Canada cargo van with high ceiling

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
Hi everyone,

does anyone know if high ceiling (extended between 1-2 feet)on a chevy cargo van can effect on fuel mileage?
and do you know if there's any diffrence between chevy express and GM savana?
thank you so much
Rey

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Anything on any vehicle which can block air, such as an extended roof will decrease fuel mileage. Putting crome stacks on a tractor will decrease mileage as an example.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
The extended height roof line will probably affect fuel economy as there is more to push through the air. It should not make a huge difference. Only problem is of course the doors don't go up to the top unlike the Sprinters.

No there is no difference between GMC and Chevy. Both built on the same assembly line utilizing the same components except those for brand identification. Same motors, transmissions etc. Note that the extended roof would reduce cargo capacity as there is extra body weight.
Rob

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The extended height roof line will probably affect fuel economy as there is more to push through the air. It should not make a huge difference. Only problem is of course the doors don't go up to the top unlike the Sprinters.

No there is no difference between GMC and Chevy. Both built on the same assembly line utilizing the same components except those for brand identification. Same motors, transmissions etc. Note that the extended roof would reduce cargo capacity as there is extra body weight.
Rob

To add: a GM extended with a gas engine can carry almost 4,000lbs...even with a raise roof and extended doors...it can carry more weight then a Sprinter...And taking into consideration the new Sprinters only getting 20 mpg and the gas GM getting 15-18...the advantage goes to the GM.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
http://www.visionmanufacturingltd.com/

if you had one of these you could at least get the taller doors.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
you can find a nice, well maintained, already transformed into an expediter in the classifieds of eo. its a chevy not a gmc. there is also a nice gmc in the over 10k range available.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You could build a sleeper in the box, build a nice bulkhead and still have room for two skids

guido4475

Not a Member
you can get it wider but then you have the dually rear
holds more weight though

What, a Ford cargo van that is wider? With dual rear wheels? I think you are thinking of a cube/box truck, which would be over 10,000 gvw, and use more fuel.

As far as a ford with a high top is concerned, it can be done.One of my first jobs was converting new vans for the handicapped,which included cutting the entire roof off, and installing a fiberglass roof, about 1.5-2 ft higher than the original roof, and extending the back door height to match that also. I have seen a Ford cargo van expeditor set up like this.

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
You could build a sleeper in the box, build a nice bulkhead and still have room for two skids

instead then building a sleeper i'm getting a camper air bed and I'm going to divide the cargo are just by a thick curtain , to be able to open it and close it easier, and will put across couple of safety straps.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
What, a Ford cargo van that is wider? With dual rear wheels? I think you are thinking of a cube/box truck, which would be over 10,000 gvw, and use more fuel.

As far as a ford with a high top is concerned, it can be done.One of my first jobs was converting new vans for the handicapped,which included cutting the entire roof off, and installing a fiberglass roof, about 1.5-2 ft higher than the original roof, and extending the back door height to match that also. I have seen a Ford cargo van expeditor set up like this.

Yeah, I was thinking of the cube vans the smaller ones aren't much wider than a regular cargo and have single rears.
You can get dually rear on a sprinter though

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
instead then building a sleeper i'm getting a camper air bed and I'm going to divide the cargo are just by a thick curtain , to be able to open it and close it easier, and will put across couple of safety straps.

What about a moveable plywood wall attached to the e-tracks
Just an Idea

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
How do I build that, do you have any photo of it done?

Thanks man
No I haven't seen it, was just thinking it LOL
Something ali\ong the lines of a load bar, you might have to cut it down to fit a cargo van, just attach it to a board cut to size and you have yourself a moveable wall
Hmmmm maybe I should patent this LOL
Also if you mount the board one the backside of the bars you have the protection of the bar in addition to the board
I'm talking about the aluminum load bars that go into the e-channels, not the compression bars

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some already have a moveable wall to allow for hazmat....when on a layover the wall just slips out and lays flat as part of the floor....when ya need a wall just flip it up into the e-track brackets and voila a bulkhead....good to go...:D