Cargo Van/Own Authority Start Up

USBOSExp

Active Expediter
Hello All!

I have a cargo van and am in the process of obtaining my own authority. Can anyone direct me to some good load boards that provide an opportunity for LTLs... I am looking to make a living out of this and am very committed to making this business a success. I understand that when starting out, it is difficult to get buy in from brokers/shippers. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I applied for my MC# last night and within minutes I begin receiving calls from various states trying to help me with the BOC-3 form. The calls were very unprofessional and pushy. The conversations I had did not send a legit vibe at all. Does anyone know a reputable company that can help me with process agents?

Thanks in advance!!!!

US BOS Expedite, LLC

paullud

Veteran Expediter
How much experience do you have? I drive a TT and use brokers regularly to obtain loads, just like anything else there are good ones and ones to avoid. Will you be using a factoring company to run credit checks on customers or do it yourself?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Hello All!

I have a cargo van and am in the process of obtaining my own authority. Can anyone direct me to some good load boards that provide an opportunity for LTLs... I am looking to make a living out of this and am very committed to making this business a success. I understand that when starting out, it is difficult to get buy in from brokers/shippers. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I applied for my MC# last night and within minutes I begin receiving calls from various states trying to help me with the BOC-3 form. The calls were very unprofessional and pushy. The conversations I had did not send a legit vibe at all. Does anyone know a reputable company that can help me with process agents?

Thanks in advance!!!!

US BOS Expedite, LLC

Welcome to EO!

Why would you want to use a load board or a broker that "may" - again "may" pay .25 cents - .50 cents per mile?

That is a real tough way to start in this industry.

I would suggest leasing with a reputable carrier first. Learn how it's done.

Remember, with a broker you "may" be paid in 15-120 days. If you can float that kind of overhead for that length of time that is amazing for a new person to the industry.

USBOSExp

Active Expediter
I have about 8+ years of experience driving a cargo van for a delivery service, never under my own authority however.

I plan on using a factoring company for invoices but I understand they have an expectation on total monthly invoices and I just don't know what that's going to look like starting out...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Trying to enter this industry with your own authority and trying to look for loads, rather than learning the industry first and already knowing where freight comes from before getting your own authority, is the most risky way to get into expediting. There are no expedite load boards with tons of loads just waiting to be picked over, especially for cargo vans. This industry is hard enough without digging a hole to climb out of just to get into it.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Hello All!

Thanks in advance!!!!

US BOS Expedite, LLC

Why are you getting Authority and your own MC#? Don't need it. C/Vans under 10k not regulated. Get with a good carrier till you know what your doing. Call CIS get your insurance. 1million liability, 100k cargo plus your vehicle ins and go to work.

USBOSExp

Active Expediter
The goal is to grow my fleet and have several drivers on the road, I just can't commit to employing these drivers right away. So I figured I'd start solo and build from there!

Any input on the BOC-3 question? Who should I contact for a list of process agents?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The goal is to grow my fleet and have several drivers on the road, I just can't commit to employing these drivers right away. So I figured I'd start solo and build from there!

Any input on the BOC-3 question? Who should I contact for a list of process agents?

If you have never worked in expedite take the paid education and lease to a carrier for at least six months. You will learn about the industry with far less risk.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And all it takes is about 6 months for that goal of being a cargo van fleet owner with lots of and lots of vans out there making easy money being dramatically changed into very different goals.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And all it takes is about 6 months for that goal of being a cargo van fleet owner with lots of and lots of vans out there making easy money being dramatically changed into very different goals.

New goal. Trying not to loose the ONE van I have now ??

Reactions: MaxWellSmart

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Survival comes to mind. It's not as easy as it looks, trust everybody here on this.

It's hard enough when you've got somebody in back of you. When you're on your own and you've been sitting awhile, things can get mighty bleak. Your choices-- to remain sitting where you are, or to deadhead--- totally at your expense because you're a one-man band-- get worse instead of better when business is soft.

(Hmmm... Why do I have this feeling we have a "Shipping Wars" contestant?)

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will never fault someone for having dreams and goals. That said so often people come here seeking advice and those with years of experience submit a certain theme over and over. Sometimes that advice is taken to heart often it falls on deaf ears.

If the op is serious about his goals he would be well served by an open mind. If you want a real chance at success and it truly is a long term goal what is six months of your time learning by leasing to a carrier in anyway going to do anything but help your odds at succeeding.

Reactions: chillrenzo

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been considering a change. Right now, I'm driving my own van, as an IC in a hotshot outfit. I might consider trying another company, but one thing that stalls that idea fast is that my van is a '98. Even if I could put the van into showroom condition, it's still a '98. Companies don't exactly stand in line to sign on guys with 15 year old equipment. So, the idea of driving a van for somebody else is occurring to me. It might allow me to put some money in the bank so I can buy something newer. It's worth some thought, anyway.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
:eek:

Don't want to hurt your feelings but you ain't gonna make it. Your doing research on a forum, common.
Again C/Vans don't need Process Agents and non of that other crap. If you don't believe it and you want a fleet hire a DOT Attorney and save yourself some grief. Why ask if you don't believe it?
Pretty easy to look it up. Under 10K no nodda nothin. If you think you can just start up a company get your own freight and make a bunch of money please start the line at my door, I will be glad to take your money so you don't have to waste so much time down the road. This is a real easy business to learn, make a lot of big bucks. :rolleyes:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I will never fault someone for having dreams and goals. That said so often people come here seeking advice and those with years of experience submit a certain theme over and over. Sometimes that advice is taken to heart often it falls on deaf ears.

If the op is serious about his goals he would be well served by an open mind. If you want a real chance at success and it truly is a long term goal what is six months of your time learning by leasing to a carrier in anyway going to do anything but help your odds at succeeding.

What you say is absolutely true, but unfortunately he doesn't listen he wants process agents and MC numbers. He can go to Land Line and pay them to get it but he doesn't need it. I guess a truck looks good with all those numbers and letters on the door. It will invite all the dot boys to pull him over and ask him what the sam hell he's doing but thats okay.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What you say is absolutely true, but unfortunately he doesn't listen he wants process agents and MC numbers. He can go to Land Line and pay them to get it but he doesn't need it. I guess a truck looks good with all those numbers and letters on the door. It will invite all the dot boys to pull him over and ask him what the sam hell he's doing but thats okay.

Seems a fellow can't win for losing. Elsewhere we have a couple of threads asking about permanent markings on our vans, or the lack thereof. I have magnetic signs displaying the company I drive for, its MC and DOT numbers-- the whole nine yards-- and I have yet to be approached by the DOT. Of course it could happen tomorrow--- not tonight because the van is parked in back of the house, so tomorrow-- but it hasn't happened yet. So, you get asked what you're doing signs or no, it appears to me.

I will agree this guy has the cart before the horse though. A little time spent learning expediting by leasing on with a company won't hurt, might help.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Why are you getting Authority and your own MC#? Don't need it. C/Vans under 10k not regulated. Get with a good carrier till you know what your doing. Call CIS get your insurance. 1million liability, 100k cargo plus your vehicle ins and go to work.

Actually you do need an operating authority. It is an authority for vehicles 10,000# and under and requires $300,000 primary liability and $5,000 cargo. The whole idea behind this is so the feds know you are insured, drop your insurance and they pull your authority. I have had mine since 2006. As far as 1 million liability you dont need that much unless you wanna do that low payin broker or partner carrier crap. Working with shippers is a much better route and pays much better.

fastrod

Expert Expediter

I used Permits plus to help me get started. Good company and you can find them online,permitsplus.com

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BOC-3 service is included free of charge with an OOIDA membership. $45 well spent, IMHO :)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Hello All!

Thanks in advance!!!!

US BOS Expedite, LLC

Well then, seems to be plenty of nay sayers as usual. And, you have to consider your 8 years in the biz prolly exceeds many of experiences they have had. Regardless, there is no mention of what sources you have already for load opportunities, both outbound and inbound and I would agree that if you don't have at least a well paying outbound load.....you don't want to just throw yourself to the wolves. Going thru the whole nine yards of Authority, fileings, etc. is a good idea, so, if you have your ducks in a row, and are good at what you do (steada retaining the employee mentality) and you discover opportunities along the way you are prepared to respond in kind with larger equipment as needed. The majority of the posters and in particular the responders to your question are van contractors......therefor have less windshield time and more typing time than others, that type is perfectly happy it seems, to sit and grovel for freight rather than expend computer and door knocking time to search for freight. IF, you have contacts and load opportunities available outbound to cover your income needs.....then go for it.

BTW, your chosen insurance company should take care of the filings.

Last edited: