CAT 3116 BLACK SMOKE

FAST JIMMY

Expert Expediter
I am having problems with my GMC with a Cat 3116 engine. It has ran great for many miles.Has only 150,000 on rebuild. I was coming down an exit ramp when it stalled..then it would not restart...after removing air cleaner it ran great..was going to pickup in detroit area and was going to get new filter.Then as I was getting on turnpike the TROUBLE began. It began black smoking and was chugging. As I was trying to move into booth,the truck rolled back as I was trying to keep it running hitting a vehicle right on the rear bumper. So after long paperwork and a trooper I now need to repair the truck..Always maintained so it was surprising..any help would be appreciated. Sorry for long post.
Thanks, Jimmy

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sounds like a Turbo problem. You should never run a Diesel or Gas engine that has fuel injection without the air filter on it. Is it a 3126 Cat?

leymas

Expert Expediter
I have had two turbo's go out on me in the last 9 yrs. two different trucks sound like the same thing. You might want to get it check.

FAST JIMMY

Expert Expediter
It is a CAT 3116. The oil level in the engine was fine. Plus there were no signs of oil in pipe which is sure sign of bad turbo. Today I have changed all filters checked cool air pipes and checked fuel and lines. Still chugging and heavy smoke..I even pulled the valve cover off to check all valves and be sure all were moving. All was fine. The local shop is also puzzled.I will have to figure out where to take it.Now that it is Saturday, who knows..
Jimmy

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
Take it to CAT and have them run a computer check, could be a diode,a turbo,or bad injecters. This too expensive to diagnosis by anybody but CAT
THANKS GOOD LUCK

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
3116 is a mechanical engine. Sounds like fuel problem to me. Could be a bad injector. But my guess is fuel injection pump problem.