Changes for prospective Canuck straight drivers

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have a straight (yet) but I noticed on the MTO website a few changes...

- you now need a medical on a Class G to drive commercial trucks (10001 lb) in US as of Jul 2016
-you now need a medical on Class D as of Jan 2017 to drive in US

American drivers will be rolling their eyes and saying its about time...

Also, the G license maximum now is listed at 24,000 lbs on the MTO website. Effectively eliminating all the juice brake 5 tons I've been shopping. What straight has a GVWR of 24,000?

Class D appears to have an actual driving test component, meaning you have to rent a truck and likely take a course to have a chance for insurance.

So if you have diabetes, epilepsy or are hearing impaired forget about driving for a career.

Used to be D was just a written test and you could get your A with a pickup and trailer. Last A driving course I saw was $6500 (and took 6 months). A lot has happened since 1991 the last time I checked into it, lol. And I haven't even started on the CVOR, PRP and yearly inspection sticker stuff yet

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep training starting at 599, they will come to you, which helps. Looks to be like a fair amount of overhead for a van driver to switch between insurance, mpg, plating, road taxes etc. At 1.45 a mile doesn't seem worth it...providing any van deliveries come up before I go bk again

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear straight truck rates are all over the place, probably best to call some companies and find out or have someone chime in. $1.45 to up to $2 a mile if you are the only truck in area and they need load covered.

MPG would be half of a Sprinter on truck I'm looking at so no problem just cutting everything in half on the numbers.

I'm worried about the difficulty of paperwork/permits cost required to actually get moving?!

CDL B done, truck can be done, next step please (guess its time to start calling carriers again)