cb radios

irishkearns

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I want to buy my husband a new cb for his truck for Father's Day and I need some help. The one he currently has is from Radio Shack and I think we paid something like $50.00 for it and it only gets out about 3 miles...he wants a real good one that gets out there about 10 miles like the "big guys" have. Can someone give me some names and types to buy???

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I've used a Cobra 29 for several years with little modification and done fine. There are more powerful (and expensive) radios out there, but for reliability and overall performance, I don't believe you could go wrong with them. I believe, last time I looked, you can get one for around $125.00 at most larger truck stops. They probably can sell you a power mike for a little better output also.

Trucker Matt

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Cobra 29 is an excellent radio. I bought one recently that has 7 weather channels and a night face (it lights up real well at night). The weather channels are handy, especially with the weather alert. If there is some sort of weather emergency an alarm sounds even if the CB is turned off!
I also have a Galaxy 88 -- it is a big radio. They retail for around $360 to $400. I haven't used mine for about a year be cause it wouldn't in the trucks we've been driving, but we have a new truck coming with space for it and I am looking forward to using it again.
Your husband also might want to upgrade his antenna and co-ax cable. Those make nice gifts too... I just got a Wilson 5000 antenna for my birthday :) Have fun...
Matt