How has the freight been lately in your part of the country,
Have any of you had any decent long runs lately. Haven't had a
run over 500 miles in over 3 weeks-lot of short runs available
100 to 200 miles- but most require deadhead from point A to
point B to make another pick-up.
How has the rise in fuel prices effected the bottom line. I have
been getting a small fuel surcharge but not enough to cover
increased fuel price. The company I drive for pays all surcharges
to the van-or so they say. Must be a very small fuel surcharge.

All comments welcome

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
well for me i have had to stay almost exclusivly local I just cant afford the return deadhead.. even though my kids are starting to drive me nuts and i really wish i could go to oh i dunno texas maybe :p

sequence

Expert Expediter
I just had a 640 mile run, but like everyone else, deadheading home is too costly to do many of these. Loads are too few and far between right now. Waiting two or three days for a load gets too expensive this time of year to stay out. I'm sure looking forward to warmer weather and hopefully more work!:)

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most of the loads I am getting are under 250 miles and maybe 2 to 3 loads a week.

I really have come to the point of fuel or food. I have figured I am saving some money by coming back home. I can wait day or two out for another load or be home in 5 hrs. So home is winning out.

I am eventually getting back out of my home board. Like now I have been #1 on my board for 3 days. With the Presidents-Day holiday I figure on getting out late Monday night or Tuesday morning.

:'( :'( :'(
JJ

PS: I have been crunching some numbers here, I am making .038 to .057 cents per mile less than what I did 2 years ago and that is WITH the fuel surcharge computed in. Simple basic math we are really hauling for less money every time the fuel goes up!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well My wife and I are new to this business only since May 2002, but trying to get a handle on the fine art of it all. So far the only consistency are the inconsistencies!! We love driving and the people we meet and the challenges of runs on short notice. There only 7-8 of us vans at our company that run U.S. also cars Minis, 5T's and tractors.
We're averaging about 3,000 - 4,000 every pay or 6 - 8,000 Can. per month I don't know if this is good or not?? I have a relatively new van and keep it tuned up and don't speed much only when required...haha
and we really keep an eye on the gas prices it does make a difference why pay 1.75 in Mich. when there 1.60 in Ind.!

Be Safe!

VanMan

Expert Expediter
I would like to know where all these van drivers are and what companies they are working for that are making 1100 dollars per week. I am struggling to get 300 dollars to the van.Deadhead or bonus miles suck.I get 32 miles suggested to me,and end up with 5 miles bonused.My weekends are spent at home,because the freight isn't moving,then come Monday,it takes forever in a day to get something,Monday afternoon.I'm thinking of doing something else!! How can someone sit at a truckstop all weekend long,burn gas,eat,sleep,watch tv,and still make money? But yet I hear drivers are out there making weekend runs,and I never get any? :-(

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
it's been very busy for me but if i dont have anything lined up for the weekend i always deadhead home it's cheaper then spending all weeken at a truckstop or motel.:eek:

TBigLug

Expert Expediter
I am thinking about getting into the business but I don't know where to start. I want to do van expediting but I need some advice. Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
to be quite honest bud at this time I would have to say if you can make a living doing something else do it wait for van rates to go back up.. I know i wouldnt sstart today