Can't get a medical card

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For five years I have dreaded posting this, but I must know: Will any carrier accept me without a medical card? Here are the details:

Right eye 20/80 at best correction. Turned down for LASIK twice because the doctors did not see how my eyesight could be improved. Left eye corrects to 20/20. This is what stops me from getting a medical card.

Tried in spring 2010 to get the waiver from the FMCSA. Turned down because, ready for it? I HAVEN'T ALREADY BEEN DRIVING CMV'S :confused: !!

Before trying for the waiver, I had to wait three years for my record to clear up, after a bad patch in early 2007 of 2 wrecks & 3 tickets. I am accident- and violation-FREE since 2/24/07. Also I can P clean because I haven't smoked weed since the Carter Administration :D

I worked as a courier for six long years, in Manhattan. This past February, I gave that up due to a hip injury, which has since healed. Released to full duty by orthopedic surgeon. I still do work for the courier company, on occasion, but I do NOT want to go back to NYC on a regular basis! To do so would be a little, tiny bit like returning to an abusive marriage. I hate the place, and it has nothing to do with the traffic, believe it or not.

I know that I am restricted to C/V's & Sprinters; no problem by me.

For years, I have wanted to be an expediter, but the need for a steady income kept me chained to the courier job. Even now, I know I am at least 6 months from being able to expedite because I need to rebuild my cash after being out hurt.

So I must ask, do I have a chance? I know a lot of companies won't have me, especially the majors (the Fed, Panther, etc), but how about some of the smaller carriers? I know it isn't an insurance thing, 'cause I've been with Progressive for years. I did just get my own authority, but that's a subject for another post.

Awaiting thoughtful, knowledgeable replies. This is a big deal to me so please withhold the smartazz answers this time.

Thanks!

Mud

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Why not call these companies up and ask them directly.
Also if it turns out you can't drive without the medical card
how tied down are you to where you live? Lots of medium size cities run courier services, but with less hassle than NYC

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
If you have your own authority, why fool with leasing to a carrier and all of their(our) rules? The question is, if you had to do your eye exam for a license renewal at the DMV today, could you pass? If you can't, you really don't belong in a driving job of any sort.

Not trying to be mean.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not call these companies up and ask them directly.
Also if it turns out you can't drive without the medical card
how tied down are you to where you live? Lots of medium size cities run courier services, but with less hassle than NYC

Flaw of my nature: I get hurt by being rejected, even though I know **** well it isn't personal. Part of having a bashful nature. It's a long story, but I have striven to raise my children to be a lot more self-confident than I am.

As far as courier services, and moving, I'm not sure how that would go. My wife is comfortable where we are, and has ties to the community, so a big move might not happen for a while. OTOH I am much more of a free spirit; I could live (almost) anywhere. My brother lives in the DC suburbs; I've always been curious to see what van work is like in that area, so maybe I could look into working down there and staying with him M-F and going home on the weekends,

Just the same, I love the open road :D and there are so many places I wanna see: the Midwest, Cali, Bison SD....

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have your own authority, why fool with leasing to a carrier and all of their(our) rules? The question is, if you had to do your eye exam for a license renewal at the DMV today, could you pass? If you can't, you really don't belong in a driving job of any sort.

Not trying to be mean.

Could I pass an eye exam? Yes, for a vehicle < 10k. Problem is, the standards for driving a CMV are stricter than they are for a regular license. And thanks Jeff, I know you're just being honest, not mean. Thanks for that.

As far as using my authority, of course I should! But one question: Where the h-e-double-l does a guy get loads for a cargo van? Most load boards show 10,000 semi loads and maybe 1 or 2 for a C/V :confused:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Just the same, I love the open road :D and there are so many places I wanna see: the Midwest, Cali, Bison SD....

If you blink you might miss Bison, SD
I know you hate rejection, but start calling the smaller companies, the ones that don't require a class B and go from there
Good Luck!!!

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you blink you might miss Bison, SD
I know you hate rejection, but start calling the smaller companies, the ones that don't require a class B and go from there
Good Luck!!!

That is what I shall do, then :) .
Besides, I got at least one girl to say yes to me, and our 25th is next Tuesday :D

Hopefully I can get a few loads in the meantime, especially one to SW Ohio on the Thursday before the expo!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
call a broker. get in that game. try eclipse for example.
i have a problem with the eye cart also on one side. even had new glasses the nite before. lookin' like a mute point now.

Last edited: