Canada Canadian Authority

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am based in upstate NY and thought about getting a Canadian truck authority have had my us authority for abbout four years. Dose anyone know how i go about doing this for a strait truck opperation. I see decent loads in and out of Ontario regularly but cant touch them. So far I found Garbage on the net for information also do non CDL strait trucks under 26000 lbs GVW need to be speed limited in Canada?

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just go to Canada Customs at the border and apply for Cargo authority..you'd be responsible for having your own pars printed up

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
No you don't need to be speed limited. And to get your authority, go to the MTO's website (Ministry of Transportation Ontario). You would need a CVOR.. as well as the numbers from each border so you can do your paps and pars. If you go into Quebec you might need more than that. And of course, insurance to cover both sides of the border. What are you driving?

I am based in upstate NY and thought about getting a Canadian truck authority have had my us authority for abbout four years. Dose anyone know how i go about doing this for a strait truck opperation. I see decent loads in and out of Ontario regularly but cant touch them. So far I found Garbage on the net for information also do non CDL strait trucks under 26000 lbs GVW need to be speed limited in Canada?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Used to like the old line release system into the US...then everything changed for the better..:eek:
One thing you could count on with the US every border crossing had different rules..:rolleyes:

The Pars system has never really changed...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One agent said he wouldn't let me cross because a FAST card doesnt replace a passport. It took him about 10 minutes to read the 1 paragraph I had printed out from their own website before he grunted and welcomed me to his country :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
What happened with that? I haven't heard anything about it being reversed.

Not reversed... not applicable to 'c' units.

Regulation:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900587_e.htm

Speed-Limiting Systems

12. For the purposes of section 68.1 of the Act,
“commercial motor vehicle” means a commercial motor vehicle as defined in subsection 1 (1) of the Act. O. Reg. 396/08, s. 1.
13. (1) A commercial motor vehicle is exempt from subsections 68.1 (1), (2), (3) and (6) of the Act if it is,
(a) a bus;
(b) a mobile crane;
(c) a motor home;
(d) a vehicle manufactured before 1995;
(e) a vehicle with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating under 11,794 kilograms; or
(f) an ambulance, a cardiac arrest emergency vehicle, or a fire apparatus. O. Reg. 396/08, s. 1.
(2) For the purposes of clauses 1 (d) and (e), the date that a commercial motor vehicle was manufactured and its manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating shall be deemed, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to be,
(a) the date and weight on the commercial motor vehicle’s compliance label; or
(b) where a commercial motor vehicle does not have a compliance label affixed or the label is illegible, a document from the vehicle’s manufacturer that is carried by the driver and that references the vehicle’s vehicle identification number and indicates its year of manufacture and gross vehicle weight rating. O. Reg. 396/08, s. 1.

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Yepper, unfortunately ;/
Altho.. it seems obvious to me that many trucks aren't limited because they're definitely going faster than 105, not sure what's up with that, perhaps just not caught yet?