Chains

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Puting on chains in freezing tempratures sucks! I was going over the pass from Sacramento to Reno (third time this week) and had to put chains on yet again. The chains I had were all banged up and barely holding on so the chain control didn't let me through. Had to go a few exits back to a gas station to get new chains. Now I always used chains and never cables. Cables is all these guys had at the gas station and none the exact size for me. I feel like they dont exist with this weird tire size that the transits have. I got the ones closest to what I needed and it worked out. After the first time using cable chains I gotta say BRAVO to whoever invented them :D So much easier to put on and they hold on so much better not to mention cause less stress to your wheels! So that's my evening... how ya all doing?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to confess I've never used them. Combined with a locking rearend, General Arctic Alpine got me thru anything under 5ish feet (when the snow went over the hood of my Ram Van 3500)

The looks on the faces of the 4WD guys was priceless. No, open wheel peel x 2 doesn't beat 1 good locker

I don't even think chains are legal in Ontario

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
K I looked it up

"According to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, the occasional use oftire chains to drive through icy or snowconditions is not illegal. However, continuous use of traction devices on dry paved roads is illegal in Ontario."

That's nice and clearly stated isn't it :p

Edit: handy all of canada guide
You asked for it, we got it – Canadian chain laws

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
K I looked it up

"According to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, the occasional use oftire chains to drive through icy or snowconditions is not illegal. However, continuous use of traction devices on dry paved roads is illegal in Ontario."

That's nice and clearly stated isn't it :p

Edit: handy all of canada guide
You asked for it, we got it – Canadian chain laws
I would never use them myself but they set up these road blocks to check your tires. They got so good at it that there is literally no way around them unless you detour through Canada :D I sort of get it, a lot of people can barely drive on a nice sunny day... oh well!

Reactions: brokcanadian

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Puting on chains in freezing tempratures sucks! I was going over the pass from Sacramento to Reno (third time this week) and had to put chains on yet again. The chains I had were all banged up and barely holding on so the chain control didn't let me through. Had to go a few exits back to a gas station to get new chains. Now I always used chains and never cables. Cables is all these guys had at the gas station and none the exact size for me. I feel like they dont exist with this weird tire size that the transits have. I got the ones closest to what I needed and it worked out. After the first time using cable chains I gotta say BRAVO to whoever invented them :D So much easier to put on and they hold on so much better not to mention cause less stress to your wheels! So that's my evening... how ya all doing?
I never have used chains. My motto is “if it’s too bad enough to use chains then it too bad to drive”. Better besafe then sorry.

Reactions: guido4475

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
I never have used chains. My motto is “if it’s too bad enough to use chains then it too bad to drive”. Better besafe then sorry.
There is truth to what you say. Sometimes though you gotta go and to be honest I have driven in some horrible conditions and not ones had I thought they were too bad to drive in. I feel comfortable behind the wheel and so if I have to I'll go really slow but thank God I haven't been in "must stop" conditions yet. They close roads usually because the majority dont know how to handle it and nobody cares if you can drive fine in these conditions :p

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is truth to what you say. Sometimes though you gotta go and to be honest I have driven in some horrible conditions and not ones had I thought they were too bad to drive in. I feel comfortable behind the wheel and so if I have to I'll go really slow but thank God I haven't been in "must stop" conditions yet. They close roads usually because the majority dont know how to handle it and nobody cares if you can drive fine in these conditions :p
As far as i am concerned no freight is worth risking your life over. The customer will just have to wait a little while longer.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dooner Pass, when we went over, was good for anything or body being reasonable. Having said that, big brother said chains or 4 wheel drive with snow tires. So chains not for conditions, but covering someone’s........

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Dooner Pass, when we went over, was good for anything or body being reasonable. Having said that, big brother said chains or 4 wheel drive with snow tires. So chains not for conditions, but covering someone’s........
Yeah... glad I am out I am out of there. Went back and forth through there 4 times last week! Once it was so bad they closed it and I had to drive all the way back and around by lake Tahoe... though this ice and wind in North Dakota are making me miss the heavy but stable snowfall of California mountains

Sent from my SM-J337A using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: NorthernBill

guido4475

Not a Member

Exactly. And if you are involved in a accident while chained up, there are some insurance companies that will not cover you. If jts that bad where one gas to chain up while driving, than they shouldn't be driving to begin with, IMO.

Reactions: Compa and Treadmill

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Exactly. And if you are involved in a accident while chained up, there are some insurance companies that will not cover you. If jts that bad where one gas to chain up while driving, than they shouldn't be driving to begin with, IMO.
As I mentioned before, I have never ran into a weather where it's too bad to drive, but it makes it hard to do so when they block the road and demand you put on chains or turn around

guido4475

Not a Member
As far as i am concerned no freight is worth risking your life over. The customer will just have to wait a little while longer.

Exactly. I'm glad that Load One isn't one of those companies that push their drivers to drive against their will in bad road conditions. They are good to us in that respect.

Reactions: Treadmill

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Exactly. I'm glad that Load One isn't one of those companies that push their drivers to drive against their will in bad road conditions. They are good to us in that respect.
Nobody was forcing me bud. I feel comfortable driving in those weathers. All but the freezing while puting on chains

guido4475

Not a Member
As I mentioned before, I have never ran into a weather where it's too bad to drive, but it makes it hard to do so when they block the road and demand you put on chains or turn around

If they block the road and make you chain up then you shouldn't be on the roads at all. Is that $1,000 load really worth it? Especially after lodging, getting pulled out, vehicle damage, and freight damage/loss???.

What kind of phone call do you think that you're dispatcher wants to make to the customer? One that says our driver has stopped until the roads improve, or, the call that tells them that their load is a total loss in the median?.....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Oh , Guido go easy on the " Small Straight Driver " it has all those years of Experience driving in Winter conditions in HAWAII ....