Cargo Van Owner Operators - Broker

Smithy69

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Ok, so leasing on to a company really isn't going to work for me because I like options and just dealing with one company isn't going to work! I found somewhat reasonable insurance for $1M/$100K to use my own DOT/MC number.

What's the best freight broker with reasonable rates/split to get with that will keep me moving and what's the best free or cost friendly load boards to use?

Thank you in advance.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You want to make sure your insurance covers specifically expedite.

There are no expedite load boards, not really. 99% of expedite loads are booked via private bid by phone call or email, or just direct-booked by the customer or a 3pl.

Also, it's been shown time and time again that, with rare exceptions, working with 2 or 3 brokers doesn't get people more loads or more money than does leasing on with a reputable carrier. That's partly because carriers have access to direct customers, private bidding, and thousands of brokers.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
You want to make sure your insurance covers specifically expedite.

There are no expedite load boards, not really. 99% of expedite loads are booked via private bid by phone call or email, or just direct-booked by the customer or a 3pl.

Also, it's been shown time and time again that, with rare exceptions, working with 2 or 3 brokers doesn't get people more loads or more money than does leasing on with a reputable carrier. That's partly because carriers have access to direct customers, private bidding, and thousands of brokers.
I couldn't agree more. In addition to the high cost of having a " Primary" insurance policy that a proper multi- carrier should have. All to haul usually cheaper freight....because let's face it, loads on bid boards usually are, ( not all the time), junk loads that the bigger companies can't get rid of, so they put those scraps out for the multi carriers to gobble up.

Give me the peace of mind, security, and support and cost saving benefits not to mention the higher rates from a bigger carrier any day.

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

Smithy69

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone! Now I wish I had started off with a straight truck instead of a cargo van. I'm currently with Panther, outside of the mishaps with paperwork, they have been out, just didn't like the fact that one person lied about the service areas. After speaking with two dispatchers they really don't service the East Coast and I asked that from the jump.

Now, I have called atleast 5 companies and yes I see everyone hangs in the Midwest but come on are you telling me FEDEX/Amazon/UPS has the East Coast and South locked down and no other companies are delivering to the warehouses in those regions.

I guess I will have to deal with it until I pay off this van and get the straight truck!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Expedite is different than regular trucking. Expedite is mostly manufacturing, which is mostly the Midwest. There is quite a bit of expedite in the northeast, roughly Baltimore north to New England. But in the South there's just not that much manufacturing. Nobody is gonna expedite a box of oranges out of Florida for $1.50 a mile when they can put it on a regular truck for 25 cents a mile.

Smithy69

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Expedite is different than regular trucking. Expedite is mostly manufacturing, which is mostly the Midwest. There is quite a bit of expedite in the northeast, roughly Baltimore north to New England. But in the South there's just not that much manufacturing. Nobody is gonna expedite a box of oranges out of Florida for $1.50 a mile when they can put it on a regular truck for 25 cents a mile.
That's true!

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone! Now I wish I had started off with a straight truck instead of a cargo van. I'm currently with Panther, outside of the mishaps with paperwork, they have been out, just didn't like the fact that one person lied about the service areas. After speaking with two dispatchers they really don't service the East Coast and I asked that from the jump.

Now, I have called atleast 5 companies and yes I see everyone hangs in the Midwest but come on are you telling me FEDEX/Amazon/UPS has the East Coast and South locked down and no other companies are delivering to the warehouses in those regions.

I guess I will have to deal with it until I pay off this van and get the straight truck!
Why would you want to give up the freedom of a van for a straight truck, to be controlled by the rules, regulations, a clock, elds??..

Reactions: danthewolf00

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Why would you want to give up the freedom of a van for a straight truck, to be controlled by the rules, regulations, a clock, elds??..
I've done the van thing for 11 years and made very good money. Then everybody and their brothers decided to buy a van and go get rich. I've seen the rates over the years creeping down and the amount of van loads going down also. I loved freedom and what not, but the time spent on the road compared with the money made was not worth it any more. Old rates, totally worth it.

Then in 2016 I moved up to a straight truck. Since the investment is a little higher (CDL, price of equipment) not everybody is flocking here. I work half as much as in the van, make more money, more time home with the family, and I'm not interested in driving 1000 miles straight through. I like driving my 8 to 10 hours and then going to sleep. I also have more room to be able to cook in the truck.
I wish I would have made the switch a lot earlier, but I still hoped for years that the van freight would improve.

Btw, I don't know if it was you, or someone else, but I read they paid $65k for a new van. Not in a million years would I pay that much for a van and then run at the rates the majority of you are running at. Very few are making good money in a van these days.

I bought 2 straight trucks and I paid for both of them combined less than what that van cost. I bought the first one for $7k to test the waters. If it didn't work, I wouldn't be out much money. Ran it for 3 years and upgraded to a $35k truck. I gave the old truck to my dad and he is still running it today.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
65k for a van in these days is absolutely crazy in my opinion. The current van that I am driving for 10 years now, has 867,000 miles on it that has only broke down 4 times so far. I paid $8,900 for it 10 years ago and paid it off in 6 months. I'm about ready to retire it and put the replacement on the road. The van rates that I run for are alot higher than most. I am very content where I am at, and what I net. I've been doing this since '89, and wish I would of done the van thing right from the beginning. Everyone has their preferences. Yes, this van segment is oversaturated , and with many who think that 70-80 cpm is acceptable..smh...I hope it works for them.