Phones Cell phone carriers

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know this has been talked about before, but I'm looking for reassurance before making a change. I've had AT&T cell service for over 10 years now. Verizon has a deal where they'll give me $200 trade in for my old IPhone 4. That's means a free IPhone 6! If I upgrade to the 64 gig it's a $99 upgrade for the IPhone 6. The rate comes in better then my AT&T plan. With AT&T I am paying $85 for 450 minutes, 1,500 text and 3 gigs of data. Verizon is $60 for unlimited phone and text with 2 gigs of data. $15 for each gig over. So if I plan on using 3 gigs, I'm still only at $75. Cheaper then my current plan!

My question is, will the Verizon service be better then the AT&T service that I already have? I'll also be moving from the 3G of my IPhone 4 to the 4G LTE service on the IPhone 6. So, is the nationwide service and 4G better at Verizon then AT&T?? Thanks guys and gals.

Last edited:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I don't have Verizon, but they should be just as good, if not better than AT&T in terms of coverage. Keep in mind that all companies will have a dead spot here and there.

Something else to consider, with 4G you will burn up more data.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I know this has been talked about before, but I'm looking for reassurance before making a change. I've had AT&T cell service for over 10 years now. Verizon has a deal where they'll give me $200 trade in for my old IPhone 4. That's means a free IPhone 6! If I upgrade to the 32 gig it's a $99 upgrade for the IPhone 6. The rate comes in better then my AT&T plan. With AT&T I am paying $85 for 450 minutes, 1,500 text and 3 gigs of data. Verizon is $60 for unlimited phone and text with 2 gigs of data. $15 for each gig over. So if I plan on using 3 gigs, I'm still only at $75. Cheaper then my current plan!

My question is, will the Verizon service be better then the AT&T service that I already have? I'll also be moving from the 3G of my IPhone 4 to the 4G LTE service on the IPhone 6. So, is the nationwide service and 4G better at Verizon then AT&T?? Thanks guys and gals.

We have Verizon and really can't complain. Dropped calls are rare. Text issues are usually rare.
I think our issues that we have had have stemmed from pushing a few thousand emails a day to our iPhone 4s phones. It seems that when we are moving between areas and switch towers every few minutes we end up getting emails in "batches" sometimes. It's a lot of data. And maybe a lot to ask of a cell phone. But overall, we're happy with VZW.
Although looking hard at some of the deals out there now.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know this has been talked about before, but I'm looking for reassurance before making a change. I've had AT&T cell service for over 10 years now. Verizon has a deal where they'll give me $200 trade in for my old IPhone 4. That's means a free IPhone 6! If I upgrade to the 64 gig it's a $99 upgrade for the IPhone 6. The rate comes in better then my AT&T plan. With AT&T I am paying $85 for 450 minutes, 1,500 text and 3 gigs of data. Verizon is $60 for unlimited phone and text with 2 gigs of data. $15 for each gig over. So if I plan on using 3 gigs, I'm still only at $75. Cheaper then my current plan!

What I don't see you list is the $40 smartphone line access charge that I pay with the same plan that takes it up to $100 unless your getting some deal on that, I'd check into that to avoid any surprise.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I don't see you list is the $40 smartphone line access charge that I pay with the same plan that takes it up to $100 unless your getting some deal on that, I'd check into that to avoid any surprise.

There was no mention of any line access charge! This is a current promotion being offered. I haven't made the switch yet and haven't signed any contract. Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure to ask and I'll be very clear that my contract matches what I'm being told. Thanks

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was no mention of any line access charge! This is a current promotion being offered. I haven't made the switch yet and haven't signed any contract. Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure to ask and I'll be very clear that my contract matches what I'm being told. Thanks

I looked over my plan and the new single line plan that you refer to. Looks like you are correct with the pricing. I some how got into the more everything plan that cost more. Looks like on the single line plan you can not use your device as a wifi hotspot. I do that a lot so not a good plan for me. But sounds like a good deal.
I can't compare service with att as I never had it, but I have been extremely happy with Verizon coverage. And going to 4G service just rocks. So much so now that when I have to use 3G I can't stand it.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a no-contract Verizon phone. Only 3G but the service is awesome. Full bars in North Dakota awesome :) . Unlimited talk & text, $45 including 500 megs of data. Additional data costs $5 for 500 megs, $10 for a gig, and $20 for 3 gigs. I'm happy :cool:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I looked over my plan and the new single line plan that you refer to. Looks like you are correct with the pricing. I some how got into the more everything plan that cost more. Looks like on the single line plan you can not use your device as a wifi hotspot. I do that a lot so not a good plan for me. But sounds like a good deal.
I can't compare service with att as I never had it, but I have been extremely happy with Verizon coverage. And going to 4G service just rocks. So much so now that when I have to use 3G I can't stand it.

Your right about the wifi hot spot. To get that option I would need a more expensive plan. I can use my phone for almost everything, and step into a Denny's or McD's if I need to use my laptop or tablet. Thanks for the info!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Someone, either ATT or Sprint is waiving the $15 line access charge until January of 2016.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Get a new plan we've been with Att for 11 years! We just changed our plan it's unlimited talk and text with 30gigs shared data for $170 a month that includes 2 iPhone 5S we have and 2 iPads we carry ... Literally just started the promotion.

Sent from my flying circus

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
If you do Candian runs, watch out, BOTH AT&T and Verizon can run up an astronomical bill! I use T-Mobile, probably more holes than other services BUT no nasty overages ever! Unlike most if not all other carriers, when your data is gone it just throttles to 2G and you run out the bill cycle slower BUT no extra fees. Canadian data is included, no extra, you do pay extra for voice, BUT with T-mobile wifi calling is free, so I try to limit calls to places with wifi, overall price can't be beat if you can put up with a little more spotty coverage than the others and even that isn't bad on major routes, can't say about places like ND.

TS