Cargo Van Insurance

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I am having a devil of a time finding comercial truck insurance for my cargo van. Everyone I call says 'sorry we only handle tractor trailers'. Anybody got an agent they can point me to? I am in Maryland.

--
Mike N

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Check with Auto Owners Insurance,Progressive Insurance, Farmers Mutual Isurance. Tell the Agent You need commercial coverage and what you do.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Maybe the company you are leasing to can help put you in touch with the correct Insurance Company? Let us know how it turns out, OK?

stewart the dog

Expert Expediter
try ooida for insurance, you have to pay a membership fee but it would be worth it if you can get insurance,they seem to understand most types of transportation and the other services they provide can also be useful.

Tony

Expert Expediter
Progressive might be the most expensive. Review what political policies their founder(CEO) contributes to and you might look hard elsewhere. He aims to eliminate the 2nd Amendment.

Stand up for what you believe in, don't do something just because everyone else is!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If 45.00 was paid to ooida I don't think money was wasted. A membership their is designed for representation within the trucking industry. While they do provide insurance for straight trucks and TT,and make money from it, that is not the idea as to why one would pay for a membership. If they charged you 45.00 for the purpose of ONLY obtaining you insurance and failed.....certainly ask for your money back.
Individual commercial insurance for one vehicle will be expensive. Not sure of what a van would be, but a straight truck is around 5,000 per year. That is a figure for the state of FL and TX. Other states may be higher or lower.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Thanks gang. I have a couple extra hours this morning so I will burn up some cell phone time....

;)

--
Mike N

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Thanks Dave. I called Progressive today and was not pleased. $1,670.00 for a *6 month* policy.

I guess we'll try Erie ;)

--
Mike N

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
Mike,

If you still haven't had any luck with insurance, contact Transportation Insurors, Inc. Toll free # is 800-257-7364
I am insured through them and it costs me around 170.00 per month. They're office is in Indiana. I hope this is helpful to you.

Brian

aka us_roadrunner

gojack

Expert Expediter
Yeep's
Progressive is steep!
My Erie is $1530 yr

BUT my insurance is for Local PUD
not sleeping in van

Dave c

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>Yeep's
>Progressive is steep!
>My Erie is $1530 yr
>
>BUT my insurance is for Local PUD
>not sleeping in van
>
>Dave c

Dave if not being too awful nosey what is your liability limit? I have been shopping for $1Million.

--
Mike N

E7mack96

Expert Expediter
try great west casualty.

I just switched to them and saved my fleet $14,000 dollars per yr.

2 million in liability, and 100,000 in cargo.