Carriers choice

Ecotech2006

Seasoned Expediter
I just got a disturbing call that wrecked my whole outlook of getting into expediting, I was told by Landstar " they can not qualify me at this time" what is up with them? I have a class A cdl w/hazmat no violations, no criminal record ever, I have about 3 years experience driving T/T and straight trucks. I wasted all that time getting my DOT phy. renewed and spent all the time filling out the application.... What do they do? Can I expect the same answer everywhere else?:-(

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
EcoTech2006;

Surely there must be some reason that you were denied a position with Landstar at this time.

It could be one of many reasons, some of which may have nothing to do with your background or work history, such as positions being filled. Did they mention keeping you on a list for when positions become available? I've hired drivers in the past that have honestly informed me that they are on a list for Landstar, and if a position comes available there, that they would be leaving our company. Landstar is a good company.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Ecotech2006

Seasoned Expediter
well I have a position with a truck owner, he is in the process of getting the truck signed on. Could it be because of the owner not qualifing? Looks like now he is goingto sign the truck up with Express 1 and go with me, he doesn't have enough experience as a driver to be a truck owner, which makes no sense. He won't be driving it, I will, he just owns it.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
I have had one of their recruiters tell me there are exceptions to their experience requirements. Just have to get approval.

Ecotech2006

Seasoned Expediter
Won't count? what is the difference? We drive the truck, the same truck the owner wants to lease on.. He will be driving with me now. What is up with Landstar? the recruiter won't return phone calls and will not tell why. The truck owner called them and all he got was, and I quote..."The driver knows what the problem is, they usually know." Well I don't know and this makes me look pretty bad to a potential employeer to hear an answer like that. They have 1 more chance today to call me back if not I will tell the world about this and fill in the names here

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Ecotech2006 (Jim);

You do have a right to see information that previous employers have provided to your prospective employer (trucking company). It is a DOT Regulation. This regulation is located in 49CFR 391.23(i)(1).

Below is a form that I provide to applicants should they wish to view the information supplied by their previous employers as mandated by the regulation mentioned above:

Instructions for Driver / Applicants to Request to Review Information Provided by Previous Employers.

1). A written request must be made to Premium Transportation Logistics, LLC., Attention: John Mueller at P.O. Box 503, Toledo, OH 43697, within 30 days after your date of hire, or within 30 days after the date of denial for employment or contracting to Premium Transportation Logistics LLC was denied.

2). Premium Transportation Logistics LLC will provide to you, the applicant, within 5 business days after your request is received (or within 5 days after the information is received from your previous employers), the information provided to Premium Transportation Logistics LLC from your previous employers.

3). You will have 30 days to personnally pick up your information from Premium Transportation Logistics.

4). If you wish to contest the information your previous employer(s) provided, you must contact the previous employer and either request the correction or submit a rebuttal.

In response to a request for correction, the previous employer must either submit corrected information to the prospective employer (Premium Transportation Logistics) or notify the driver within 15 days that it does not agree with his/her request. You (the driver) can then submit a rebuttal.

Within 5 days of receiving a rebuttal, the previous employer must send a copy to the prospective employer (Premium Transportation Logistics) and add the rebuttal to the driver's file, to be sent to future investigating employers.

5). Drivers can report to the FMCSA any previous employers who refuse to correct erroneous information or include the driver's rebuttal in information sent to other employers.

Keep in mind that this is only if you are denied a position due to information provided by your previous employers. If you have been denied a position because of having numerous employers (job jumping) then this regulation does not apply. Employers do have the right to deny anyone a position based on their company policies.

You may have also been denied a position because of driving record (MVR), criminal record, or some other "red flag". Each application I view is different, with different circumstances. You could also be denied becuse of location. I know you're thinking "what does that matter?" but it does when you are thinking about getting loads to get a driver out from, and back to, home.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to post additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter

cadillack

Expert Expediter
We had the same thing happen to us in November 06. We even had interim government clearance. And we still couldn't qualify with Landstar. Tried talking with the supervisors and they all told me the same thing THE OVER ALL PICTURE DID NOT LOOK GOOD.... OOOKAY, WE have secret clearance, good driving & work history Just WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO QUALIFY ???? They said we could apply again in 6 months. But refused to tell us why we didn't qualify.
:-(

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
But then a while back, there was a H/W team that had no experience that was signed on with them. Go figure.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>I just got a disturbing call that wrecked my whole outlook
>of getting into expediting, I was told by Landstar " they
>can not qualify me at this time" what is up with them? I
>have a class A cdl w/hazmat no violations, no criminal
>record ever, I have about 3 years experience driving T/T and
>straight trucks. I wasted all that time getting my DOT phy.
>renewed and spent all the time filling out the
>application.... What do they do? Can I expect the same
>answer everywhere else?:-(
you probably dont have years over road expeience,this is for insurance.if you have deploma from truck driging schoo thats equal to 6 months