CDL newby looking to purchase an expeditor and go to work Advice?

merealtor

Rookie Expediter
Hello I have had my CDL since July 2013 but no real tractor exp. (a few trips to Cali and back is all with my brother) I work for a local company driving a straight truck though had surgery in May on my shoulder. I will spare you all the reason. Anyway I am still in Physical Therapy but am planning on returning to work in January. The boss has been texting and calling asking when I will be ready to return to work. However, I want to buy an expeditor as I have a little money saved up and sign on with a company. I also have my own authority as I had a tractor/trailer and a couple of drivers from 2008-2011 until the last driver sabotaged my tractor to the point I wasn't able to get it back on the road. So I am somewhat new to the driving end but familiar with the business somewhat. I have about 15k give or take to put up for a truck. i want to pay cash for something. I have a great job history over the last 30 years. Looking for some good advice Thanks, Jeff

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably won't like my answer. 15k basically means you have no money. You would be buying junk and then have to have the money in reserve to fix it. Save your money and drive for someone else and get alittle more road experience unless you just want to broker loads. Still need the broker bond and all that just to take that on.
If you just want to gamble the 15k away, take the odds in Vegas as they are much better.

merealtor

Rookie Expediter
I appreciate the response. A couple of thoughts. I would have some reserves if that makes any difference. Secondly I wonder if there are some decent companies to drive for should I decide to go that direction being a newby and all. What do they normally pay Thanks again

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is a mixed bag as far as what they pay. I would still recommend driving for someone and then you will gain experience and find a company that fits your needs without a huge cash outlay.
You may find this worth reading since it is current.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...um/64511-5-owner-operator-mistakes-avoid.html

I totally agree with Dave on this one also. 15k is reserve money just for you not for a truck purchase. If however you are head strong on buying and choose not to drive for an owner first. Keep your 15k and buy a reasonable priced truck, that you have checked out very well and finance the purchase at good rate and a reputable financial institution. Read the link Dave posted. We are talking about loans and interest but really, drive first !!!

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Merealtor;

If you have $15,000 to put down on a straight truck and if you have additional financial reserves to get you by for a few months should something happen to you or the truck, then I would suggest leasing onto a reputable expedite carrier and operate under their authority. It can be tough for a 1 truck company to run under their own authority and make reasonable money for all of the additional headaches associated with running under your own authority.

Thanks,