Chain laws. Newbie question.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Owner Op , been OOS, for several months fixing the truck and dealing with health issues.
Called company, back in service, a few hours later they call with a solo run to Portland Oregon from Northern Mi.
I'm ok with it, plenty of time, decent pay and extra money to bail out if I get stuck... ( promises, promises. ..).
Anyway, my question is where is a good place to buy chains and what is the right type to buy that's legal and Easy to put on if needed. Also, cost?
I don't have a set and want to be legal.
I was thinking of shopping for some once I got West of the Miss.
Any thoughts would be great.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Owner Op , been OOS, for several months fixing the truck and dealing with health issues.
Called company, back in service, a few hours later they call with a solo run to Portland Oregon from Northern Mi.
I'm ok with it, plenty of time, decent pay and extra money to bail out if I get stuck... ( promises, promises. ..).
Anyway, my question is where is a good place to buy chains and what is the right type to buy that's legal and Easy to put on if needed. Also, cost?
I don't have a set and want to be legal.
I was thinking of shopping for some once I got West of the Miss.
Any thoughts would be great.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app
Any place that sells truck tires would have them. They would be able to tell you how many you would need and even show you how to install them. Not sure of the price. State of Oregon requires that you have them at all times, even if you don’t plan on using them. In my book, if you have to use chains to drive, that is unsafe driving. Use your own discretion about driving with them or not. Remember the freight will always arrive whether it is on time or not. Your life is more important than the freight. JMHO.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The argument that if you have to Chain up its time to shut down is bogus.
A perfect example is going west out of Reno.
Truckee is an easy gradual hill.
Chains are needed often.
I'd rather hang iron and get over the hill, into Ca sunshine than sit in Reno, wait for the Chain requirement to be lifted, and make the trip in a crowd.
Of course, only recommended once you're comfortable with winter and mountain driving.
And I'm more concerned with visibility.
Just don't let anybody push you past your limit or ability. That will come with experience.
Also, it's nice to Chain up to get to a good Truckstop instead of a day or two in a rest area.

Reactions: Boatcat

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Chains are needed often.
I'd rather hang iron and get over the hill, into Ca sunshine than sit in Reno, wait for the Chain requirement to be lifted, and make the trip in a crowd.
Of course, only recommended once you're comfortable with winter and mountain driving.
Just don't let anybody push you past your limit or ability. That will come with experience.
Also, it's nice to Chain up to get to a good Truckstop instead of a day or two in a rest area.
I don’t think he’s going that way. More like going across Cabbage is a lot more rougher than Truckee. Better be safe than sorry.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Chains are needed often.
I don’t think he’s going that way. More like going across Cabbage is a lot more rougher than Truckee. Better be safe than sorry.

I didn't think he would go that way.
I may not Chain up to go from Cheyenne to Laramie , if I was leaving one cold Truckstop for another.
But to leave a frigid Reno/ Sparks to get to Ca sunshine I thought was an extreme example.
One point I forgot is that chained up, running 20-25 mph with people focused, often single file, is a relaxing way to get over a hill.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Chains are needed often.
I guess some unnamed reader never got the skills to drive chained up ?
Why would you "dislike " a legitimate post without offering a counterpoint to the poster's idea ?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Cabbage, North Powder, along the Columbia River with ice. I ran that nightly for 8 years with triples or doubles when bad. Have heard from all the big time truckers who never have used chains and yes past most of them when their jack knifed or ditched. Any Les Swab tire dealer on the way out sells for trucks. Once into Utah you can find them in any town. You can take the chance but if your in a scale and they inspect you and you don't have them, you won't move till someone brings them to you and also a hefty fine. If you crash w/o chains the fine starts a $1k and goes up. So my advice don't listen to the big time, be safe.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cabbage, North Powder, along the Columbia River with ice. I ran that nightly for 8 years with triples or doubles when bad. Have heard from all the big time truckers who never have used chains and yes past most of them when their jack knifed or ditched. Any Les Swab tire dealer on the way out sells for trucks. Once into Utah you can find them in any town. You can take the chance but if your in a scale and they inspect you and you don't have them, you won't move till someone brings them to you and also a hefty fine. If you crash w/o chains the fine starts a $1k and goes up. So my advice don't listen to the big time, be safe.
Les Schwab Tire in Utah, that’s where I bought mine.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I didn't say ALWAYS CHAIN UP.
I said evaluate the pros and cons, check the conditions, and your skill set, and make an informed decision.
There's time it makes sense and times that it's not worth it.

My point is NEVER chaining up is not a good philosophy.

Reactions: NorthernBill

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
From an insurance perspective it's not cost effective. I've chained up through both the Donner & Sisque once to prove a lame point that I could.
Growing up in Alaska we did not use them.
None of that matters when you crash, they all ask why you were doing un-safe driving. Which makes you public enemy, with no allies.

Carry the chains as law requires, but remember. When your speed drops below 40mph you ain't making any money and act accordingly.

All the animals fear & respect the lion, but when he drops, the vultures, hyenas, jackals, flies & beetles all feed on his carcass.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is cost effective when I Chain up, deliver Tuesday, and reload Tuesday or early Wednesday.
Vs waiting and delivering Wednesday.
All the receiver knows is we loaded on the same day but my carrier delivered on time.

Only if I think I can safely do it.