I remember, we paid about $25/plate or so...including drinks.

MaidMarion

Active Expediter
Some of the best BBQ in Memphis comes from Central BBQ. They have 3 locations now. If you choose the original one on Central Avenue try to go at off hours. It's just a converted house and the parking is tight at best. Order from the bulk menu if you have room to store a little. The prices are very affordable.

147 E. Butler Ave. (901) 672-7760

2249 Central Ave. (901) 272-9377

7345 Summer Ave. (901) 767-4672

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Some of the best BBQ in Memphis comes from Central BBQ. They have 3 locations now. If you choose the original one on Central Avenue try to go at off hours. It's just a converted house and the parking is tight at best. Order from the bulk menu if you have room to store a little. The prices are very affordable.

147 E. Butler Ave. (901) 672-7760

2249 Central Ave. (901) 272-9377

7345 Summer Ave. (901) 767-4672

Central was where we met every Saturday night on summer ave. I liked the BBQ just didn't like the sauce. Great potatoe salad though.

Stay away from nick's in Cordova. Over priced and nasty.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I seen his cargomax at bank auction...heard he was workn at a Golden Corral.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums

Nah...he's too busy to post lol.. talked to him a week or 2 ago in Lansing :).. passed at a J.

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums