: CCS Driver Training School ???

G

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of or attended CCS Driver Training School in Fall Branch, TN (close to Kingsport). My hubby and I are thinking about attending there.

Thanks,
Suz

G

Suz, as I live in Canada, I can't comment on the school you mentioned, but I would think that the state (Tennesse) must license driver training schools. I would suggest a call to the state office that tests the school's instructors, to ask how long they have been operating in that state, and to find out how many hours of instruction are required to satisfy the state's minimum requirements for Class A driver training instructor's rating.

The second thing I would suggest, is that you call trucking companies in your local area, and talk to their safety or fleet managers and find out if the school is known to them. A few minutes on the phone will save you a lot of money, if the answers are negative about the school or their graduates. The industry is sorely in need of good, careful, safe drivers. The experienced drivers seem to forget that we all had a first day some where back in the far distant past, and I have all ways tried to help those who ask for assistance.

If you are going to part with your own money to take a driver training course, I would insist on references from the school, that is names and phone numbers of at least 5 recent graduates, who you can call and ask questions of. Ask pointed questions, and have the questions written down before you even make the first call. If the school will not provide references, I would not spend my money with them, and I would tell them politely that that was the reason they would not be seeing you or your husband as students. I find that the business of driver training, (and it is a business), is full of people who may be experienced drivers, but are lousy teachers, because they have never been properly trained to impart their knowledge to others.

You may think I have very strong opinions on this subject, and you are right. My previous life included a position as a driver instructor/examiner with the Metropolitan Toronto Department of Ambulance Services, the largest EMS service in Canada. I was responsible for the testing and evaluation of all the 1,700 drivers that worked for the department. They operated a wide range of vehicles, from regular vans, all the way up to 40 foot diesel powered multi-patient buses. The biggest problem we faced was breaking the bad habits that drivers had brought with them to the job. Most young people today have had no experience with vehicles larger than a Honda car, so teaching them to back up safely was a real challenge. The fact that you can't see thru an ambulance, but rather have to use the mirrors when backing was a big surprise to our newly graduated medical technicians.

Any way, I seem to have gone overboard here, I'm sure you will be fine if you take the time to check the school fully. Best of luck to you both. Jim Bunting...