Cargo Van Commercial Insurance

kimberlyperson22

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Just got my authority and I have been unable to find commercial insurance for my Cargo Van anywhere! Progressive is the only one that will insure it and they're wanting $1200 a month. Is this right for a CARGO VAN??? Anyone have any other company referrals???

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just got my authority and I have been unable to find commercial insurance for my Cargo Van anywhere! Progressive is the only one that will insure it and they're wanting $1200 a month. Is this right for a CARGO VAN??? Anyone have any other company referrals???
Did You contact CIS ..? They advertise on here . They can help you more than anyone if you want to Run Loads under your Authority... But many Experienced members on this Forum lease to Major Carriers and run under their Authority. Also please note : in the Van segment of this Business most O/OP drive a Sprinter type van , sprinter, transit or promaster . To be honest " The Cargo Van " is Too Short in height and length for most Customers.
But of course You are entitled to your own opinion..

Whatever...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator

I've heard of other vans paying this kind of money for insurance. It depends on many factors, driving record, age, etc, but it also depends on your address. Do you live in New Jersey by any chance?

I paid about $3000 a year here in Tennessee if I paid it once yearly. If I wanted to pay monthly, it would have been more. I got it through CIS, but Progressive was the insurance company. It seemed that Progressive was the only game in town. However, that was years ago, so it might be different nowadays.

guido4475

Not a Member

Are you doing the multicarrier thing?....

So many advantages to just leasing onto a good, honest, large carrier. Cheap insurance is one of them. The power of ONE.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got to do some number crunching myself. I'm not making fun of the OP, looking at expanding horizons myself. But I've been doing this 12 years.

Load boards are less useful than being seen by brokers for direct calls. Maybe this is the "shipping wars" effect?

If insurance is too expensive, just pretend you are personal use and use uship :D

Reactions: ntimevan

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Just talked with a unhappy Ford Transit driver, he said he pays $1000 a month for insurance, plus his van payment, and low rates :eek:

I couldn't imagine doing that o_O

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
You don't mention if you have previously been in Expediting? As mentioned, you may be better off putting your "authority" in your pocket for now and sign on (if your van qualifies) with a carrier that has insurance options available. Otherwise, where do think you will get loads?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You don't mention if you have previously been in Expediting? As mentioned, you may be better off putting your "authority" in your pocket for now and sign on (if your van qualifies) with a carrier that has insurance options available. Otherwise, where do think you will get loads?

Agreed!

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How did you get your authority without ins?

Reactions: guido4475

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats a great question.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's something about 60 days to finalize something. Insurance?

I would have read more carefully but, not sure I want authority yet

Edit: was it a carrier post to head off competition and keep their fleet thru the January blahs? :bag:

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Are you doing the multicarrier thing?....

So many advantages to just leasing onto a good, honest, large carrier. Cheap insurance is one of them. The power of ONE.

She stated she has her own authority.
She is the carrier ....

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

CIS - Commercial Insurance Solutions is the insurance company you want to contact.
For unlimited radius insurance, that is required for this type of work, Progressive is the ONLY option for vans. I check every year, with Geico .. etc ... no luck.

Hate to point out the obvious & I'm just curious .... why haven't you looked into insurance prior to this point?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Damn, never thought about that

Kind of makes this post a possible drive by.

Once you file, there's a period of time to submit proof of insurance before it gets approved.
But it's probably best to do your homework prior to that point ..
I have had my authority since 1999. I believe the ins and listing of agents need to be submitted within a short period of time.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Damn, never thought about that

Kind of makes this post a possible drive by.

Once you file, there's a period of time to submit proof of insurance before it gets approved.
But it's probably best to do your homework prior to that point ..
I have had my authority since 1999. I believe the ins and listing of agents need to be submitted within a short period of time.

You have your own authority but you run for L1.
How exactly does that work?