Cargo van per mile

goby42

Active Expediter
I am seriously considering expediting and have the opportunity to drive a cargo van for someone and will be doing a 60/40 split I realize the fuel surcharge will vary. Can anyone give me an idea what the average rate per mile will be? Thanks goby42

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you were seriously considering expediting you wouldn't be seriously considering splitting cargo van revenue with anyone. But be that as it may, the average rate for a cargo van is about 90 cents a mile, FSC included. After splits and expenses you'll get about 30 cents of that.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
You will be money ahead if you buy your own van.8 years old or newer. They tend to run 4-8 grand.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I've often considered that myself, but running in a van is a serious 'hard' life. I think being crammmed in a 96' sleeper is horrible, I think I would seriously go nuts in a van with NO sleeper, you guys who do it all I can say is 'wow' you deserve your money.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I am the proud owner of a 60-inch sleeper, with a 30-inch permanent bunk and a 30-inch living room. :D

Actually, when you figure in all the space from the dash to the rear of the bunk, it's about 96-inches. A desk where the passenger seat used to be serves as a desktop for computer, television and assorted junk, but also as mounting for QC and CB, a storage bin, and shelves for more assorted junk, powered USB ports, two external hard drives, satellite TV receiver box and camera. It's also the dining table.

In the multi-purpose living room there's a Microfridge with freezer, microwave, and an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier on top. The living room doubles as a changing room, stretching center, and occasionally the latrine. In the bedroom under the bunk I have ample storage for clothes and a house battery bank.

It's not so bad. :D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
gody42 wrote:

Can anyone give me an idea what the average rate per mile will be? Thanks goby42

I'd say it would be somewhere between "starve and go broke"...spliting the income from a CV 3 ways just isn't realistic in the traditional 60/40 split... I have a driver in my CV and he does ok in the short term because I am not taking the normal split and in a short time he will own the van,,so there is a advantage in it for him over the normal situation...but don't look to make a living on a normal 60/40 split for very long...

As for the room of or in a sleeper, I am with Turtle, I have close to 9 ft of useable living space and can still handle 2 skids...and i do live quite comfortable in the Cargo Max and even when I need to haul 3 or more skids(stacked to get more then 3) I do do fine for that time knowing it will be a straight through run and i can put the house back together and rest just fine...

Now that being said, with the influx of newbies coming in with less then enough cash flow and a bare bones CV and not having done enough research on what this lifestyle is about, I can't see most of them making it more then 3-6 months....especially if they are driving someone elses van....well unless they have a owner who isn't trying to make a killing of the van....

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Almost done with mine,And cant wait, but it will be done ending up in a full 12' sleeper when done,empty.But in the event of a 2 skid load, I'll have the full width bed behind the seats,Which does raise up in the event of a 3 skid load.A 1 skid load will allow me to have the side mount drop down bed also.Trying to keep this all lightweight, within reason.The spare tire, I relocated to the underneath using a Ford van spare tire cable mount from a junkyard for $15.00.It was inside the van, in the cargo area, taking up space.It was a different transition,coming from a truck that had a bathroom and a shower in the sleeper, but selling that was my choice,But this van life, I wouldnt trade it for the world.

Reactions: intransit

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You will be money ahead if you buy your own van.8 years old or newer. They tend to run 4-8 grand.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

One successful van o/o I know with FedEx told me that in 21 years he had never paid more than $9000 for his van. He has done well and does not have any payments. Makes sense to me.

guido4475

Not a Member
Yup.Try to keep the cost per mile as low as possible, the cost of sitting, waiting for a load as low as possible.Just maintain the van the best you possibly can, always checking things, to see and prevent any future breakdowns.Keep it clean and looking as new as possible, and many companies will not have an issue with the age.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
One successful van o/o I know with FedEx told me that in 21 years he had never paid more than $9000 for his van. He has done well and does not have any payments. Makes sense to me.

The best vans/trucks I bout are..

1996 E350 Diesel. Bought on e-bay for 3000. Put a set of glow plugs in it and got 400,000 miles out of it with no major mechanical issues then it popped a head gasket. Put it back on ebay and got 1400 back out of it.

1997 Ford Ranger. 80,000 miles 600 bucks. set of tires and a muffler/tailpipe. Sold for 900 when it was replaced.

2002 Express 30,000 miles so far. 500 bucks. Came with new tires. It did just take me for a transmission but that's ok. Still on the road making me money.

BTW, these 3 take me back to 2005 for work trucks. If your not mechanically inclined I don't suggest going ubber cheap on a truck because the "cheap" can sometimes eat you alive in repairs.

All the while a 78 G10 has been sitting, always ready, to back me up. it's rare I need it.