Cargo Vans which do you prefer? Ford/Chevy/Dodge?

Falligator

Expert Expediter
As an o/o I bought my 2007 Ford E350 Extended in February 07. I have driven the Chevy Express 2500 and 3500 for another owner, but I haven't driven any dodge vans. My current van has 113,000 miles on it and the only problem that I have noticed is that it seems like it shimmies in the back (in little wind) and sometimes no wind, and it also takes the bumps pretty hard. When I drove the Chevy Express 2500 I didn't have a problem w/ this however, I did have a front right wheel hub go out. 450$ charged but to the owner. The 3500 didn't have any problems at all. Does the van shimmeing and taking bumps hard have anything to do with the wheel base being further under the van or could this be a mechanical problem. Also which van would ya'll prefer? Thanks
ShawnF

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Shawn,

My Father and I operate a small two Cargo Van Expedite Operation based outside of Chicago,IL. He has a '98 Ford E-150 and I have a '97 Dodge B2500.
The ford has 257,000 miles, and the shimmying you refer to could be a bearing problem. I know becasue last week on a trip to Milwaukee we had similar problems. Upon returning to home, we took the van to our mechanic, and it was determined the rear bearings were bad.
The dodge has 187,000 miles. Since having the van, I've had no major problems. Upon buying the van I did have the rear bearings replaced. For small parcels, I use our back up van, 1995 Chevy 2500 conversion van.

I used to drive for a guy out of New Lenox who gave me a 2004 Chevy Express 2500 cargo van.

Ok now the comparisons of all: I like the conversion van for it's driver comforts but remember because of all the seating, this is used only when I'd use a car for small parcels, which I get frequently as one of my accounts I run does emergency medical parts deliveries to hopsitals. the leg room is not great but I have cruise control for comfort so I can stretch my legs. The ford has great leg room and and good on gas mileage. I like the comfort and it drives great on the road. The dodge, is tight on leg room but drives nice. Captain chairs do not recline as they do in the chevy or ford. sits higher than the ford and the rear doors width are smaller than that of the ford and chevy.

The 2004 chevy I ran was nice lots of leg room and nice width rear doors for loading.

But all of this is strictly my own opinion. Only you yourself knows what vehicle is right for you. Some of us have our preferences. I'm flexible to all three. For long runs a newer design Chevy is preferable, followed by the Ford and the Dodge. *Now if you're question on Dodge was referring to the sprinter..........Sorry friend I can't help you there! But keep in mind one question most vans I see for sale on here are diesel. I run gas and right now with gas prices prefer gas over diesel. As long as you keep a moderate speed (posted or 5 over) your mileage should be comparable to that of diesel.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dodge is the least desirable van, as far as freight hauling, due to the rear door height limit. The others have a 48" vertical opening, where the Dodge has just 46", due to latches top & bottom. This can be made 47" by removing the bottom latch, (which will probably get knocked off anyhow, by freight being dropped on it), but if the load requires a 48" opening, it won't fit in a Dodge.

Reactions: 1 person

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
As cheri indicated, the old Doge is a thing of the past and not a particulary good expediter van because of the common 4' x 4' x 4' pallets that we haul. The new Dodge Sprinter is ideal for the same size pallets but you must remain cognizant of the 2007/08 weight capacities to ensure that your shipper or carrier's requirements are safely met.\

I have owned and operated two Ford E-350 diesel vans and two Chevrolet 3500 gasoline vans. Each is great for this kind of work. I prefer the Chevrolets that I have owned for the two following reasons. The gasser has been cheaper to operate and maintain than a diesel. The chevrolet is a more stable ride due to the longer wheel base than the Ford, The Chev and Ford each have comparable cargo capacities.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
this is my second sprinter and this is dodge one, 14' of cargo space hold 4 pallet's down the middle, is 74'' high, roller lose 2'' of height, thru the wheel well's is 51'' wide, and 12'' longer than my 03, 07 has a v6 diesel in it , get's 21-24 miles per gal
so far have double my income , with the extra 12'' high's and 12'' longer
biggest load to date was 12 pallets broken down and put on one box at a time
they couldn't belive it, 851 boxes, took 2 hours to load and 71/2 hours to unload
as the it had to be broken by po, serial no, and style
and they paid for that big time
love the sprinter and my roller's

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Chevy:
  • Largest market share.
  • Competively priced.
  • More service locations nationwide.
  • More creature comforts.
  • Options that make driving safer and more efficient.
PS. If Toyota decides to make their Hi-Ace expediter ready, the Sprinter will die, and I will buy! Until that happens it looks like I stay with GM.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
the only problem that I have noticed is that it seems like it shimmies in the back (in little wind) and sometimes no wind, and it also takes the bumps pretty hard ............ Does the van shimmeing and taking bumps hard have anything to do with the wheel base being further under the van or could this be a mechanical problem.
Short answer - yes it could be a mechanical problem.

Long answer: Having a vehicle with a longer wheelbase (distance between front and rear axles or wheels) should have absolutely nothing to do with what you are describing (the shimmying or harsh ride) - a vehicle with a longer wheelbase will ride smoother than one with a shorter wheelbase, all else being equal (same springs, shocks, etc.) Take a ride in a Jeep CJ7 or CJ5 and you will see :D

The shimmying could be anything from a tire out of balance, to a bad carrier (driveshaft support) bearing, problems in the differential (rearend), loose suspension components and possibly a whole host of other things.

As for the harsh ride, this is likely due to one or more of several things: over-inflated tires, bad or poor quality shock absorbers (historically Detroit has been notorious for putting poor quality shocks on as original equipment. On the otherhand my wife's 2000 VW Passat still has the original struts ... with almost 170K miles) and finally the springs.

Leaf or coil springs should be matched to the vehicle they are on - and the expected load they are going to carry - put on too heavy a spring and the vehicle will ride harsh - and possibly ride better when loaded with a significant amount of weight. Had friend with a Chev or Ford cube van - this thing had rear springs on it that probably should have been on a semi-tractor - rode like a hard tail Harley. Way overkill and gave a horrific ride :mad:

Ideally, the springs would be a "progressive-rate" spring - this allows more flex when the vehicle is unloaded and more stiffness (to compensate for the additional load) when loaded. The Sprinter comes with progressive rate springs from the factory, although it is somewhat harsh unloaded. (Stock shocks and struts seem to be el-cheapos though)

Another way to handle the quality of ride issue for a leaf spring vehicle is to put on "overload" or "helper" springs. These are an additional leaf that only becomes "active" when the remainder of the spring pack is deflected (bent) far enough when under load to allow it to contact the "overload" or "helper" spring. For vehicles with a coil spring suspension Moog makes a coil spring called "Cargo Coils" that is progessively wound - providing additional stiffness when a load is placed on them - but a more normal ride when unloaded.

Additionally springs do wear out and will lose some of their flex over time, and become collapsed. A spring shop (Stuver Spring in Akron) can re-arc the individual leafs in a leaf spring pack - although I have never been a big fan of this because I think once the metal has been fatigued enough to require re-arc'ing that the subsequent service life of the re-arc'ed spring is less than new metal - but it's sure better than running on collapsed springs.

You would be well- advised to have the shimmying checked out - it is a symptom of a problem - one that could be significantly more expensive to fix if neglected. :cool:

Last edited:

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Is your F350 gas or diesel?
My E350 is gas...and it doesn't get bad gas mileage. i think i may have solved the shimmying problem b/c when the tires were rotated at walmart they failed to adjust the tire pressure accordingly causing my van to take bumps and shimmy. I made the proper adjustments and so far it's been fine.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I prefer the long wheelbase GM vans for the ride, handling and weight distribution.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I am with Moot and the Rev, I am a GM man on my second one now, the only other one I would even look at would be if toyo brought the High Ace over here. I have never had a toyota fail me yet:D:D or a honda for that fact:p

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The Sprinter is actually a Mercedes and since Daimler sold Chrysler I'd say Sprinter may be going back to being sold and serviced only by Freightliner .
As far as Ford goes there will be no diesel vans once the supply of 6.0 diesels is used up . Ford will not make the new 6.4 diesel available in any E-Series