check engine light FL70 2000

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
I have a 2000 FL70.
I know I should not idle so much but is this what the light is telling me. I wanted to ask you guys before taking it to a shop cause of all the times I have been to shops with other trucks and they give false info I guess to keep you coming back.
The check engine light comes on after I have the truck on idling for about 7 hours. I turn it off at night but while I am waiting for a load We play on our computers in the truck and need it on cause we have yet to purchase one of those cool aux power and cooler device.
I have yet to see it come on while driving. The first time we noticed it was the very first time we turned it on. Then it went off in about a minute. Since then we have only noticed it after we had the truck idling for a while.
So can anyone here tell me what that means besides get that unit now? lol

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it has a idle step up through the cruise, turn your cruise switch off. Short of that it sounds minor. May be some resistance in the ECM plug, but this is common on the FL series.
I would go with the first if it goes out once the truck is moving.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
i've heard recently that this common problem has some engineers at freightliner scratching thier heads trying to come up with a patch for the ecm which in thier considered opinion is wherein the problem lays.

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
So can a messed up ecm mess up the engine?
Or should I not worry about it till I have repair money to get it checked

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In past experience I would say that issue by itself shouldn't hurt anything. I will say that if another fault code goes through, you will be unaware of it. If you have a Cat, have them check both speed sensors. Truck will run on one and throw a fault code, but if that final one goes...you are stopped. It is worth a quick check. The good news is a sensor repair is not expensive. I read an old service bullitin that said they will on occassion set your light off.

Davekc
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator