Cat c-9

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Anyone run the c9 acert engine? I'm wondering about a ticking noise and wanted to see if anyone else has it? Does it at idle after reaching operating temperature and sounds like its coming from the heui pump, thanks ...

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Its almost a kind of knock, I think its coming from my heui pump, at idle it makes the ticking noise if I move the steering wheel back and forth it goes away but its starting to get annoying, no power loss or engine codes etc.. just annoying and want to make sure its not something bad.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Moving the steering wheel ? Is that putting a load on the engine ? Or is it ps pump ?
That ought to be an obvious clue to a good mechanic.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Could it be the values or lifters?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure yet, it sounds like its coming from the pump (heui ) I was planning on having the rack ran in two weeks, I just put a new compressor on it and now my air is running up to 145 then purging back to 100 , its got a couple issues now but that ticking noise is driving me insane

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It would be unusual to have a ticking coming out of the power steering pump. I would be more inclined to think it is coming from the compressor or the arm that goes to it.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Did you ever figure it out?

sent from my Galaxy S3

Noise is still there, it goes quiet very time the compressor purges, I ran across multiple posts on a CAT forum and found many owners of these engines with the exact same sounds and concerns, its coming from the huei pump and I have been told by several people the gear in the from of the engine is the cause, not concrete evidence by far but while sitting next to another cat engine I personally heard the same sounds. The cat tech I.spoke with said its not an uncommon noise and as long as I'm running good oil pressure and not getting a shutter at acceleration than I'm ok ( still drives me nuts when I am outside the truck while its running )

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
It would be unusual to have a ticking coming out of the power steering pump. I would be more inclined to think it is coming from the compressor or the arm that goes to it.

I was also told a weak power steering pump will cause the compressor to create more torque on other parts thus causing noise, again several techs listened to it and assured me its nothing major.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive got an 05, c9 ive been in the truck 3 yrs 755000 miles been ticking since day one stays the same doesnt change i now own the truck and its still there i kinda hoped it would go away with a new owner but. That was a joke .the heui and injectors have been replaced along with camshaft 2 seperate incidents truck still runs milage hasent changed but thats a cat according to cat ive asked at least 10 of them jus sayin.ALL THAT HAVE LOOKED AT THE TRUCK SAY ITS THE COMPRESSOR ROD LIVE WITH IT THEY SAID WHEN IT GOES GET A NEW COMP.
PS IVE PUT 400000 MILES ON THE TRUCK MYSELF.

Last edited:

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Ive got an 05, c9 ive been in the truck 3 yrs 755000 miles been ticking since day one stays the same doesnt change i now own the truck and its still there i kinda hoped it would go away with a new owner but. That was a joke .the heui and injectors have been replaced along with camshaft 2 seperate incidents truck still runs milage hasent changed but thats a cat according to cat ive asked at least 10 of them jus sayin.ALL THAT HAVE LOOKED AT THE TRUCK SAY ITS THE COMPRESSOR ROD LIVE WITH IT THEY SAID WHEN IT GOES GET A NEW COMP.
PS IVE PUT 400000 MILES ON THE TRUCK MYSELF.

Does it go away when the compressor kicks off? Its an aggravating sound and coming from an engine I depend on its even more bothersome, ever have any injector cup or sleeve issues? Has the rack been ran on the truck since you've driven it? Thx for the info

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
BTW I put a new compressor on less than 20k ago and the tick was a bit quiter for about 500 miles but then it went back to normal, a consistent little thing it is

vitaminchik

Seasoned Expediter
The ticking is air in steering system, pump, gearbox. Purge the steering system of the air, and it will go away. Gearboxes, many have a screw cap in upper part of the gearbox, on the side, somewhere close to steering column. Unscrew the cap, use suitable thread barb, connect vinyl tubing to the barb, the other end of the tubing put in the top off reservoir. This creates loop. Start the truck, and fluid will circulate through tubing, and into the top off reservoir, this will purge any air, and the ticking will end. I experienced all this ticking thing in the steering, and this was the fix, purge the air from steering system. Why the air causes ticking?
Air causes CAVITATION, and this is why ticking.

I experienced this on GMC T7500 GVWR 33000 lbs, class 7 truck, it has wabco airbrake compressor, steering pump attaches to the compressor and is gear driven set up