CB/HAM CB Shops

Sparky147

Rookie Expediter
Been on the road for a little over a month and seen so many CB shops and talked to a few of these shop owners. Want to find and buy a quality built unit but know the risk of dealing with these road side people so who has any feed back on good cb shops that produce reliable units

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was humor we all know it's a typo.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Dr Phil

Rookie Expediter
As a driver who is also a licensed Ham operator. I would make sure they are trained techs...most are not. Also stay away from the "Export" radios such as any that do 10 or 12 meters. I get sent reports of shops getting busted with very hi fines..such as $18,000.00 .
And if you are caught with one that has been modified to work C.B. those fines are very stiff too.And the F.C.C. has started cracking down. If cough with a amp that is not approved..and NO c.b. amp is it can cost you up to 10 grand in fines..so.be careful

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is my $1.00 worth it used to be 2 cents but everything is expensive now.

C.B. installs are not that difficult but can be time consuming.

Radio.
If your'e starting out and just want to listen and talk this is what I recommend.
I run with is a Cobra 29 classic, Its a good unit out of the box and its been around forever, can be tweaked, parts are readily available, reasonably priced, looks nice, and ranges up to 2 miles if its installed it correctly.

Antennas.
The ready made antenna kits will work fine. This is the important part, the most expensive unit will transmit and receive poorly thus sounding like crap on both ends if you have garbage for antennas and coax.
If extra cash allows buy the higher quality Coax, usually has a clear jacket you will likely need a splitter if you run live dual antennas unless you pay for a custom build. The advantage to a splitter is if you corrode the outside plug you only have to replace that side not both. Firestick adjustable antennas are better but not critical.

Remember a minimum length of 8 feet each side to maintain the signal wave as the transmit wave form works in 8 foot increments, and place the antennas as far out on the mirrors as you can at least 8 feet or as close to 8 feet as you can get. Make sure you DO NOT coil the extra coax. Instead lay it in the headliner in a serpentine pattern. I also recommend running a separate ground wire to the antenna base to a ground point on the body this helps with performance.
DOUBLE FUSE YOUR RADIO!!! Use the fuse installed on the radio and fuse at the power source just in case something shorts you don't destroy your radio or burn your truck to the ground.
If your running live dual antennas balance them with a meter. Antenna length, at least fiberglass antennas 36 " 48" are better , Idealy, are ones that that can clear the box you get better transmission, but you will whack every tree, bridge, you drive under.

Here is the best way to tell if a CB shop or any service provider is worth working with.
1) If you ask a question does the guy answer in plain english and with a confident answer? Yes or No.
If the answer is all geek tech lingo and no reasonable break down so you can understand it, or the person apears to have no clue of what a CB is and how it works.
2) He / she insists you need a ton of modifications, or the most expensive unit, or just doesn't seem to be honest
3) Do they have the equipment to do the work properly, and test it to make sure you don't damage your truck, or exceed the FCC transmitting regulations?

If at least these questions don't get answered to your satisfaction this should be a warning sign and its time to leave with your hard earned cash in hand.

1) If the shop will at least to a reasonable level translate the technical terms to your understanding,
2) Show and tell its a reputable shop. If they take your radio and disappear for fifteen minutes and hand it back to you not reputable in my book

Dr Phil

Rookie Expediter
I agree with Bob. and do remember. Your antenna is the most important item in the signal chain ! Without getting too technical. ..One properly mounted and grounded antenna will in almost all cases work better than a dual set up as they like to cancel themselves out. Unless they are 33+:feet apart Wichita is a full wave on the C B. Band and I have the research papers to prove it ! Also tilting your antenna forward will kill almost all the gain as your signal ends up going straight up and straight down to ground ! It may look cool but it is very inefficient !

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

Sparky147

Rookie Expediter
Ok this thread has taken a huge step to the left. I do appreciate all the technical info but what I am asking is if anyone has had any radio work done whether it be a simple peak and tune or went illegal and had an amp installed or bought a hot radio from any cb shop and how it has worked for them I almost bought a less than legal radio from said shop off 131 in Byron center michigan. But was weary on spending the asking price because uncertain of their craftsmanship and before someone reads me the right act I do understand that amped up cbs are illegal but when I had a cb in my pickup had a guy that has a shop in Middletown Ohio supposedly peak and tune the **** thing but all he did was pull the cover off for money and his tweaking actually reduced my power and modulation so looking for reviews on cb shops people have used

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Q-5 Communications, Madison, WI I-90, exit 132, 2nd floor of the Shell truck stop. If you want a quality setup that is legal, check them out.