Changing the shocks on a truck

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bob shows how to change shocks on a truck using our Cascadia in this You Tube Video

Reactions: Greg

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Good video Bob. I have two questions;
1.What torque setting did you use on your impact.
2. Any reason for not using anti-sieze on the shock mount bushing.

BTW, good miles on those shocks. I usually change mine around 60,000 when running North East because they start to feel soft.

bobcmo

Expert Expediter
Bubble head, thanks for watching. Since it is a self locking nut on a 3/4" bolt, I left the torque setting on max. Just make sure they are tight. I'm sure there is a torque specification for a fastener like this but I did not look it up and I believe as long as you get it tight you won't have a problem with it loosening. I have changed them with hand tools, just got them as tight as I could, they were fine.

Yes, anti-seize would be a good idea, just don't get any on the threads of the bolt. Good idea thanks again.

I usually change shocks every year or around 100,00 miles, these seemed to be doing ok still is why we didn't change them until we put on new tires.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Bob, how many miles do you get on your steers and how often do you rotate them? I believe in the video you mentioned 200k is this correct? If so, what brand, load range and size are you running with?
Sorry for all the questions but tires can cut deep in the profit pocket if neglected.
Thanks.

bobcmo

Expert Expediter
I try to rotate when there is a 2/32 difference between right and left tread depths. When I do rotate I have the tires flipped on the wheels so they are running the same direction as they were originally. Since we run Michelin and they are a directional rotation tire. I also have them balanced at the same time, even though we have Centramatics on every wheel end.

Michelin X Line Energy, 275/80 R 22.5 load range H.

We had some alignment issues early in the life of the truck that started some irregular wear, our last truck we averaged around 250,000 miles for steers.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I try to rotate when there is a 2/32 difference between right and left tread depths. When I do rotate I have the tires flipped on the wheels so they are running the same direction as they were originally. Since we run Michelin and they are a directional rotation tire. I also have them balanced at the same time, even though we have Centramatics on every wheel end.

Michelin X Line Energy, 275/80 R 22.5 load range H.

We had some alignment issues early in the life of the truck that started some irregular wear, our last truck we averaged around 250,000 miles for steers.
Directional tires are only directional for about the first 50K miles, after that there really is no need to flip them to keep same direction.