Cat C-10

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Ok. The new search feature unfortunately doesn't work real well with short search terms, so here I am. Someone give me the skinny on the C-10. The good, bad, and the ugly.

How is the fuel mileage for the conservative driver?

Ease of repair?

Quality and quantity of Cat mechanics?

$$$ for a rebuild?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
The Cat C-10 is no longer in production as ar as I can tell.

Repairs and parts should not be a problem.

Fuel mileage can't be determined without knowing the application i.e. transmission,gear ratio's,etc.

Cat mechanics are probably no worse or better than you would find at any other major brand dealership.

Cat dealerships cover the entire country.

I don't know what it would cost to have one rebuilt,but from what I've read,Cat's are pricey to rebuild. DD.

Last edited:
R

riverrat

mine is a 2000 c-10 ready to turn over 800,000 miles, doesn't use a drop of oil, hooked up to a 10speed autoshift,can't remember the gear ratio off hand but mph at 60 mph is ticks over at 1400 rpm and gets a tad over or under 10 mpg depending on the time of year, Cats ARE pricy to rebuild my last truck had a 3126 that I had to rebuild twice but the 3126 really wasn't intended to do what we do with them and the c-10 is a "real" motor for these trucks so i hope to get to 1.2 mil before any major work needs done.

Rollinout2

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I bought a 2000 Cent class expediter with 700,000 miles
always had a gen set
c-10 335hp 3:55 rears 10sp autoshift
tandem, liftgate unit, 20,000lb payload
currently at 925,000 miles,
it doesn't leak,burn or consume oil AT ALL
p/m every 12,000 miles with 1 gal of lucas
roll hard when needed,mostly posted limits
consistantly 10-11mph on IFTA's
love it so much, i'll prob repaint and install a new lift gate
the Cat guys in chicago believe i'll see 1.4 mil before we consider a rebuild. At 1 mil we will adjust the valves and work from there.
I guess I strongly recomend the Cat c-10