Chasing freight or sit and wait? Can't decide.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had this discussion with several expediters and we are still on the fence. We do chase some freight and have done well at it most of the time. Some times it just makes since "to us" to sit and let the FedEx gods work their magic. As a team we have gotten out of Elk Grove or Dearborn well enough but it is best to sit in Decatur or Peoria and wait or head for a "better" area? As the summer turns into fall, we ponder tough questions all, shall we sit or shall we go, this is what we want to know. Right now there are about 16 vans in Elk. Hope they are having a party and enjoying the lake view. We are in Decatur and watching the grass grow, again.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
There is alot of things that play into sitting or moving...I dropped in Aberdeen Utah and beat ft out of there back down to Salt Lake City as soon as i was empty...the only industry was the one i dropped at and they didn't do much expediting per the shipping supervisor whe he unloaded me during the shutdown on a Sunday....

Then you have your situation....16 units on the same board...how many loads do they avg a day off that board?

Where outside of 100-150 miles from your location is dispatch seeing freight moving and how many units are in that area??

Are you being paid to sit for 2 days? are you moving on your own dime or is the company paying for the move?? How much are they paying??

Are able to take your dwell time with you to a new board?

What day of the week is it?? How does your dispatch do with getting loads on saturday and sunday if you have to sit fri night??

These are just some things to take into consideration when figuring out if you sit or move, and there are more, but its time to go cook dinner....:D

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Fedex has a lot of inbound freight into that Cat plant in East Peoria. The outbound may not be near as much to offset the number of trucks standing by. A lot depends on daily truck count.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I d be looking at the Indy or even St Lewey boards a lot closer before going to where there are 16 others.....

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I d be looking at the Indy or even St Lewey boards a lot closer before going to where there are 16 others.....

St. Louis had two vans there and the last two weeks only sent out one load on Monday. So here we sit, in the Decatur Petro, just called our friends to go our bail, so we'll remain in the Decatur Petro, just send our mail to the Petro general mail.

Weekends are difficult to get a good run. We would even take Laredo or NYC today instead of sitting. When we are burning fuel we are happy as clams. When we are parked, the world seems dank and stark. Too much time in my fertile mind and I scare myself half to death. Keep us movin, movin, movin, and we arn't disaprovin, etc...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
St. Louis had two vans there and the last two weeks only sent out one load on Monday. So here we sit, in the Decatur Petro, just called our friends to go our bail, so we'll remain in the Decatur Petro, just send our mail to the Petro general mail.

Weekends are difficult to get a good run. We would even take Laredo or NYC today instead of sitting. When we are burning fuel we are happy as clams. When we are parked, the world seems dank and stark. Too much time in my fertile mind and I scare myself half to death. Keep us movin, movin, movin, and we arn't disaprovin, etc...

Patience then is the word of the day.....:)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Peoria, Decatur area has been busy for me...(solo) Van freight moves in and out of there all day. Elk Grove is awesome, but with 16 vans, I'd hang out down South.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App