CB channel

Thumper

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawrence when is the voting going to be closed on the CB channel question? Let us know what the decision is and we'll (the wife & I, we can't speak for everybody else), will go along with the consensus. Thanks for your support!!!!

Beaker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It looks like the end result of the voting is inacurate. I noticed the total votes was 1330, yet the total views of the topic only generated 216 views. That averages out to 6.15 votes per view.
Not a scientific poll! :eek:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-00 AT 08:52AM (GMT)[/font][p]http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/User_files/38f6ab916b891a19.jpg
Lawrence McCord

At first glance that is correct, but most votes were generated directly from an email link to the URL - not through the forum. We also had a few hundred from Joe's forum - they replied directly to the URL as well. So the counter does not accurately reflect all the voters and where they came from.

I will agree however, that once a surfer is there this URL does not prohibit multiple votes - All in all, this was done in good fun! Thanks everyone.

Lawrence McCord
Expediters Online.Com

PS All our other Voting URLS are all spam protected. Each IP address is recorded and multiple votes are purged.

Beaker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-00 AT 02:01PM (GMT)[/font][p]Hmm,

Unless you recorded unique visits to the voting box and blocked voters by IP address or cookies, how could you know that most votes were generated by email or by direct hits from outside links?

I just tried "falsifying" votes, and was able to score 50 votes in about 1 minute time by hitting the back button in my browser then re-voting. It can also be done by hitting reload or refresh in your browser on the results page. Try it for yourself.

Just a few days ago, channel 40 was leading by about 75 votes. Today channel 29 leads by almost 500.

Someone stacked the deck.

Why wasn't IP blocking or the use of cookies used to prevent cheating?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/User_files/38f6ab916b891a19.jpg
Lawrence McCord

Hello Beaker,

Point well made. We did not use security measures on this vote because of the nature of the Topic. Overall - Good fun. I can tell you that when we record & cookie IP's - our response is always lower.

All in all you are correct about IP & cookies - If the Forum Members would like a more secure vote on this Topic let us know.

Lawrence McCord
Expediters Online.com

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
i, for one, voted three times -- because i liked channel 30, i voted for it first. Then i read Chris's post about 30 being the channel selected for OOIDA members, so i went back to change my vote. In order to do so, i had to vote TWICE more -- once to cancel my other vote, and another time to make my vote. Perhaps a more secure vote would be more accurate -- however, what about people that are teams, where there are actually TWO votes coming from the same computer? i ran into that problem in the "Rate the Companies Survey" -- we've worked for three different companies, and i would have rated each of them, but was locked out. i don't guess it makes a PROFOUND difference exactly WHICH channel we use -- as long as everyone is on the SAME channel, right?

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I just voted once for channel 30. I think channel 29 will work. It doesn't matter to me what channel. I just have to remember how to hook my CB back up. I haven't listened to it in so long..lol