Cheap Fright Say NO to cheap Fright

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I can't believe you guys most of you been around the block a couple of times.When are we going to wake up and see what happening to our business.What do we do to get the rates back up? This business you need to do more than just drive and there on time.The Companies don't care what it cost you to haul,what a set of tire cost, $4 a gallon Diesel ect what it cost you when 500 miles from home and you need to get the beast repaired.Remember the fuel surcharge is 45/50 cents a mile.There some give the truck 10cents a miles, the balance helps the Company bottom line. I put my name Email to get loads avail from some outfit in Colo,Owner of Cap Air controls a lot of fright he got a company to put him on as agent.Stuff thats paid good got worse.They sent there emails to everyone every company and some who maybe can't read english.They try to get drivers haul for less than a dollar a mile.Greed that what you call it,I'm sure he would like to call it Business,not double dipping.Its a shame some poor fool would haul it.I keep thinking it get better, and I keep hoping it get better,but thats all up to all of us.SAY NO TO CHEAP FRIGHT.......

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Yes, say no to cheap fright. You just don't know what you're going to get from those low priced haunted houses.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The problem is that what you consider cheap freight is not the same as I consider cheap freight. Someone with a fuel efficient vehicle and a little bit of planning could keep more money in his pocket from a cheap load than someone with a 10 mpg gas guzzler from a better paying load.

Get used to it. My cheap freight is not the same as your cheap freight.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I know of quite a few that run the trucks off of 45% I cant do that I run off of 40 or less per load. If I cant get enough to pay the fuel and the tolls with a down of 40% or less I say no. Ideally I try my Da Burn nest to run the truck off of 30%. Heavy loads with tolls better Pay. That cat may be cut back but that don't mean she gets better MPG. Had A lot of loads offers today that were Insane With the DH 2 Averaged 1.25 a mile. For a Tractor Trailer that's NUTS. The Best I had today I couldn't do because I didn't have the hours left in the day to do the run. Which I was honest about. There was one that had some distance that came In at 1.78 a mile but that was the total to drag 20,000lbs through the mountains and then the tolls give in it came up short. I put my bid in of 2.20 all miles and asked for the 40 in tolls. I don't think a 88 mile DH asking the 2.20 all miles was wrong not for Hazmat. After Hanging up the phone I had the Impression I was stealing or something. Let's get real. You cant buy fuel, pay for oil changes buy belts, have injectors replaced tanks cleaned and all that along with Full Services done on Reefer Equipment, Buy tires, and all that. On the rates being offered. You cant do it. Those that are doing it u wont do it for long, when your equipment goes down how you going to pay to get it fixed or replaced.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
problem is customer doesn't want to pay what they should
you give them a price and they want you to come down in price
so what you do is start high and wait for them to come back
they think they got a good deal and you got what , what you wanted

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I know of quite a few that run the trucks off of 45% I cant do that I run off of 40 or less per load. If I cant get enough to pay the fuel and the tolls with a down of 40% or less I say no. Ideally I try my Da Burn nest to run the truck off of 30%. Heavy loads with tolls better Pay. That cat may be cut back but that don't mean she gets better MPG. Had A lot of loads offers today that were Insane With the DH 2 Averaged 1.25 a mile. For a Tractor Trailer that's NUTS. The Best I had today I couldn't do because I didn't have the hours left in the day to do the run. Which I was honest about. There was one that had some distance that came In at 1.78 a mile but that was the total to drag 20,000lbs through the mountains and then the tolls give in it came up short. I put my bid in of 2.20 all miles and asked for the 40 in tolls. I don't think a 88 mile DH asking the 2.20 all miles was wrong not for Hazmat. After Hanging up the phone I had the Impression I was stealing or something. Let's get real. You cant buy fuel, pay for oil changes buy belts, have injectors replaced tanks cleaned and all that along with Full Services done on Reefer Equipment, Buy tires, and all that. On the rates being offered. You cant do it. Those that are doing it u wont do it for long, when your equipment goes down how you going to pay to get it fixed or replaced.

I gave you a like IRT.. I did so cause you FINALLY posted something void of tautological dribble. You stated the obvious, yes.. Thank you for joining the team.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Meaning has always been the same I wont pay to run Freight. If the Broker cant make the right bids then maybe that bean counter should be replaced. High tech names (Financial Engineers) there isn't no such person. Bean Counter or Financial Analyst is the correct term. Put it in Layman terms. Lets get back to doing business in away everyone can make a profit and afford to do the loads. If the Brokers want to cut the Price of the Freight in order to gain business then they need to take Less for them selves and Pay us what we need to move the freight. Offices are cheap to rent. If you own the building that's another thing. How ever reminds me of a movie (Back to School) that Rodney Dangerfield played in Where he and his son went to college. In a Class there was a Professor and that professor taught Business. For the Business they were manufacturing Widgets. The professor said you had to Buy the land and build the building. Rodney said Wrong professor its better to rent the Building and cheaper as well than to buy and Build. In any case I think you know where I'm going with this. It' doesn't take a degree in Rocket Science to this job. It takes just plane common sense. Now getting back to reality. Reality is Just like a Horse if you keep feeding it the creature wont stop eating till it founders. Pigs are the same way wouldn't you know. Ironic is it not. Ever here of the Up side down Pyramid some Co get like that. I say it again, The Trucks need to be paid well in order to keep them running Safely. No corners being cut. Money is the root of all evil so to speak. But we Drivers (TRUCKERS) got to have it in order to keep our Trucks in top notch condition. We got to have it to Pay for Fuel, Tolls, Truck payments and Drivers along with maintenance (Tires, Breaks, hoses, belts, lights, oil changes, Brake Chambers, INJECTORS). Along with workmans comp that goes with the Business that got to be paid then Qualcom fees. Tractor Tags ect and Trailer if you have them. Lots of stuff got to be paid. Now you can surely understand why a tractor trailer cant run for a 1.78 or 1.87 or 1.99 on toll roads to boot. In order to go Home or get out of a bad area Yes but in Regular Freight lanes No. Making ones self look good to get business may work on short term but when the fleet starts breaking down and on loads. Ask your self why because they don't got the money to fix so they wait for a load and then they can get it fixed. Bottom line get back to Business not this cut throat cut rate junk. The only thing one is hurting is The Company Good Reputation. Brokers Cutting Prices or slicing the pie so much there not enough to pay the Trucks I suggest pay the Trucks what they need to succeed and take less for your self. In the End everyone will be Happy. Well maintained trucks Keep Customers and Keep freight moving. Trash is taken out now where is my GOOD LOAD Please. Thank you.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... The Companies don't care what it cost you to haul

... They try to get drivers haul for less than a dollar a mile.

... Its a shame some poor fool would haul it.

... I keep hoping it get better,but thats all up to all of us.SAY NO TO CHEAP FRIGHT

You can say no all day long and it will remain the case that "some poor fool would haul it."