Charging To Process Logs

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After looking at my settlement for the week I noticed a new charge......A 6.00 dollar fee to process my logs........Yes I am still on paper logs and do not plan on going paperless....I would like to know how many people are still on paper logs and what there thoughts are on this.. if Panther is going to start charging for doing my Logs I will be removing the Cat from this truck!!!!!!
as the Fleet message said this week and I quote 'Whats In It For Me'

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The electronics are much better and easier. I quess the question becomes, why stay with the paper? They are charging because it involves more labor on their part to have them audited. On the electronic, the computer does it all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How much less do they charge, than they used to, for those who went with electronic logs? <snort>

There's certainly more work to manually audit them than there is with computers, but there's absolutely no more work involved than there used to be.

BTW, I loved that "what's in it for me," line, coupled with the next line after that. Seems their idea of "partnership" is vastly different from mine. It was borderline insulting to be talked down to like that in a fleetwide message.

I wonder what they're paying that guy? In any case, he needs to read a little Zig Zigler if ya ask me.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is more work to manually audit a paper log than there is one that has been computer generated.

With regards to the fleet message comment. I am sure it is a reaction and frustration to issues covering some of the loads.
But, the reality is that we are in a turbulent economy coupled with the fact that we are running at rates that were available 10 years ago and now double the operating costs. There is little room for "give one for the Kipper" and remain profitable. and have some longevity. That applies to just about every carrier and driver and remains a constant issue.
It is very tough to maintain a constant balance on both ends.

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We'd cover the load gladly if they'd just send us one. :rolleyes:

As far as the electronic logs..........I LOVE THEM!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It does seem as if the fleet message is "operators are expected to run at a loss if that's what it takes to service the shipper". It's challenging to maintain a positive attitude when it seems the operators are looked at as a revenue source rather than a revenue generator and when changes seem to be only those with no direct monetary costs to implement.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There is more work to manually audit a paper log than there is one that has been computer generated.

Yeah, I know, that's what I said. No question there is more work involved in manually auditing paper logs, but there isn't any more work to manually audit a paper log now than there was before electronic logs became a reality. It's always been the same amount of work to do it manually. But, they now charge more to manually audit paper logs, even though the same work is involved now as there always has been.

It's the electronic logs that have lightened their workload, made them more efficient. If they can justify charging for paper logs, they should be able to equally justify paying everyone who is on electronic logs the same $6 for lightening their workload.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It's the electronic logs that have lightened their workload, made them more efficient. If they can justify charging for paper logs, they should be able to equally justify paying everyone who is on electronic logs the same $6 for lightening their workload
============================================
I see what you mean.
Instead of the six bucks a week, I will go for free QC's for simplicity.:rolleyes:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Instead of the six bucks a week, I will go for free QC's for simplicity.:rolleyes:

So you're leaving Panther and going to Tri-State? They're the ones who've finally seen a little of the light and instituted a declining fee structure for the qc so that from year 5 onward it's free. Imagine that. Rewarding operators for loyalty and longevity rather than charging them more per week than the actual cost for as long as they remain with the company. What a novel idea.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I see what you mean.

I'm in a cargo van. Even simpler still. :)

Really, though, I wonder why someone would actually rather do paper logs than let the QC do it automatically.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in a cargo van. Even simpler still. :)

Really, though, I wonder why someone would actually rather do paper logs than let the QC do it automatically.

Turtle, there are reasons that I do not want to go into here, but as a single driver I can get more miles on paper logs and still make it legal.........and I can prove that fact to you.if you would like I will send you a PM.....

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is this 6.00 a weekly fee being charged back?

Yes, That is correct. they are charging a 6.00 fee to process your logs each week..
after thinking about this I did not send any logs in this week. does that mean they will not charge me......I am sure I know that answer....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, that likely means they'll add another new profit center to the books, weekly log processing late fee. :(

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
What about trucks that can't do paper less logs? Is it fare to charge them?