Changing your GVWR

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Hello all.... first post here so let me take the opportunity to thank all the members for the excellent information posted in this forum. It has been an invaluable aid in understanding this industry. I have two questions involving the expediting truck i am soon to purchase. I would like first to know what you members think about a 2007 Peterbilt expiditer with a 260 cummins, 6 speed powertrain, 390 gears with air leaf suspension. I would appreciate any information you could give as their is not much i can find.

Secondly as this truck is slightly used I will be adding a 20,000 pusher axle to it to increase the cargo carrying capacity. I would like to know how you change the gvwr plate to reflect the addition of the axle.

Lastly I would again like to thank all of you for the information that you have provided it has aided me greatly in climbing the learning curve. Best wishes to all of you

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just go to Lansing and tell them what you're doing. They will tell you what weight classifications are available and you'll pick one.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
First, a 3.9 rear?

I have a 3.21 in mine with a 6 speed and a Cummins ISC and it has a top speed of 70 at 2000 RPM. Its runs great through the gears with good acceleration and hill climbing.

Maybe I am wrong but a 3.9 would not be a good choice.

Second, if the chassis GVW sticker says (for example) 21,000lbs - that's it it is 21,000 lbs total weight on that truck. The sticker rules with everything and any time you get dinged at the scale and there is a question about if you are over weight, the registration means nothing - the sticker rules. Oh lansing will give you the plate, but get one guy/gal who had a bad day and wants to be a p***k about it... well you know the rest. I have heard waivers given to some upfitters who have gone through the pain of 'redesigning' the chassis to fit a specific need, like a truck I saw the other day for mining but outside of that, the sticker rules.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At 260 it's a little light on power to begin with. Presuming it's a 33k gvw truck already you will really be struggling on climbs if you add to it. I'd think a 9-10k axle would be iffy and a 20k axle would be way too much added load. ymmv

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Have you considered signing on with an O/O for a year learning the business without any investment on your part?

You’ll have a sizeable monthly payment with a 2007 while driving for an O/O will allow you the ability to save monies that can be used as a down payment and also rainy day fund.

Good Luck!

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Well JohnO I have a story as im sure all of you do... I was formally an attorney(7 years, litigation) then a custom home builder, (9 years) and now because of the economic situation here in Michigan I must do something else for awhile. I cannot relocate at this time for personal reasons. I have had experience as a expedite driver before college with Eagle Expediting and general driving experience with a local delivery company.

I have read every post here and granted all say the same thing, go drive for someone else for awhile. The difficulty with this is that (as all your other posts point out) you can't make a decent living driving for someone else. My lifesyle is such that I cannot afford to work for someone for any length of time as the income stream will not support my obligations.

Right now I have the ability to finance a truck and cash reserves for 3 months opperating expenses. My credit score is in the 800's and I expect to spend no more then 60,000.00 on a 2007 truck with 10 to 15 percent down payment. I am going with a newer unit to avoid the downtime and repair costs associated with a breakdown. (I will say that in an effort to minimize the impact of the truck payment I unloaded my Cadillac DTS which amounted to almost half the thruck payment)

Now if I go to work for someone and make the 800.00 to 1,000.00 per week that I have been offered I will be put into a situation where if any difficulties arise I may be forced to dip into my budgeted operating expenses for living expenses. Further if I hit a real bad patch and it affects my credit rating, well that really affects my ability to enter the profession as an owner operator.

I appreciate the fact that their are things to learn but learning by doing can be a viable stratigy as well. I have already succeeded in two other industries in a learn by doing format, I expect to do the same here. I beleive in working hard and satisfying the customer, are traits that have applicability in any service industry.

I love to drive, I loved being on the road, some of the best times I have enjoyed have come from being on the road. I enjoy the solitude and the company of my fellow drivers. I am 43, healthy, and will not quit, quiting is for people who dont understand that they live in a place where you can be anything you want to be and you are FREE TO FAIL!!!! :)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
A 260 HP coupled with a six speed, and attempting to run down the road with truck and load approaching 40K, you will not only find that 260 is "light", you will find it is light, light. 260 for that much weight coupled with a 9 speed, or, such would be ok for some local delivery, but, not for pounding the road day in and day out. I applaud your determination and agree with your assessment of why you should just "do it". However, I would really reconsider the equipment that you are going to use. As an example, depending on whom you are going to work with, forgetting the extra axle, and adding a liftgate might be a better choice.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Dang, A thumbs up post from the Col. I will agree with the others. If you want to spend more on the base truck spend it on a generator, and then maybe a liftgate depending on the company you would sign on with.

A 2007 Pete for around $70K? is it equipped with a sleeper?

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
yes a sleeper not much of one compared to some of the beasts running around about a 60" but rather have i bit more truck then a bit more sleeper. anybody look at the apu for sale on ebay?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What part of MI are you located in? I too live in MI and went into expediting for ecomomic reasons. I agree that a 260 is a bit light. The truck I have been running for the last two years is a 435, the one I just bought is a 450. I will be home most of the day today, if you want to talk, give me a shout. Layoutshooter

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
F-T-F; I still consider myself a newbie, but I have two team trucks on the road now and a New WS on the way and can I offer some advice?
Your info includes; $60,000 for 07 model anything is questionable, but you have 10/15% to put down (6-9 thou) and three months living expense (4-6 thou?). You understand that driving as a single for a O/O you will make 800 to 1,000 a week. My suggestion, based on being a O/O and also driving as a single is: Take the advice given here by many tried and experienced expediters, sign on with an O/O, keep your downpayment in the bank, you can reduce your expected living expenses, and get experience before taking on the burden of a truck and payment. Why do this? First is that you may find that working for someone else will pay you a lot more than 800/1,000 a week (how much do you expect to earn in your own truck, after truck payment and other related expenses?). Secondly is that going on your own can cause financial distruction by making stupid mistakes that could eaily be learned working for someone else for a short period of time. You want to have even greater earning potential consider a O/O and teaming up with someone else - someone experienced, for a short time.
Again, just a suggestion from another newbie, good luck.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with your suggestion and will look for an individual who can team drive my truck however finding that individual appears to be difficult based on my conversations with some fleet owners. I would certainly be willing to speak with someone from this forum who has the background and skill set, perferably and older driver who does not mind a smoker. The only hang up would be the 5 ft sleeper no that great for a team situation. PM me if you are interested.