carriers without a 5 year or less requirement

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
I was wondering if anyone knows of any decent carriers that will take on a cargo van that is more than 5 years old. I've been finding some great deals on older cargo vans with really low miles. It would seem to me that they would be more concerned about miles and condition of the van.

For example, I can find a heavier duty extended ford or chevy van with low miles for less than I can find a new lighter weight standard van with higher miles.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There are always exceptions to the rules.

FedEx makes exceptions

Panther makes exceptions

E-1 makes exceptions

Load One I think said they make exceptions

and the list goes on.....

moose

Veteran Expediter
For example, I can find a heavier duty extended ford or chevy van with low miles for less than I can find a new lighter weight standard van with higher miles.

The younger generation goe's to the gym more often ,

let EO do the work for you .
go & fill out the online application ,
& click on the send all option ,
for all the carriers that advertise here .
have a nice weekend,& be next to your phone comes Mon. morning.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
In case you haven't figured it out,the reason for the 5 year limit.Most commercial vehicles start having mechanical problems in their 4th year.By the 5th year, they become major problems.If your on a critical load,and break down,this could cause a customer to have to shut their plant down,costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Now if you go out and buy a 5 year old truck,you could be buying another persons headache.Even though the payment may be less,the upkeep will be more,and the more downtime you have,the less productive you are to the company your trying to sign on with.Is buying that older truck really worth it.If you can't afford the newer truck,then you really can't afford the older one either.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My van is 6 years old and it is not breaking down. Age has nothing to do with maintenance. Hve you seen how old the roadway trucks are? They keep on replacing parts, rebuilding engines, transmissions, and keep the paint jobs up to snuff, and they have no problems. The year "or shell" of a commercial vehicle should have no bearing on how well it has been maintained or rebuilt. New parts are new parts. That's just my 2 cents.

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
I understand the reasoning, but as I stated I have found some older vans with very low miles. For example, it would seem to me that a 2003 E350 with 40,000 miles would be in better shape than a 2007 E250 with 140,000 miles.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
My van is 6 years old and it is not breaking down. Age has nothing to do with maintenance. Hve you seen how old the roadway trucks are? They keep on replacing parts, rebuilding engines, transmissions, and keep the paint jobs up to snuff, and they have no problems. The year "or shell" of a commercial vehicle should have no bearing on how well it has been maintained or rebuilt. New parts are new parts. That's just my 2 cents.

And when your six year old van does start breaking down, and you sell it for real cheap, someone will be buying your headache.

eb

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
In case you haven't figured it out,the reason for the 5 year limit.Most commercial vehicles start having mechanical problems in their 4th year.By the 5th year, they become major problems.If your on a critical load,and break down,this could cause a customer to have to shut their plant down,costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Now if you go out and buy a 5 year old truck,you could be buying another persons headache.Even though the payment may be less,the upkeep will be more,and the more downtime you have,the less productive you are to the company your trying to sign on with.Is buying that older truck really worth it.If you can't afford the newer truck,then you really can't afford the older one either.

what he said. me being the poster boy for not buying used. you have to know when to stop putting money into it and just cut and run. when is it too much money?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I understand the reasoning, but as I stated I have found some older vans with very low miles. For example, it would seem to me that a 2003 E350 with 40,000 miles would be in better shape than a 2007 E250 with 140,000 miles.

Not to mention that it will be quicker to get replacement part at the dealer, or oem parts from another source. When you start putting on lots of miles on such a vehicle, you will be glad.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Its all about requiting. When a carrier can find all the trucks they need, there is no reason to take a chance on the older trucks.

The good news is that in todays economy, trucks are harder to buy and finance. This creates the opportunity for the older trucks.

The bad news is that vans still seem to be easy enough to sign. C,D,E trucks are an entirely different matter.

Every carrier sets their own requirements, none of which are carved in stone.

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks everyone,

I looked at a van today that may make this a moot point. It's a 2007 E-250 Super Duty with 90k on it. Very well maintained and new tires. I think I'm in love, lol! It's around $10k and that seems pretty well below the prices I'm seeing on the net.

guido4475

Not a Member

I totally disagree with you. I bought my 2003 Ford van from ryder for $4,995,(blue-book value was $11,500) and have not had one single breakdown yet.Not to brag, but it looks better than most 2007's I see out here, no rust, and it shines like new.The only thing that kinda put me out of service was a faulty gas-pedal assembly causing it to stumble upon acceleration because of a poor contact in the sensor.86,000 miles now since I bought it and it still is running strong, no oil usage, no leaks, and no signs of slowing down.If a vehicle keeps breaking down, it tells me that someone doesnt know how to do preventative maintenance too well.It all depends on how a person takes care of a vehicle as to how it is going to treat you.Since 1989, I have only had 2 towable and total breakdowns, one was with a 2-month old International in 1995 that had the water pump crack in half, the other the center shaft in the transmission shattered in a sterling with 975,000 miles on it.I'll take a good looking, well taken care of truck anyday over a new one. What is the difference, anyway? they still do the same thing.Only there is a payment on something that has no warranty after 36,000 miles, but the payment remains, plus possible repairs.I think the main reason alot of the bigger carriers want us to have a newer vehicle is so we will accept crap loads out of desperation because of the truck payment, unlike having the freedom of being more selective because of no truck payment.Think about it.

guido4475

Not a Member
Thanks everyone,

I looked at a van today that may make this a moot point. It's a 2007 E-250 Super Duty with 90k on it. Very well maintained and new tires. I think I'm in love, lol! It's around $10k and that seems pretty well below the prices I'm seeing on the net.

Why go with a 250 for expediting? It is kinda like expecting a boy to do a mans job. A 350 is not that much more expensive in cost or parts, but gives you so much more hauling capacity.I could never understand why some one would buy a short wheelbase vehicle for this business, either.Doesnt make any sense.Why limit yourself ?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes and, we still have a 1992 4700 Farmall running great, an making plenty money. Not afraid to head for the coast any day with it. All ya gotta do is a systematic maint program an you'll be home free for many years AFTER it's paid for.

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Why go with a 250 for expediting? It is kinda like expecting a boy to do a mans job. A 350 is not that much more expensive in cost or parts, but gives you so much more hauling capacity.I could never understand why some one would buy a short wheelbase vehicle for this business, either.Doesnt make any sense.Why limit yourself ?

Even being a Super Duty? It's rated to haul nearly 2 ton. I can understand not going with the normal 250 as it's only rated for around 1 ton. I agree, I would like to find an extended but just haven't had any luck finding one in good shape yet.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks everyone,

I'd go with the vehicle that was older but only had 40K on the power train. Yeah it maybe older but alternators and plugs and wires are cheaper then motors and transmissions. You are going to have expenses in this business, but the foundation of the vehicle is most important IMO. Low miles is what I go for and you can get bargans on older vans versus newer ones that have been driven harder in a short amount of time. I take the grandpa vans any day!

guido4475

Not a Member
Even being a Super Duty? It's rated to haul nearly 2 ton. I can understand not going with the normal 250 as it's only rated for around 1 ton. I agree, I would like to find an extended but just haven't had any luck finding one in good shape yet.

No it wont haul or is rated to haul 4,000 pounds. Re-check youre resources.There is no difference between a super-duty van and a e-250. It was just somthing Ford did to make their vehicle sound more manly, or appeal to the market more.My sources on this? a close freind who is a 30 year employee of Ford .Go ahead and put 4 k in that swb 250 or 250 super duty. You will be in for a rude awakening.Better yet, rent one from budget or someone and try it.