Canada Canadian newb

Teager

Rookie Expediter
Good Day,

I'm a newb that has applied to Thompson in Ontario. I've spent the last 10 years in the military and am now being medically released. I have tried to read as much as possible about being a Sprinter o/o. I've also read through some of the newbie threads here.

If there are any tips or advice anyone can give me that would be great. I find it tough finding information on the Canadian experience of an o/o. I know what you can make can vary but does anyway know what can be somewhat expected on average with Thompson either monthly or weekly?

I am also on the hunt for a Sprinter. If anyone wants to give there opinion on must have equipment please feel free.

Thanks,

Teager

DST001

Expert Expediter
Hello Teager I would advise you to stay away from the sprinters they cost a crap ton of money when they break and if you break down in the middle of BFI it will cost you a pretty penny to get it towed to the nearest sprinter dealer.I know this from experience I had a sprinter your regular backyard mechanic will not even touch them you might try looking for a Dodge Protester it's the same thing as a sprinter length and height wise and a lot cheaper on maintenance I hope this helps DST001

Teager

Rookie Expediter
Thanks DST001. Did you mean the Dodge Promaster? I am open to any van I've also looked at the Ford Transit but don't know much about them yet since there brand new.

DST001

Expert Expediter
Yes the Dodge Promaster and Ford Transit or even look at a Gm Chevy single rear wheel cutaway 12 footer that's what I have cheap to repair and parts are available hope this helps

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yes the Dodge Promaster and Ford Transit or even look at a Gm Chevy single rear wheel cutaway 12 footer that's what I have cheap to repair and parts are available hope this helps
It's actually a RAM Promaster... RAM is Chrysler's commercial division.

awdsubaru

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Teager...

I am in the same boat... Just doing lots of research and asking questions. I too have spoken with Thompson and a few others.

I am also quite busy with researching the sprinter and the ProMaster. I have gone to MB and looked at it and priced it out. I have read a lot about the promaster on the promaster forum. The diesel 2500 dodge seems to getting regularly 25mpg and up to 28mpg, which is quite a bit better then the sprinter( 20-22mpg). These numbers are based on actual trip reports from the other forum. And in the states, you never know just how far away you might be from a MB dealer.. and does that MB dealer work on sprinters? There certainly are lots of Dodge dealers everywhere.

Best of luck, and please let us know where you end up working, and what your driving!

Teager

Rookie Expediter
Teager...

I am in the same boat... Just doing lots of research and asking questions. I too have spoken with Thompson and a few others.

I am also quite busy with researching the sprinter and the ProMaster. I have gone to MB and looked at it and priced it out. I have read a lot about the promaster on the promaster forum. The diesel 2500 dodge seems to getting regularly 25mpg and up to 28mpg, which is quite a bit better then the sprinter( 20-22mpg). These numbers are based on actual trip reports from the other forum. And in the states, you never know just how far away you might be from a MB dealer.. and does that MB dealer work on sprinters? There certainly are lots of Dodge dealers everywhere.

Best of luck, and please let us know where you end up working, and what your driving!

Unfortunately for me I have applied to Thompson, Pival, and Walter Macdougall and was turned down by all. I"m having a bit of trouble understanding why maybe it's because I live outside of Toronto an hour away or has something to do with my military career(was injured overseas) but still good to drive (cleared by the doctor with medical). If anyone has any other suggestions or companies that are hiring let me know. I know there is still TST and RJR is out of the question. Thanks for everyone's info and help thus far.

Teager

awdsubaru

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately for me I have applied to Thompson, Pival, and Walter Macdougall and was turned down by all. I"m having a bit of trouble understanding why maybe it's because I live outside of Toronto an hour away or has something to do with my military career(was injured overseas) but still good to drive (cleared by the doctor with medical). If anyone has any other suggestions or companies that are hiring let me know. I know there is still TST and RJR is out of the question. Thanks for everyone's info and help thus far.

Teager

Wow... Sorry to hear you were turned away... I wonder why. I have spoken to all of those companies as well, they certainly give the impression that if you have a fast card, and a clean driving record, you would be good to go, no issues. I would hate to buy a truck to only find out no one will hire me!

Why did you say RJR is out of the question? I havent spoken to them yet, I have left a message for there recruiter.

Best of luck in your search!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow... Sorry to hear you were turned away... I wonder why. I have spoken to all of those companies as well, they certainly give the impression that if you have a fast card, and a clean driving record, you would be good to go, no issues. I would hate to buy a truck to only find out no one will hire me!

Why did you say RJR is out of the question? I havent spoken to them yet, I have left a message for there recruiter.

Not very safety minded. They will run you into the ground and expect you to do another load with little as sleep as possible and I'm not talking short runs either. Usually Mi to Laredo or Canada to Laredo and then a return trip back to north. Not good my book.

Teager

Rookie Expediter

Yes, they all sound like its easy to get hired but I'm sure they all get numerous applicants and can only hire so many. I held off on buying a van since most say they will assist you in getting one once hired. If you do buy a van before hand and don't get employment thru one of the companies there is always local courier work in the GTA until you get something better. I got my FAST card beforehand and had a clean driving record but who knows why just not in the cards maybe.

I have heard of numerous issues with RJR as stated above so I would stay away from them.

Nurvus

Rookie Expediter

Teager

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. This echoes my limited experience with Pival... they sounded very interested, like it was a done deal, just finish up the application process. Then I'm told "Sorry, we've decided to go with an experienced driver." But they still have their Kijiji Ad running to this day.

I've already spent about $100 and countless hours of my time getting ready to apply to the other companies, but still need to get my medical ($60-$100) and drive once more to CBP ($45 gas). Now I'm thinking I should cut my losses and forget about it (I have a minor medical issue, but will still pass my exam).

Just out of curiosities sake, I applied to some local van driving jobs and once they found out I had no experience, they lost interest. I don't understand why it's so hard to get a job driving a freaking van! lol.

Teager

Rookie Expediter
Because they don't want to hold your hand while you are doing your job.

I wouldn't expect that in any job. Considering my background and experience I honestly don"t believe the job is very difficult and I would not require any hand holding.

Nurvus

Rookie Expediter
Because they don't want to hold your hand while you are doing your job.

Hand-holding?!? Seriously?!?

At least with expediting, maybe it's more that they don't want to waste time on someone who might end up hating the lifestyle and bailing out after a short period of time.