Cargo Van Maintenance Costs

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The following is an update from this thread: http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/46492-maintenance-costs-2004-cargo-van.html

Listed below are the costs for maintaining a 2004 Chevrolet 3500, long wheelbase 6.0 V-8 slop bucket, for the first 650,000 miles as it came from the factory. The costs do not include the installation or maintenance of extras such as a bed, insulation, flooring, radios, house batteries etc. It also does not include any towing fees.

Oil, filter and lube: 123 @ $2170. All performed by myself, no labor costs.

Tune-up: 6@ $3288. 1st tune-up included ignition wires from NAPA that were guaranteed for life and replaced for free at following tune-ups. All tune-ups include replacing ignition wires, spark plugs (OEM AC Delco), serpentine and ac belts. 2 differential lube changes were included in tune-ups at 200,000 and 400,000 miles. Other minor repairs, were included as was labor.

Tires: 22 @ $3861 includes alignments.

Batteries: 3 @ $476

Front wheel bearings: 6 bearing assemblies @ $2520. 240,000, 432,000 and 632,000 miles.

Alternators: 7 @ $1417. The original 105 amp was replaced at 262,000 miles. That replacement lasted 1 week. Some alternators were replaced free of charge. Some only labor. The last 3 alternators were 155 amps from NAPA with a lifetime warranty and replaced for free, excluding labor.

Radiator flush and Fill: 5 @ $498

Transmission fluid and filters: 2 @ $320

Air Filters: 8 @ $168

Brakes: Front pads and rotors, $450 changed at 377,000 miles. Still running original rear pads and rotors.

Shocks: Front and rear shocks, front springs @ $715. 377,000 miles.
Replaced all 4 shocks @ 556,755 mi. Life time warranty. $125 for labor which included mounting 2 new tires and rotation.

Deer collision: replace pass. side headlight and turn signal light assembly and grill. $950

Misc Repairs:
-replace sway bar and front brake caliper mount. $400.
-2nd replacement of front brake caliper mounts and turn rotors. $280
-replace T.P. sensor. $132
-replace upper coolant hose. $248
-replace 3 windshields $300. (Panther windshield plan, pay 1st $100)
-replace A.C. tensioner and belt. $201
-differential lube change 2 included in tune-up cost.
-lights, wiper blades misc. parts. $902

Front End: Both upper ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm and alignment $916 @ 516,000 miles

Oil Cooler Gasket:
Replace oil cooler gasket, inlet pick-up O-ring and oil pan gasket. $502 @ 544,000

U-Joints:
Replaceall u-joints (3) and replace rear transmission seal.Also replaced TPS (warranty) and cleaned throttle body. $391 @ 567,000

Total:
$21,230 or .03/mile.

Last edited:

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny thing is, Mr. and Mrs. Average American would be stunned to know that you were even able to get a van to 650K miles! Especially with the original powertrain. Of course, they'd also wonder why you don't just buy a new one, nevermind that the one you have seems to be working like a charm for you.

Good job, Moot :) and many many more miles of smiles to you and your van...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good job, Moot :) and many many more miles of smiles to you and your van...

Thanks Mudder! I'm not sure how much longer I will be running this van. I would like to get into to something I can standup in. I'm intrigued by the upcoming Ford and Dodge vans. The wheelbase on the Ford T-350 is disappointing. When I bought my first van, a new 1998 Chevrolet, I chose the Chevy because of the long wheelbase. The new Dodge has a longer wheelbase but V-6 gasser seems a bit wimpy.

I'd give both the Ford and Dodge vans at least one year of production before I bought one to get the bugs out. Right now I leaning towards a cuber on a GM or Ford chassis. But I have been thinking about that for years without committing. Nobody makes a cargo van to my specifications without some major concessions.

Yearly mpg:
2004 15.89
2005 16.50
2006 16.39
2007 16.29
2008 16.54
2009 17.07
2010 16.94
2011 16.85
2012 16.91

Sometime during 2008 I reduced my freeway cruising speed from 67 mph to 63 mph.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mr Moot that wimpy Chrysler has 280 hp and light light weight. It's looking better all the time.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mr Moot that wimpy Chrysler has 280 hp and light light weight. It's looking better all the time.
True! My 6.0 only has 20 hp. more but it puts out 360 lbs-ft of torque compared to 258 lbs-ft of torque for the Promaster. That's a significant difference, but one I could probably live with.

On paper, for me, the Dodge wins out over the Ford. The long wheelbase and ladder frame are huge pluses. I would like to see some more torque from the Dodge without going to a diesel. Like I said, nobody makes a cargo van to my specs without some concessions on my part.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, could there be a profitable market for custom work and cargo van builders? A company that can take an underpowered underspeced stock P.O.S. and upbuild it into somthing usable work truck.

Bob Wolf.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I could pull the trigger on a new van today, I'd go for one like Hazmat's, or if my ship came in I'd get Westmicher to hook me up :)

My current slop bucket is only 4 years old, so I'm in no rush to get out of it as of yet. However, the next one WILL be either a Transit or ProMaster, if I can help it. Sprinter? Not until they get their problems under control. For the under-10K market, the new Eurovans will make the cubes redundant, IMHO. If I weren't restricted by my eyesight (see http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...ng-carrier-especially-newbies.html#post598275), a 12,300 cube, capable of 4500 lbs over 6 skids with a sleeper taking up the frontmost 3 feet of the box, would probably be a decent start into the business. I know I'd look like a gypsy in a yellow truck, but hey: if you're safe & legal, who cares?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Youre answer for a yellow truck comes from Dupont, P.P.G., and I.C.C. and a good paint guy. Paint work is not cheap but Cost per mile, A good paintjob as long as there is no dammage or rust is arround $5,000-$6,000.For the miles and time you own it the C.P.M. at 150,000 miles .04/mi.

Bob Wolf

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Youre answer for a yellow truck comes from Dupont, P.P.G., and I.C.C. and a good paint guy. Paint work is not cheap but Cost per mile, A good paintjob as long as there is no dammage or rust is arround $5,000-$6,000.For the miles and time you own it the C.P.M. at 150,000 miles .04/mi.

Bob Wolf

See my avatar; I'm not ashamed to drive a yellow truck :)
And yes, it was one of Roger's Road Warriors before I bought it.

The only part of a cube I'd paint would be the box, because the paint is faded and the shadow from the logos is pretty obvious. The cab usually looks pretty good, if you don't mind the canary paint ;)

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Coppy that my Class 6 S/T started its life as an Enterprise unit , I have no bones abbout running a former rental as are properly maintained and Roger already paid the 30% depreciation just for signing the paperwork. Besides by the time we get them the bugs and recalls are already handled.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The following is an update from this thread: Maintenance Costs For A 2004 Cargo Van

Listed below are the costs for maintaining a 2004 Chevrolet 3500, long wheelbase 6.0 V-8 slop bucket, for the first 700,000 miles as it came from the factory. The costs do not include the installation or maintenance of extras such as a bed, insulation, flooring, radios, house batteries etc. It also does not include any towing fees.

Oil, filter and lube: 143 @ $2550. All performed by myself, no labor costs.

Tune-up: 7@ $3675. 1st tune-up included ignition wires from NAPA that were guaranteed for life and replaced for free at following tune-ups. All tune-ups include replacing ignition wires, spark plugs (OEM AC Delco), serpentine and ac belts. 2 differential lube changes were included in tune-ups at 200,000 and 400,000 miles. Other minor repairs, were included as was labor.

Tires: 26 @ $5345 includes alignments.

Front wheel bearings: 6 bearing assemblies @ $2520. 240,000, 432,000 and 632,000 miles.

Alternators: 8 @ $1572. The original 105 amp was replaced at 262,000 miles. That replacement lasted 1 week. Some alternators were replaced free of charge. Some only labor. The last 3 alternators were 155 amps from NAPA with a lifetime warranty and replaced for free, excluding labor.

Radiator flush and Fill: 6 @ $621

Air Filters: 9 @ $187

Brakes: Front pads and rotors, $450 changed at 377,000 miles. Still running original rear pads and rotors.
Front rotors turned, $70.
Front brake caliper mounts replaced and new pads (pads free, warranty item) $209

Replaced all 4 shocks @ 556,755 mi. Life time warranty. $125 for labor which included mounting 2 new tires and rotation.

Deer collision: replace pass. side headlight and turn signal light assembly and grill. $950

Misc Repairs:
-replace 4 windshields $311. (Panther windshield plan, pay 1st $100)(New Panther windshield plan, Panther pays first $250)
-lights, wiper blades misc. parts. $1084
-replace parking brake cables. $303
-replace spare tire hoist thingy. $132
-replace both front headlight assemblies (lenses pitted) $72

Front End: Both upper ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm and alignment $916 @ 516,000 miles

Oil Cooler Gasket:
Replace oil cooler gasket, inlet pick-up O-ring and oil pan gasket. $502 @ 544,000

U-Joints:
Replaceall u-joints (3) and replace rear transmission seal.Also replaced TPS (warranty) and cleaned throttle body. $391 @ 567,000

Total:
$24,632 or 3½ cents/mile.

emlm

Attachments

• odometer 2.JPG
    odometer 2.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
I'd love to see honest, real world numbers like this for a sprinter as well. Not bad!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oil, filter and lube:[/B] 143 @ $2550. All performed by myself, no labor costs paid to another individual or business.

There were labor costs. Your time has value. You could have been doing any number of other things during that time. Now, I'm not saying anything negative about you doing the work. It's great to have that ability. Just pointing out you can't sell yourself short. You don't have to assign a dollar amount but you did pay labor costs none the less.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I buy Valvoline oil and Fram filters at Walmart. The last year or so I've paid about $20 for a 5 quart jug and a filter. My van takes 6 quarts so every fifth oil change requires buying another 5 gallon jug. I have seen oil change places advertise oil changes for $25 so let's call it $30. At $30 that would add an extra $1430 to my maintenance total bringing the cost per mile to almost .0375/mi.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
The following is an update from this thread: Maintenance Costs For A 2004 Cargo Van

Listed below are the costs for maintaining a 2004 Chevrolet 3500, long wheelbase 6.0 V-8 slop bucket, for the first 700,000 miles as it came from the factory. The costs do not include the installation or maintenance of extras such as a bed, insulation, flooring, radios, house batteries etc. It also does not include any towing fees.

Tune-up: 7@ $3675. 1st tune-up included ignition wires from NAPA that were guaranteed for life and replaced for free at following tune-ups. All tune-ups include replacing ignition wires, spark plugs (OEM AC Delco), serpentine and ac belts. 2 differential lube changes were included in tune-ups at 200,000 and 400,000 miles. Other minor repairs, were included as was labor.

Alternators: 8 @ $1572. The original 105 amp was replaced at 262,000 miles. That replacement lasted 1 week. Some alternators were replaced free of charge. Some only labor. The last 3 alternators were 155 amps from NAPA with a lifetime warranty and replaced for free, excluding labor.

Front brake caliper mounts replaced and new pads (pads free, warranty item) $209

Misc Repairs:
-replace 4 windshields $311. (Panther windshield plan, pay 1st $100)(New Panther windshield plan, Panther pays first $250)

Oil Cooler Gasket:

U-Joints:

Total:

emlm

Wow!! That's some great detail. Thank you for posting this!! I love me some Chevy vans. It sounds like you keep MUCH better running records than I do. I pretty much just fix it. Pay the bill. Move on.
But I really do appreciate your work here. Great detail!

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Moot, Thank you for this post, I had a 06 chevy 3500 extended with a 6.0 v8, best engine I ever had. I matched my number to yours and I was just over in cost. I retired and sold the truck with 876,000. Keep going Moot and the best of luck.

MLTransCorp

Rookie Expediter

Misc Repairs:

Oil Cooler Gasket:

U-Joints:

Total:

emlm

Great info, think some suggestions for the benefit of everyone. National Tire and Battery, and sister companies have a one, three, five year alignment program. I have two 16' cubes, have program on both. Alignment checks, and adjustments are free inside program, and with the road conditions today, frequent checks are a good idea. Like you, I pay for the lifetime warranty parts. We have a fleet account with O'RIELLY, and they deliver parts to your address. Came in handy when the front wheel hub went bad at 23:00 on way to make delivery. Cost 350.00 to get towed to destination, but still made delivery, then called O'RIELLY auto parts, they delivered to my crippled truck, I disassembled, and repaired truck, was ready to roll by time freight was starting to hit the boards. Don't know if you have any "hotel" batteries, but I have three AGM 31 commercial (semi) batteries,( they are DOT approved for passenger area, or compartment, so I swapped the Alternator to a 250 A
Also you did not mention whether the brake pads were metalic, or ceramic. The ceramic are a little more expensive, but usually last longer, but I have 4 wheel disks. The last thing I would suggest is synthetic oil, but a high quality filter. I use either bosch, or mobile, with metal screen, and 15,000 mile filter change interval. Just replace the filter till 100,000, then do oil change. Most people forget to change the steering fluid, and the transmission oil should be pumped out every 100,000 to remove the old fluid from the torque convertor, and valve body. The filter with every other fluid change. With most that means the removal of the tranny pan. I have had four 80,000 rigs on road at same time. And maintained them myself as much as posible, including in frame overhaul at 997,000 miles, where cross hatch was still very visible in liners, when run with rotella changed at 25,000, and filters at 12,000, from day truck rolled off assembly line. And today's synthetics are even better and help on fuel milage.
Some may have some issues with these suggestions, but it is their money to waste. I got my Journeyman's card in maintenance in 1979, I was just turning 25 at the time.
Also have ASEE (electronic engineering)(1974). Have worked on electrical, electronic, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatics, done field engineering, to eliminate special problems. Got chauffeur license in 1978. Have also operated, maintained heavy equipment.
Ken

sent from S4 using EO