It's a Team's Life Charcoal Grilling is Kicking My ***

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Family and friends are grilling, and we decided to jump on the bandwagon.

At home, we have a gas grill, and in many years past, we had a pellet grill, and I believe once we had a charcoal grill. Charcoal and I have never gotten along as I am impatient, or I forget that I am grilling and start on another project. My food was either charred or raw due to fire going out.

While at home this last time, we were treated almost every night to dinner that had either been prepared in a smoker or was grilled, and the flavor was out of this world. (I did not cook any of this food)...

READ MORE...

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Charcoal needs to be stacked a certain way to get great heat.....
Question do you use the basic charcoal or do you use the stuff with lighter fuel built in?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
lighter fluid built-in for the charcoal. I am trying not to carry a bunch of stuff to go with the grill. This weekend turned out a bit better and I feel as if I am starting to gain a little bit of knowledge.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Charcoal needs to be stacked a certain way to get great heat.....
Question do you use the basic charcoal or do you use the stuff with lighter fuel built in?
Not to nose in on the conversation here, but either match light or standard charcoal works for me. And, yes, you are correct. Charcoal needs to be piled into a pyramid so it can heat up quickly. I find 20 minute heat up time works best. I use that time to prepare and season my food, clean up the mess, prepare things to put the bbq'd food in, as I will cook extra for the week ahead..

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Mr. Loyalty thanks for your tips. I am trying to cook enough food for the week. This last weekend worked better as I used a little more charcoal. First I cooked Chicken Thighs and sweet potato slices (the sweet potato did not turn out as well as i expected) I added more charcoal and let it calm down again before i cooked hamburgers. We were lining the grill that holds the charcoal with foil for cleanup but this last time we lined the bottom of the grill and I think we got a little better air flow. We are headed into a three-day weekend and I am going to try boneless pork chops and chicken breasts. I do not have a good track record with pork chops but I am feeling a little more confident.