Changing lanes, BEWARE.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Most people are familiar with this law but if your not beware. Also every State has their version.

Commercial vehicle changing lanes in an intersection is a 4 point moving violation, a big fine and or 30 days forfiture of CDL.

This is S.Carolinas law and DOT enforces it. One of my drivers got a ticket for doing it. The officer told him everything was clear except the tandem. Oh well. :mad:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes and, our very own eo member and saluted saftey guy for fedup chastized me a few ago for being one of those folks that drive thru a city (on a 3 lane) in the middle lane......cranking me for not getting in the right lane going 5 over. Now, I submit that anyone whome wants to go fast needs to figgure out what lane they choose to take (right, middle, left) to gitrdone. Myself, I choose to drive at a decent speed and not place my cargo, equipment and personnel in such a perdikament changing lanes with the git onners and git offers.

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i think all truck should drive in middle lane as it is safer in heavy traffic to be in middle lane
as people don't think of where they are and oh i need to be over there and go
no turn signal

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Yes and, our very own eo member and saluted saftey guy for fedup chastized me a few ago for being one of those folks that drive thru a city (on a 3 lane) in the middle lane......cranking me for not getting in the right lane going 5 over. Now, I submit that anyone whome wants to go fast needs to figgure out what lane they choose to take (right, middle, left) to gitrdone. Myself, I choose to drive at a decent speed and not place my cargo, equipment and personnel in such a perdikament changing lanes with the git onners and git offers.

Several states have prohibitions for commercial vehicles driving in the center lane. While I agree, it's usually more convenient, it's illegal in those states.

One such situation comes to mind: The start of Highway 3, or Huron Church Road, as soon as you exit the CBS plaza entering Windsor, ON. Big signs there tell trucks to use the curb lane. They seldom do.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And further: when you are in the middle lane, and know the road forks soon, and you want the left one, do not move left until there is less than 1 mile to the split.
Especially right in front of a Michigan State Trooper.
:eek:
Hey, if I'd known what the official limit is, I'd have waited another 0.5 miles to move into the empty left lane, ok?
He was kind enough to not give me a ticket, but as he'd explained when I asked whether the 1 mile limit is posted or publicized anywhere, "It's what the judges generally allow", methinks perhaps his kindness was based more upon what the judge might allow, than my welfare. Particularly after the 30 minute fishing expedition through my paperwork provided nothing else he could write up.
:mad:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most states, any vehicle- not just commercial.
Even if it isn't a law common sense should dictate. There is enough going on in an intersection, no need for a lane change. Make your move well before or after the intersection. If you are looking well ahead of your vehicle then this shouldn't be a problem.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Several states have prohibitions for commercial vehicles driving in the center lane.
Name one. Windsor doesn't count as a state. It isn't even part of this country and half the road signage is in French.

When traveling on urban freeways, in this country, with said freeway consisting of 3 or more lanes going in the same direction; the right lane is for local traffic (exiting and entering) the other lanes are for through traffic. If you are traveling well below the speed of the existing traffic, then stay over in the right lane.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Going through Austin, Tx. will always find me in the middle lane...well before I get to Austin and well afterwards too.

In Landline I saw Fl. is trying to pass a law that even though you're doing the speed limit in the fast lane you must move over for someone that's speeding and about to over take you...this concerns me because making a sudden move like that in front of a speeder could increase the chance of an accident...It's alright to drive like a race car driver when everyone around you is a race car driver...they have an idea what you may do at any given moment.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Landline I saw Fl. is trying to pass a law that even though you're doing the speed limit in the fast lane you must move over for someone that's speeding and about to over take you...
Many states have signage, if not actual laws, stating; "stay right except to pass" or "slower traffic use right lane".

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Rationale left long ago!! You used to enter a highway beyond the exit ramp but someone decided it was better to enter the highway in the deceleration lane of the exit ramp. There seems to be a lack of common sense in highway construction.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When the cop pulled me over and asked why I was in both lanes I simply told him the sign said Richmond use both lanes so i did exactly as it said and used both lanes;)

piattteam

Active Expediter
Name one. Windsor doesn't count as a state. It isn't even part of this country and half the road signage is in French.

When traveling on urban freeways, in this country, with said freeway consisting of 3 or more lanes going in the same direction; the right lane is for local traffic (exiting and entering) the other lanes are for through traffic. If you are traveling well below the speed of the existing traffic, then stay over in the right lane.

I received a pricy ticket in Sacramento, CA., for being in the center lane. CHP said "traffic entering the freeway must merge with you- not you with them. If you have to run them into the shoulder, do it!"

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Reminds me of an old blues song " If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all."

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
When the cop pulled me over and asked why I was in both lanes I simply told him the sign said Richmond use both lanes so i did exactly as it said and used both lanes;)

I had a cop ask me once why I didn't have an inspection sticker on my vehicle.

I said "I took it off." He wanted to know why.

I said "It wasn't any good any more."

He looked at me, twitched once or twice, then tilted his head sideways like a puppy who doesn't understand what you're saying.

Then he wrote me a ticket.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I know that some states have signage stating the left lane is for passing but this is all together
different because you may be passing a car or two but you happen to notice Mario coming up on you at a high rate of speed so you try and get over to get out of his way but you may find yourself pulling right in front of him....he or she is has already got an idea what their next move is and at the last second you're in their sights.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I know that some states have signage stating the left lane is for passing but this is all together
different because you may be passing a car or two but you happen to notice Mario coming up on you at a high rate of speed so you try and get over to get out of his way but you may find yourself pulling right in front of him....he or she is has already got an idea what their next move is and at the last second you're in their sights.
If they are driving that fast, I'm not really concerned about what their next move is. That is their problem. I also have always used the center lane...and in the event the right lane backs up with stopped traffic tryng to exit the freeway, I'll move to the left again.

I've seen way too many times that a car running 50 mph in the center lane tries to get just the nose of their car into a hole in that backed up right lane, leaving rear of the car blocking half of the center lane. I use the center lane I will use the left lane if needed. I would rather have the ticket than get caught with no place to go.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I had a moron make an abrupt stop in the center lane of the interstate, under an overpass, I believe to avoid driving his nice pick up in hail.
I was in TT. I usually don't let this stuff bother me. For an instant I had an urge to take my tie-down bar to his hood.
Thankfully for both of us the urge passed quickly.